Florida Fishing - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2021, 10:05 AM   #1
GAFF TRACKER
Registered Users-pm+

GAFF TRACKER is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Florida Fishing

I'm not sure if this is the right section so forgive me if so.

I'm planning on a trip to Florida mid April and also plan on trailering my boat so I have a few questions.

My friend that has been a few times says if I'm taking the boat then the south tip (Key Largo) is a must. I originally planned to go to Destin but he said that's basically the same as Galveston Bay with prettier water.
Is this true?

Also since I'm leaning towards the south tip, is there any spots that are better than others? Anything I should know other than license ect. before launching?

I plan on fishing everything for everything including my spin, baitcast and also 8wt fly.

This is going to be a close to 2 week trip so that's why I plan on taking my own boat.

Sled is a classic 17' Mako

Any advice is appreciated and thanks!
GAFF TRACKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2021, 10:20 AM   #2
1528mac
Sharing is Careing

1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate
So where are you planning to actually go, or are you still trying to decide? I've trailered my boat several times to Fla. I've also lived in Fla, Madeira Beach, Jacksonville, Key West, had a condo in Perdido Key near Pensacola also. What are wanting to fish for? How long do you plan on staying?

Ok, just reread, two weeks, mostly spin cast and flyrod.
If, and only if you haven't been to the keys, that's a great place. I don't do flyrods, but spin is ok for the small games. You can do both around any of the mangroves in the shallows anywhere from Key Largo to Key West. Most of the interior mangroves start around Big Pine Key and southward.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Last edited by 1528mac; 02-19-2021 at 10:27 AM.
1528mac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2021, 11:03 AM   #3
GAFF TRACKER
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1528mac View Post
So where are you planning to actually go, or are you still trying to decide? I've trailered my boat several times to Fla. I've also lived in Fla, Madeira Beach, Jacksonville, Key West, had a condo in Perdido Key near Pensacola also. What are wanting to fish for? How long do you plan on staying?

Ok, just reread, two weeks, mostly spin cast and flyrod.
If, and only if you haven't been to the keys, that's a great place. I don't do flyrods, but spin is ok for the small games. You can do both around any of the mangroves in the shallows anywhere from Key Largo to Key West. Most of the interior mangroves start around Big Pine Key and southward.

Key Largo is what my buddy is saying the best bet is.

My plan is to drive to Key Largo, fish for about a week while the misses does whatever she wants to do. Then on the trip back stop in the Destin area so we can be beach bums.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I hear the sandy beach selection in the Keys isn't the best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2021, 11:54 AM   #4
1528mac
Sharing is Careing

1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate1528mac has been promoted to Pirate
No such thing as sand in the keys, it's a misnomer for the most part. Biggest beach area is Smathers beach...sucks!
Beaches from Destin to Pensacola, or more south from Clearwater downward are the best.

During the last ice age (100,000 years ago) sea level dropped, exposing the ancient coral reefs and sand bars which became fossilized over time to form the rock that makes up the island chain today. The two dominate rock formations in the Keys are Key Largo Limestone and Miami Oolite.

Have a great time!

Old 02-19-2021, 12:08 PM   #5
1528mac
Sharing is Careing

The airport runway lenght is a tad over 5K', Smathers beach just down the street from there is about 3/4 that size, us high school kids, 60s era, used it as our drinking hangout...yea, I'm a KW Conch. Left there right after they gave me a diploma!

Old 02-19-2021, 12:43 PM   #6
GAFF TRACKER
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1528mac View Post
No such thing as sand in the keys, it's a misnomer for the most part. Biggest beach area is Smathers beach...sucks!
Beaches from Destin to Pensacola, or more south from Clearwater downward are the best.

During the last ice age (100,000 years ago) sea level dropped, exposing the ancient coral reefs and sand bars which became fossilized over time to form the rock that makes up the island chain today. The two dominate rock formations in the Keys are Key Largo Limestone and Miami Oolite.

Have a great time!

It's sounding like Key Largo is the direction to go for the fishing.
Thanks for your input!
Old 02-19-2021, 08:49 PM   #7
fisheye48
Registered Users-pm+

fisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Piratefisheye48 has been promoted to Pirate
figure out what you wanna do and what you wanna fish for. Florida is very diverse from the panhandle to middle of the state to the keys.

You want quiet and great fishing opportunities close and within a hour or 2 drive? go to the panhandle to the big bend area.

The middle of the state and south are more populated which mean more things to do after you get off the boat. Fishing is great but (in my experiences) its alot more temperamental to weather/tides/fishing pressure.

I may be a little biased because i spent most of my life fishing the panhandle most of my life.
fisheye48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2021, 04:56 AM   #8
[email protected]
Water Dog

cavenat@sbcglobal.net is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I just left Islamorada, very unpredictable right now. Very windy time of year. I fished inshore with Capt Mark, Dauntless guide service. He’s a veteran and has been in the Keys for the past 10 yrs. fishing was challenging. Beautiful water. Out target fish were: Trout, Redfish, Snapper. Didn’t catch any keepers.

As mentioned earlier, all beaches in Keys are mostly crushed coral. Pretty to look at. We are now in St. Augustine, Florida. Most beautiful beach’s I have ever been to on Atlantic side of Florida.

Last edited by [email protected]; 02-20-2021 at 05:02 AM.
cavenat@sbcglobal.net is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2021, 11:44 AM   #9
Trouthappy
Registered Users-pm+

Trouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to Pirate
Check out the coastal bend in Florida, made up of Keaton Beach, Steinhatchee and Horseshoe Beach. That's old Florida. Tiny towns. The water is always clear and has about 50 miles of grass bottoms there. Trout Central. All redfish are caught along the shorelines. Mid-April is great for drift-fishing a mile offshore in 6-9 feet of water where mackerel and ladyfish will be arriving too. Motel rooms are about $80 and there is camping as low as $10. The entire coast is forest, and an east wind doesn't affect the boats. Zero litter on the grassy shorelines. In April we've had 50 trout days, and sometimes 50 trout mornings. Trout bag limit has been five fish for 25 years. Very few guides there.

Last edited by Trouthappy; 02-20-2021 at 11:49 AM.
Trouthappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2021, 10:34 PM   #10
Sac-a-lait Trey
Semper Piscandi

Sac-a-lait Trey has been promoted to PirateSac-a-lait Trey has been promoted to PirateSac-a-lait Trey has been promoted to PirateSac-a-lait Trey has been promoted to PirateSac-a-lait Trey has been promoted to PirateSac-a-lait Trey has been promoted to PirateSac-a-lait Trey has been promoted to PirateSac-a-lait Trey has been promoted to PirateSac-a-lait Trey has been promoted to PirateSac-a-lait Trey has been promoted to PirateSac-a-lait Trey has been promoted to Pirate
Have a great trip! Be sure your trailer is all set. That is a long haul. For example, Houston to Key Largo is 35 hours round-trip.
Sac-a-lait Trey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message