Baitcast question - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2019, 05:31 PM   #1
WillieT
Registered Users-pm+

WillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to Pirate
Baitcast question

I have always used open faced spinning reels since my dad taught me to fish when I was very young. I want to try fishing with a baitcaster. I bought 2 at a garage sale last weekend and feel like I got a good enough deal that I can give them a try and if I don’t like them I won’t have a problem getting my money back.

One is a Shimano Casitas the other a H20 express mettle. Which will be easier for a beginner to learn with. Also will it be easier to learn with mono or braid line. Any and all tips and suggestions are appreciated.
WillieT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 06:08 PM   #2
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
I would spool either of them with 12 lb mono and then get a 3/8th oz weight or casting lead. You don't want to start to light or too heavy with a casting reel. The mettle has more bearings and should be longer casting but the lesser bearing Casitas might be more forgiving right now.

it's really all in the settings.

with the casting weight tide on.. (or gold spoon or spook junior)... tighten the knob on the right snugly. This is the Spool Tension Knob.

Then depress the the spool release, if you've done the first part correctly at this point the line should not come off the reel. Without a thumb on the spool slowly untighten the spool tension knob until the weight or casting object or lure just starts to fall. For you I would retighten it about 1/8th turn tighter than you just loosened it. In this position it probably won't let line go off the spool in free spool but this will help you on your first several cast not get a backlash.

Both of those reels should be centrifugal casting brakes as a base. I would open the left side plate and set the real for 2 brakes to be engaged to brake when casted. You'll figure it out quick as the others will be clicked into a position where they will not run out to the end and engage with the braking surface.

With two brakes set and the spool tension knob slightly tighter than free spool, you can now make your first cast. The the cast is shorter than you like and you didn't feel any reel loops come up from the spool, then loosen the spool tension knob about 1/16th turn looser.. some of these have click settings... if so one click looser.

Cast again. This time begin to lightly touch the spool with your casting reel thumb during the cast... this is called feathering the spool.

You'll eventually lighten the spool tension knob and the go to one brake while feathering the spool and that's where you'll get your best casting performance. Don't let backlashes get to you, you'll always get a few 'professional over runs' even as an expert.

From here it's just practice. I'd stick with mono for a couple months and stick with the mid weight lures between 1/4 oz and 5/8th oz. I'd stay away from 1/16th heads with plastic and there's no real reason to throw a super spook right now and into the fall
Old 08-07-2019, 06:34 PM   #3
SSST
Registered Users-pm+

SSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to PirateSSST has been promoted to Pirate
Yeah, what he said. Similar quality reels, one will work better for you though.
SSST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 06:43 PM   #4
WillieT
Registered Users-pm+

WillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks for the replies. One reel cost me $10 the other $20, both brand new in the box so if I can’t master them I don’t have much invested.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #5
Jhonny
Where is my hook

Jhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to GunnerJhonny has been promote to Gunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutsupport View Post
I would spool either of them with 12 lb mono and then get a 3/8th oz weight or casting lead. You don't want to start to light or too heavy with a casting reel. The mettle has more bearings and should be longer casting but the lesser bearing Casitas might be more forgiving right now.

it's really all in the settings.

with the casting weight tide on.. (or gold spoon or spook junior)... tighten the knob on the right snugly. This is the Spool Tension Knob.

Then depress the the spool release, if you've done the first part correctly at this point the line should not come off the reel. Without a thumb on the spool slowly untighten the spool tension knob until the weight or casting object or lure just starts to fall. For you I would retighten it about 1/8th turn tighter than you just loosened it. In this position it probably won't let line go off the spool in free spool but this will help you on your first several cast not get a backlash.

Both of those reels should be centrifugal casting brakes as a base. I would open the left side plate and set the real for 2 brakes to be engaged to brake when casted. You'll figure it out quick as the others will be clicked into a position where they will not run out to the end and engage with the braking surface.

With two brakes set and the spool tension knob slightly tighter than free spool, you can now make your first cast. The the cast is shorter than you like and you didn't feel any reel loops come up from the spool, then loosen the spool tension knob about 1/16th turn looser.. some of these have click settings... if so one click looser.

Cast again. This time begin to lightly touch the spool with your casting reel thumb during the cast... this is called feathering the spool.

You'll eventually lighten the spool tension knob and the go to one brake while feathering the spool and that's where you'll get your best casting performance. Don't let backlashes get to you, you'll always get a few 'professional over runs' even as an expert.

From here it's just practice. I'd stick with mono for a couple months and stick with the mid weight lures between 1/4 oz and 5/8th oz. I'd stay away from 1/16th heads with plastic and there's no real reason to throw a super spook right now and into the fall
And here everything troutsupport said in a video

https://youtu.be/MmNA3IXrxZc
Jhonny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2019, 12:55 PM   #6
dk2429
Jeremiah 29:11

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
Both of those are great reels! H20 reels are tough as nails. Yeah like Tobin said, my dad taught me with 12lb mono and a lead weight on the end. Not too heavy not too light. About 3/8oz.

Good luck, it takes lots of practice. But when you get it down, you'll have it down.
dk2429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #7
RedFlounderBass
Bayou Burner

RedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to Pirate
Pull out about 50-60 yards of line and then put a strip of tape around the spool and reel back in your line, until you get better at casting.This will help with birdnests and will save you a headache.
RedFlounderBass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #8
c hook
Registered Users-pm+

c hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Pirate
tarpon wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlounderBass View Post
Pull out about 50-60 yards of line and then put a strip of tape around the spool and reel back in your line, until you get better at casting.This will help with birdnests and will save you a headache.
learne something new everyday, i like that idea.
c hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 08:25 AM   #9
TeXasWaterMan
Registered Users-pm+

TeXasWaterMan is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
watch some youtube videos , then find a park or large yard and get work in, pick some targets and find the distance and dial in control and in ten years you ll put back lashes in the past for ever.
TeXasWaterMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #10
WillieT
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeXasWaterMan View Post
watch some youtube videos , then find a park or large yard and get work in, pick some targets and find the distance and dial in control and in ten years you ll put back lashes in the past for ever.
Not sure if I have 10 years.