Rockport 11/19/19 Just when you think you've seen it all - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Individual Fishing & Game Reports
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old Today, 01:02 AM   #1
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
Rockport 11/19/19 Just when you think you've seen it all

First, I've just been crushing the trout the last few days. Smaller 13"-15" dinks have been so think they've just been a nuisance. But I've also stumbled up on some groups of really nice fish. I was using a suspending MiroLure, white with silver flash. Once I got the retrieve pattern worked out, it was non-stop action. I caught my limit and released a lot of fish, and moved to scout around a bit. At the next spot, I caught a few fish with the same retrieve, but it was pretty slow. I almost left, but decided to put on a 3/8 oz. jig head and a Norton Sand Eel (that manila envelope color I love), and things just went haywire. Let it fall all the way to the bottom, then give a series of really tiny bumps - just enough to get it off the bottom and moving. Repeat. Give it the occasional slightly bigger twitch. It was nice fish after nice fish, until I literally got tired of catching fish.

We've all had our share of potlickers. But these last few days there have been a lot of people who appear to be doing nothing but running around looking for someone with a bent pole. They pull up too close, slam a few things around, toss out the big anchor and start slinging the live shrimp under a cork. (We've all seen it.) I've just been wading down the shoreline and turning my back on them. Mostly they aren't catching much, even on live shrimp, and after a while they crank up and leave.

Today, though, was something special. I had a boat roll up on me and disgorge three waders who spread out behind me, just out of casting distance. I was catching fish on pretty much every cast. I don't know what they were doing, but they weren't catching much of anything. Every time I landed a fish, they crept in a little closer. I started wading away from them, and they followed. I'm still cranking fish, and they're still scratching their... something. Then one of them decided to wade between me and the shore so he could try to get ahead of me. I guess he figured I was heading toward the fish, and he wanted to get there first.

Now we're a ways from their boat (the four of us), and another boat comes up, between me and the first boat, but a little farther from shore. He sets the Power Pole, and they start slinging bait. I start moving away from him, and the wader thinks I'm trying to prevent him from getting ahead of me, and starts double-timing it. I can hear the guys on the boat jabbering about me catching fish after fish. It's a party.

As I get some separation from the new boat, I guess he decides that the fish have moved with me or something. He cranks up his engine and begins to putt the same direction I'm going until he gets pretty close, and shuts it down. I kept wading, and he cranks it up again. So now I've got a wader who is out in front of me and working to stay that way, and a guy literally following me in his boat. The other two waders are trailing behind, but not giving up.

At that point, I had lost contact with the bigger fish I had been on, but the dinks are eating me alive. I'm reeling in fish on every cast, and if one gets off another takes its place. And the really crazy part is that these jackrabbits around me aren't catching much of anything. And I can tell that they all still think that the reason I'm catching and they aren't is where I'm fishing, and not how I'm fishing. If they can just get where I am, the magic will happen. Not one of them (apparently) can figure out that they are fishing exactly where I was fishing when they saw me reeling them in. And I realized - even though I'm catching lots of fish, this is not fun for me.

I turned around and started the long walk back to leave, kind of hoping that I might get past them and fish a bit more back toward where I started. And I see that a kayak has joined the parade a little farther back. And as I get in the middle of the pack... they want to chat. And I start having visions of yanking the guy out of his boat, commandeering it, and using it to run over all of them. (This is not a healthy way to spend your day.) I explained that I go fishing specifically to avoid people like them, and they just looked confused that I would say such a thing. I walked up to the shore, so I could make better time on dry land, and called it a day.

I can't really complain. It was a beautiful day. They water is cool, but not brain-freeze cold. It was clear, but not gin-clear. And the fish were plentiful and hungry. I've been fishing a long time, and seen my share of potlickers. But I've never seen a display like what I saw today. They weren't bad people, I guess. Just utterly oblivious. I'm supposed to take a friend tomorrow, and I'm really hoping they don't find me.

One thing was really fun to see, and worth telling. Fishing with that suspending MiroLure, if you miss a hookset you will yank the lure up to the surface. Several times that happened, and because the water was pretty clear and calm, I could actually see 2,3,4 different fish flashing across the surface and fighting for the privilege of delivering the death blow. A couple of times, while the smaller fish were batting it around, a much bigger fish rushed in an swallowed it.
Attached Images

pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 07:20 AM   #2
mccain
\m/

mccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Pirate
potlicking is not one of mankind's better attributes. we all must avoid the urge. good to hear you've been on the fish
mccain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message