Mono vs. Fluorocarbon Leader - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2020, 08:15 PM   #1
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
Mono vs. Fluorocarbon Leader

I hope this isn't a repeat of another thread, but I didn't see it. It's pretty important to me. I know a lot of people have asked about why to use that very expensive fluoro leader, instead of mono. The two big reasons people list for fluoro is visibility and abrasion resistance. I don't care much about the visibility, except maybe in gin-clear water. But abrasion resistance is a big deal, and it's for that reason I shell out the ridiculous price for fluorocarbon leader material.

The video below is, I think, pretty well done. Most importantly, I think the experiment is well done and repeatable. I watched it several times to be sure he was comparing apples to apples, and he pretty much covered all the bases. I don't know whether it is a perfect parallel for the nicks we get fishing shell, but it really made me re-think the whole thing. I'd like to see what some of the rest of you think.

For the record, I like to fish with 30# braid and 25# leader. I think the 25# is more than enough, and if I absolutely HAVE to make a choice, I'll re-tie a leader before having to splice a main line on my reel.

pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2020, 08:51 PM   #2
Prizepig
>*)))><

Prizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to Pirate
Good video. I would have bet against the mono for sure. I use the Andes that was in the video myself. Gonna have to reconsider now as my main reason for using was abrasion resistance and not so much the visibility aspect.
Prizepig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2020, 08:52 PM   #3
ddakota
Registered Users-pm+

ddakota has been promoted to Pirateddakota has been promoted to Pirateddakota has been promoted to Pirateddakota has been promoted to Pirateddakota has been promoted to Pirateddakota has been promoted to Pirateddakota has been promoted to Pirateddakota has been promoted to Pirateddakota has been promoted to Pirateddakota has been promoted to Pirateddakota has been promoted to Pirate
Very interesting. I use mono because I don’t like sinking fluoro, especially when throwing top water lures. Always thought the sinking fluoro made it more difficult to “walk the dog”.

Never worried about line visibility, except in winter, water is never clear enough for that to be an issue, plus the game fish don’t like gin clear water. They want some turbidity to hide in, that’s why we fish the edges of the streaks in clear winter water.

Never had a problem with the mono, but I don’t catch many snook in my neck of the woods.
ddakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2020, 08:55 PM   #4
Flat Nasty
Registered Users-pm+

Flat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to PirateFlat Nasty has been promoted to Pirate
If you don’t fish hard structure or shell a lot I don’t think you need it. I tie straight braid most the time . Some say in clear water you need a something but I used to live right there in Aransas pass and I fished no leader all the time with no issues catching fish in clear water. Plus the ticking through my rod eyes From the knot drives me insane.
Flat Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2020, 09:32 PM   #5
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddakota View Post
Never had a problem with the mono, but I don’t catch many snook in my neck of the woods.
When I fish jigs on shell or even mixed shell, the last 2"-3" of leader takes a beating. But the same thing happens when I'm fishing smaller plastic and really catching a lot of trout. Trout teeth will nick the leader pretty badly.

I don't know any way to say this and not sound dumb - I don't cut and re-tie as often as I should. So abrasion resistance is sort of a big deal to me. I've gone with fluoro leader just because "everybody" says that it's better. But in the back of my mind, I've wondered for a long time if it was really performing any better than normal 25# mono.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Nasty View Post
If you don’t fish hard structure or shell a lot I don’t think you need it. I tie straight braid most the time . Some say in clear water you need a something but I used to live right there in Aransas pass and I fished no leader all the time with no issues catching fish in clear water. Plus the ticking through my rod eyes From the knot drives me insane.

One thing I've found is that braid really is susceptible to nicks and abrasion. After Hurricane Harvey, I rented a place down at Packery Channel for a month, and I chunked jigs off the rocks quite a lot. I was tying direct, without a leader, partly because of that same knot clicking you talked about. I started noticing the last bit of my braid getting "fuzzy", and it surprised me how quickly it happened. I decided to compromise on about a 3' leader that I didn't have to reel into the eyes.

I don't disagree with you at all. But the way I fish a lot, I try to use a leader. But I'm also a tightwad, and I don't want to buy expensive fluoro if mono is just as abrasion resistant.
pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2020, 09:48 PM   #6
Prizepig
>*)))><

Prizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to PiratePrizepig has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prizepig View Post
Good video. I would have bet against the mono for sure. I use the Andes that was in the video myself. Gonna have to reconsider now as my main reason for using was abrasion resistance and not so much the visibility aspect.
I said Andes but meant Seaguar.....
Prizepig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2020, 11:34 PM   #7
hurricane matt
Registered Users-pm+

hurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Piratehurricane matt has been promoted to Pirate
Double unit knot between braid and 30lb trilene to kreh loop. Or braid with improved clinch to yellow bag swivel then 30 lb leader to kreh to jig or whatever is my usual.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
hurricane matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2020, 07:39 AM   #8
Blutarsky
Registered Users-pm+

Blutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of RiggerBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane matt View Post
Double unit knot between braid and 30lb trilene to kreh loop. Or braid with improved clinch to yellow bag swivel then 30 lb leader to kreh to jig or whatever is my usual.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I used to use double uni for my splice between 15# braid and 20# fluoro. Had trouble with the knot fatiguing while going thru the rod eyes and breaking on the cast. When I looked at the double uni with a strong magnifying glass after fishing, I could see the wear on the fluoro knot. I switched to improved Albright (10 wraps around doubled leader and braid and 5 wraps around braid and one side of the loop) with much better luck. Better looking knot and less fatigue on the fluoro side. A little harder to tie so I will still use uni if I have to retie while wading. I also use mono some but not enough to say if it affects my fishing. I fished with Jay Watkins (well known Rockport guide) last year and he said he uses mono. He kicked my tail in gin clear water so I don't think the mono hurt his fishing.
Blutarsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2020, 08:16 AM   #9
c hook
Registered Users-pm+

c hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Pirate
tarpon mono

there is no doubt floro is much more abrasion resistant, but much harder to tie knots and work with. For that reason alone i use mono, never liked floro. when i'm wading i don't want to fight with tightening a knot, mono easy and strong. with that being said i retie a couple times throughout the day. if it ain't broke don't' fix it.
c hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2020, 10:41 PM   #10
c hook
Registered Users-pm+

c hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Pirate
tarpon ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by c hook View Post
there is no doubt floro is much more abrasion resistant, but much harder to tie knots and work with. For that reason alone i use mono, never liked floro. when i'm wading i don't want to fight with tightening a knot, mono easy and strong. with that being said i retie a couple times throughout the day. if it ain't broke don't' fix it.
i spoke before watching the video, just watched it and I'm surprised. Floro I find is much harder to work with. I use 30lb Power Pro Super Slick 8, but I just spooled a reel with 832 Suffix 30lb to try it. I use 20lb big game or Ande leader.
c hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message