Rod Alternative to a Sarge Customs - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2020, 10:17 AM   #1
doyou
i fish

doyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Pirate
Rod Alternative to a Sarge Customs

Well I am on sarge priest rod #3 to break and as much as I love his rods, I want to look at the alternatives and decide on my next move .. I always see laguna rods mentioned ... looking for something around its same weight and action as a sarge but maybe not in the $400 range this time

Sarge #1: Broke mid cast with a lure

Sarge #2: Broke mid fight with a jack

Sarge #3: Broke mid fight with a red
doyou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2020, 10:42 AM   #2
SSST
Registered Users-pm+

SSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to Pirate
Waterloo Slam Mag possibly?
SSST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2020, 10:56 AM   #3
mgonzalez
Registered Users-pm+

mgonzalez is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Dang, seems like a bunch of bad luck. I like Waterloo Slam Mag and Ultra Mag. I GLoomis break on me once but it was where the guide was tied. Having made rods in the past, I believe that happens when the guide is wrapped too tight. However,it seems yours did not break near a guide.
mgonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2020, 12:04 PM   #4
[email protected]
Registered Users-pm+

EJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to Pirate
The cause of rod failures, especially expensive custom rods, are always a heart-breaker and little understood by anglers. We ran a very comprehensive piece in Texas Saltwater Fishing Magazine's July 2020 issue. That issue is now part of the archives section of our digital magazine and 100% free access to the public. I want to invite everybody reading this thread to go to our website (TSFMag.com)and check it out. The author is one of the foremost authorities on fishing rod manufacture and fishing rod failures.
EJ@TSFMag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2020, 12:08 PM   #5
Gilbert
Registered Users-pm+

Gilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to PirateGilbert has been promoted to Pirate
I see 2 breaks that were caused by the fisherman. hard to pass the blame on the builder on those. Might want to look at Ugly Sticks.
Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2020, 12:51 PM   #6
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

ReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyou View Post
Sarge #1: Broke mid cast with a lure

Sarge #2: Broke mid fight with a jack

Sarge #3: Broke mid fight with a red
Were Sarge rods #2 and #3 replacements for the previous rod breakage?

If I had a rod break while casting or fighting a fish, I would assume they got a bad batch of blanks and demand it be replaced. I have a hard time believing Sarge would continue to replace defective product with more defective product. Heck, I have a hard time believing they wouldn't notice they had a bad batch and returned them to the source. Now if you bought all three at the same time, that would explain it.

The only other thing I have ever seen happen where rods broke on a cast or during a fight was someone (not me) had banged some rods around in the bed of his truck in transport - broke 2 rods that day.

But hey you want to move on, Laguna makes excellent rods as well. I have two of theirs.
ReedA1691 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2020, 01:41 PM   #7
doyou
i fish

doyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Piratedoyou has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
I see 2 breaks that were caused by the fisherman. hard to pass the blame on the builder on those. Might want to look at Ugly Sticks.

care to inform me what i did wrong (no sarcasm) but if i keep having rods break maybe its me , but ive caught jacks and bulls on all star rods castaways or a custom back bay rod no issues.

I just assumed cause these blanks are lighter and thinner it takes less .. not blaming the builder at all on any of these , Sarge is an awesome guy with awesome rods. sat in his booth with him and drank beer and shot the **** for hours before
Old 08-04-2020, 01:41 PM   #8
Drundel
Registered Users-pm+

Drundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to Pirate
Check out Laguna and Fishstix.

But if you still want a good rod without spending that much (esp if you aren't wading), I like my Castaway.
Drundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2020, 01:43 PM   #9
doyou
i fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReedA1691 View Post
Were Sarge rods #2 and #3 replacements for the previous rod breakage?

If I had a rod break while casting or fighting a fish, I would assume they got a bad batch of blanks and demand it be replaced. I have a hard time believing Sarge would continue to replace defective product with more defective product. Heck, I have a hard time believing they wouldn't notice they had a bad batch and returned them to the source. Now if you bought all three at the same time, that would explain it.

The only other thing I have ever seen happen where rods broke on a cast or during a fight was someone (not me) had banged some rods around in the bed of his truck in transport - broke 2 rods that day.

But hey you want to move on, Laguna makes excellent rods as well. I have two of theirs.

#2 was a replacement after #1 broke and #3 was a replacement after #2 but i sent him the rods so he could use the eyes and other parts for the rebuilds

All rods are transported in the boat and stored hanging up on the wall when not fishing
Old 08-04-2020, 01:47 PM   #10
impulse
'81 Aggie

impulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirateimpulse has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The cause of rod failures, especially expensive custom rods, are always a heart-breaker and little understood by anglers. We ran a very comprehensive piece in Texas Saltwater Fishing Magazine's July 2020 issue. That issue is now part of the archives section of our digital magazine and 100% free access to the public. I want to invite everybody reading this thread to go to our website (TSFMag.com)and check it out. The author is one of the foremost authorities on fishing rod manufacture and fishing rod failures.
Excellent article. Thanks for pointing us to it!
impulse is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message