Chandeleur Island Fishing - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2020, 07:54 AM   #1
flatland fisher
Registered Users-pm+

flatland fisher is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Chandeleur Island Fishing

good to be back on 2 cool !! but have a question for our trip 12 friends of over 40 years are headed to fish Chandeleur Islands will be fishing OCT 1 2 3 this year! if you have been we would enjoy your in put on this trip --Thanks
flatland fisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2020, 09:33 AM   #2
mac8111
Registered Users-pm+

mac8111 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnermac8111 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnermac8111 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnermac8111 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnermac8111 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnermac8111 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnermac8111 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnermac8111 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnermac8111 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnermac8111 has been promoted to the rank of Gunnermac8111 has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
My random thoughts :

Wear pants. Those horsefly things out on the island can be pesky. I also bought some cheap Haines bicycle shorts to wear under them. Three days of wading saltwater can wear on your thighs.

Take you some Gulps. Just do it.

Don’t throw an expensive lure in the surf if you aren’t willing to lose it to things with sharp teeth.

We had a group rule that everyone needed to wear ray guards. That way the trip isn’t cut short by injury. I also bought one of those auto inflatable life vest to wear when we were running around.

You won’t get cell service out there but if you download Motion X GPS, it uses satellites and is a big help In Regards to you finding the places you caught fish again. Play around with it a lot this summer and become familiar with it. You should also be able to enter some waypoints if you want.

I’ll think of more stuff later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mac8111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2020, 06:10 PM   #3
Shalor96
Registered Users-pm+

Shalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of BosunShalor96 has been promoted to the rank of Bosun
We’re supposed to go next week, but I postponed my trip until next summer. I’m a healthcare worker and just couldn’t risk that the two guys on the ship that are taking care of us haven’t caught the virus(and are asymptomatic). Thought about it real hard. Really want to go, but decided going to just take my son, friend and his son to Baffin and fish from my Haynie. Chandeleur’s are an awesome place to fish. I bet it will be good this summer and fall after lighter fishing pressure during this pandemic.
Shalor96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2020, 07:53 AM   #4
flatland fisher
Registered Users-pm+

thanks for the info the web site is not really full of info--the ray guards are a must i have seen some of the injuries out there.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:22 PM   #5
Scott1234
Registered Users-pm+

Scott1234 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Bring handheld vhf. You’ll get 1 per 2 people. When wading it is best 1 radio per person.
Bring inflatable pfd . Much more comfortable than ski jackets provided.
Get a very long stringer to keep sharks away.
Only baits I bring are topdogs and plastics.
Weeds can be bad, consider rigging weed less. Floating and submerged weeds.
Deckhand trolled a coo pop for tarpon. Got 6 bull reds in 4 hours. Consider trolling something.
Scott1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2020, 09:39 AM   #6
jpcajun
Registered Users-pm+

jpcajun is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Went 2 years ago and went last year.... and planning on going back this year in July. When we went, we didnt fish the surf because too rough... stayed on the bayside. Drift over every grass flat you can find. bring an assortment of colors for plastic and have different boats (and fishermen) try different colors until you find a color that is hitting. If calm in mornings, use bone colored topwater and have fun! Late in the morning and late in the evening, find the baitfish, they school like crazy out there. once you find them, work the schools of bait. Deeper water and deeper grass flats towards the houseboats; shallower grassflats around redfish point. We mainly used soft plastics either on a jig head working it a foot below the surface or soft plastic under popping cork. Lemon Head was a popular color when we went .
jpcajun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #7
metal man
Metal Man

metal man has been promoted to Piratemetal man has been promoted to Piratemetal man has been promoted to Piratemetal man has been promoted to Piratemetal man has been promoted to Piratemetal man has been promoted to Piratemetal man has been promoted to Piratemetal man has been promoted to Piratemetal man has been promoted to Piratemetal man has been promoted to Piratemetal man has been promoted to Pirate
if weather permitting make a trip to the surf side and check it out. Had trips the last three years and gong back this year, end of Aug. Depending on your mother ship and where they like to stay they will tell you the best pass to take, little walk but worth it. Yes long pants, those horse flies are crossed with red wasp i think , they'll get ya. What charter are you using? Most will have radios for you on the boat. I killed them on Down south last year, lot of top waters and always a gold spoon. True in surf, throw your old stuff they'll hit but last years I got broke off on my first 3 cast. Saw more sharks last year than ever before but have had trips I didn't see any. We had really good fish last year 20 fish over 20" with 26" being the largest.Enjoy, it is a fun place.
metal man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2020, 07:43 AM   #8
Whitey
"Converting Bait to Filets Since 1964"

Whitey has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWhitey has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWhitey has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWhitey has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWhitey has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWhitey has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWhitey has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWhitey has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWhitey has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWhitey has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMasterWhitey has been promoted to the rank of QuarterMaster
Downsize. The fish there seem to like smaller baits. I caught my largest trout in the surf on a Le Le, not a big topwater.

Don't string any bloody fish in the surf. Don't keep Spanish mackerel on your stringer. There are some gigantic sharks there and they are not stringer shy.

Where pants. Magellan makes some awesome wading pants.

You'll have lots of opportunities to fish birds. Some will have trout and others will have skip jacks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Whitey is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2020, 07:47 AM   #9
flatland fisher
Registered Users-pm+

thanks for all the info we cant wait to go !!! we are going on down south out f MISS one guy called the other day and bought hie fishing license--out of Miss==it was funny at teh time--thanks again to all