Secret fillet tricks? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-07-2019, 10:50 AM   #1
C.Orsak
Registered Users-pm+

C.Orsak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerC.Orsak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerC.Orsak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerC.Orsak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerC.Orsak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerC.Orsak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerC.Orsak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerC.Orsak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerC.Orsak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerC.Orsak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerC.Orsak has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Secret fillet tricks?

What are your fish filleting tips?

When I was first getting into fishing I learned filleting from those around me and picked up on tips here and there. For someone new to filleting it can be difficult for the first few fish. The video below will be helpful for beginners as it shows how to fillet a trout, flounder, and redfish.

If you have any tricks you’ve learned over the years I’d like to learn them!

https://youtu.be/rZ_oimpVrJ0
C.Orsak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
I think the way you do it wastes too much meat, especially along the backbone. What about the underside of the flounder? Do you just toss that in the trash? There are two good fillets there, especially on bigger flounder

I wear a cut proof glove on my left hand and prefer a more springy, thinner bladed fillet knife.
karstopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2019, 11:26 AM   #3
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Flounder back bone too thick. I prefer to make four filets off of a flounder. Cut down back bone and fillet out the meat top and bottom.

Redfish are easier cutting from tail to head under the scales rather than head to tail.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
Crystalbeachangler
Catch and Release

Crystalbeachangler is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
Flounder back bone too thick. I prefer to make four filets off of a flounder. Cut down back bone and fillet out the meat top and bottom.

Redfish are easier cutting from tail to head under the scales rather than head to tail.
Exactly! 💯
Crystalbeachangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2019, 11:56 AM   #5
karstopo
Registered Users-pm+

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
On flounder, I start along the midline right above the backbone and just behind the fin and cut then straight down the backbone straight to the tail. You can then peel the fillet away from the backbone working towards the fins on the sides. The bones radiating off the backbone guide the knife blade towards the sides and you will get 4 perfect fillets with almost zero waste. There will be almost nothing left of the fish but the bones, fins, head and guts. It really doesn't take any longer and the waste isn't even close to what I saw in the video shared by the OP.
karstopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #6
C.Orsak
Registered Users-pm+

C.Orsak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerC.Orsak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerC.Orsak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerC.Orsak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerC.Orsak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerC.Orsak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerC.Orsak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerC.Orsak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerC.Orsak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerC.Orsak has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerC.Orsak has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post

I’ll have to make sure I do that on the topside also! I’ve always done the bottom in 2 fillets but not the top.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #7
C.Orsak
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
On flounder, I start along the midline right above the backbone and just behind the fin and cut then straight down the backbone straight to the tail. You can then peel the fillet away from the backbone working towards the fins on the sides. The bones radiating off the backbone guide the knife blade towards the sides and you will get 4 perfect fillets with almost zero waste. There will be almost nothing left of the fish but the bones, fins, head and guts. It really doesn't take any longer and the waste isn't even close to what I saw in the video shared by the OP.
I’ve never never seen it done from the backbone out but it’s sounds like that will work better than what’s shown in the video!
Old 10-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #8
Blutarsky
Registered Users-pm+

Blutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of BosunBlutarsky has been promoted to the rank of Bosun
It takes a little more time, but if I want stuffed flounder I scale the flounder and then fillet each side in one piece. Don't run the knife across b/c of the raised backbone, but cut away the meat carefully and when you get to the back bone go up, over and back down to fillet the other half. You can then put the stuffing between the two fillets and have boneless stuffed flounder.
Blutarsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #9
Zeitgeist
Whose House? Coog's House!!!

Zeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to Pirate
Thoughts on the flounder method

Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2019, 06:38 PM   #10
Zeitgeist
Whose House? Coog's House!!!

Zeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to PirateZeitgeist has been promoted to Pirate
I will hand it to you putting yourself out there with your YouTube channel. It is not easy making videos. I agree with Blutarsky, Karstopo and sgrem.

To further what Blutarsky said, I like to debone my flounder when stuffed. So if you Google deboned flounder, you will find a few different techniques. For my favorite technique, you basically start in the middle and cut away from the backbone. Also, when you cut away, cut all the way through the skin that is on the outer edge that is connected to the outer fins. Do this but leave the tail connected. Flip it over and do it on the other side. This method will even leave the thumb riblets on the outer edges, the tastiest part of the flounder in my opinion. So basically you have a quad of flounder meat with all four pieces connected to the tail. Finalize by clipping the backbone with kitchen sheers near the base of the tail.

The end result is a whole flounder, four pieces connected via the tail. It will look like the picture below and the only bone is the tail itself.
Attached Images

Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message