Trash Fish? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #1
parttime
Registered Users-pm+

parttime has been promote to Gunnerparttime has been promote to Gunnerparttime has been promote to Gunnerparttime has been promote to Gunnerparttime has been promote to Gunnerparttime has been promote to Gunnerparttime has been promote to Gunnerparttime has been promote to Gunnerparttime has been promote to Gunnerparttime has been promote to Gunnerparttime has been promote to Gunner
Trash Fish?

I know a lot of people think of Gafftop catfish as a trash fish. But I've heard others say they taste good. So I decided to find out for myself. Enjoy:

https://youtu.be/6fa2tMm3_8E
parttime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2019, 05:42 PM   #2
Bayoutalker
Registered Users-pm+

Bayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to Pirate
For me it's not about taste. I just hate dealing with the slimy critters.

Cliff
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2019, 07:09 PM   #3
Texashookset
second to the last....

Texashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to Pirate
Same here, they’ll eat well if you need to. Good old timer guide buddy of mine that I used to fish with a lot before he passed always had them to fry up at his fish camp.
Texashookset is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2019, 07:54 PM   #4
parttime
Registered Users-pm+

parttime has been promote to Gunnerparttime has been promote to Gunnerparttime has been promote to Gunnerparttime has been promote to Gunnerparttime has been promote to Gunnerparttime has been promote to Gunnerparttime has been promote to Gunnerparttime has been promote to Gunnerparttime has been promote to Gunnerparttime has been promote to Gunnerparttime has been promote to Gunner
Yeah the slim is another issue. But I've dealt with that on freshwater cats so it don't bug me to much. This really was better than the fresh water cats I've eaten.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:27 PM   #5
ChampT22
Registered Users-pm+

ChampT22 has been promoted to PirateChampT22 has been promoted to PirateChampT22 has been promoted to PirateChampT22 has been promoted to PirateChampT22 has been promoted to PirateChampT22 has been promoted to PirateChampT22 has been promoted to PirateChampT22 has been promoted to PirateChampT22 has been promoted to PirateChampT22 has been promoted to PirateChampT22 has been promoted to Pirate
About 5-years ago, I was fishing for bull reds. Instead of reds, I was catching some really big Gafftops and on every cast. After throwing back somewhere around 7, I had a brain fart. I thought, well, since it looks like I am going to catch the hell out of them, I might as well load the icebox with them. Which I did. I had caught them by the jetties at POC. When they stopped biting, I decided to move over to the Pass Cavallo area. For over the last hour, I had been thinking about how nasty it was going to be to clean them. While on the move, I decided I was going to give them away. When I reached the Pass Cavallo area, there was an aluminum pontoon boat anchored up. I pulled up to them and asked them if they wanted some Gafftops. They said sure, by the way they were acting, I think they thought they were just going to get a few fish. I dumped my 150-quart on the deck of their boat. 22-Gafftops, between 5 to 7 lbs. Boy, were they smiling. They told me that they had a relative fishing in another boat nearby and that they were going to tell them that they had caught them. Good for them, all I know is that I got rid of the slimy things. First and last time.
ChampT22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2019, 11:59 PM   #6
Ready.Fire.Aim
Registered Users-pm+

Location: Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
Ready.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to PirateReady.Fire.Aim has been promoted to Pirate
We ate them when I was a kid, they taste fine.
Cleaning gafftop is a good job for a boy that likes to fish and eat them too.
Ready.Fire.Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2019, 06:39 AM   #7
EastTexasRancher
Registered Users-pm+

EastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to PirateEastTexasRancher has been promoted to Pirate
Put them on ice a couple of hours, and the slime will rinse off with a garden hose. A fine eating fish.
EastTexasRancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #8
c hook
Registered Users-pm+

c hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Pirate
tarpon lmao

I'm never cleaned one, I'd have no problem eating them, as well as puppy drum. we consider reds trash fish in my group, and run from them. one guys trash is another's treasure.
c hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2019, 08:55 AM   #9
TOM WEBER
Cazadora

TOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to Pirate
They make great ceviche….seriously!
TOM WEBER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2019, 09:32 AM   #10
parttime
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by c hook View Post
I'm never cleaned one, I'd have no problem eating them, as well as puppy drum. we consider reds trash fish in my group, and run from them. one guys trash is another's treasure.
That is the truth.