Drum Bay in Summertime - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2020, 03:30 PM   #1
Stephen2374
Registered Users-pm+

Stephen2374 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Drum Bay in Summertime

Hey guys - I’m trying to pull my fishing plan together. How is Drum bay during this time of year? I know its shallow/mud/shell - but trying to determine if water will be too hot given the depth. Just trying to figure out if it can be productive or not - not been there. I have a solo skiff - so I can get shallow. Thanks in advance!
Stephen2374 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2020, 02:43 PM   #2
Aggieangler
Fin-ish Fantasy ('93)

Aggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to PirateAggieangler has been promoted to Pirate
I think a few places on the coast go by this name. What bay system and approximate location are you referring to?
Aggieangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2020, 02:51 PM   #3
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
If you mean Drum Bay there next to CHRISTMAS bay and COLD pass.....

Think about it..... the names tell you when to go there....
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2020, 02:02 PM   #4
karstopo
Taking shots at fish

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
I have fished Drum Bay in the summer for a long time. I think it actually can be a good summer bay to fish and would for sure pick it over Christmas bay in the summer. Drum bay is so shallow in so many places it’s almost more a marsh lake than a bay. Seems like some of these really shallow lakes/bays can cool off at night enough to be pretty good in the relative cool of the mornings, especially if they have some deeper water refuge nearby, Drum Bay certainly qualifies on that respect. But, then again I’ve even caught some very nice slot redfish in a foot of water, sun ablazing in the heat of July or August midday. Redfish are pretty durable and don’t seem all that adverse to warmer water. You will likely wilt before they do.

I fish Drum bay a lot out of a Commander kayak, which is really a small stand up and fish non-motorized skiff, that’s how I use mine anyway. Pretty easy bay to cover in small, shallow drafting boats and those that are relatively slow. All that shell in there discourages many of the bigger, faster power boat cruisers running around at high speed doing whatever it is they do in some of the more wide open deeper waters.

I haven’t fished much this year nor have any of my fishing logs handy so I don’t have any recent information on patterns and such. I find it to be an enjoyable bay to fish and there could very likely be some sight fishing opportunities if that’s what you are after. Lots of shell most everywhere so bring plenty of leader/tippet and few extra lures/flies. No guarantees, might be a dud on any given day or tide, but it could be great. Lot’s of other water nearby to look at if Drum bay isn’t your cup of tea. Any satellite photo of the area will point the way. There isn’t any water over there around Drum that never, well almost never, doesn’t have fish and most the water has some good fish, at least redfish, some of the time. I sort of avoid Christmas bay and Cold Pass in the warm months, but never have felt the same way about Drum bay or some of the surrounding marsh areas.
karstopo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2020, 05:20 PM   #5
fish4food
Registered Users-pm+

fish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Pirate
Biggrin

^^^ don’t listen to that guy.

No fish in Drum or Christmas.
fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #6
Stephen2374
Registered Users-pm+

Stephen2374 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Thanks a ton guys - I went down last weekend and fished drum. Had some success chasing birds, and caught a few specs. It was a windy day for sure, but learned a ton...as always
Stephen2374 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2020, 07:31 AM   #7
JimD
JimD

JimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to Pirate
Check where Drum runs into Christmas. This is where the old ICW ran thru before time.

Used to be some deeper water right at the neck. Rattlesnake pt. area.

Lot of oyster shell on the reef and do not step out of the kayak in some places as the mud was a-- deep or close.

Used to launch at the old condos but not sure they are there any more at the upper end of Ch. Not fished the area is some years.
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message