Swapping to Spinning Reel - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #1
Crystalbeachangler
Catch and Release

Crystalbeachangler is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Swapping to Spinning Reel

Ok, very tired of clearing backlashes and casting for boat guests. lol I’m about to make the swap to spinning reels, but never have been a spinning reel guy. Which reel in the price range of 150-250? Also, which poles to pair it up with. Typical trout and redfish pole suggestions, please (nothing with too much backbone).
Crystalbeachangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #2
Chuckybrown
I live to fish!

Chuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to Pirate
I have two faves: Daiwa Ballistic 2500 EX I use for my popping cork rig. I think they’re $180 ish. For my trout / red rods, I like my Shimano Stradic FK (now the FL) 2500, or Shimano Sustain 2500. Stradic will run you $180, Sustain about $300, but boy does it have drag.
Chuckybrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2019, 08:25 PM   #3
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Get Penn Battle II setups. 3000 size. Great all around gear. Under your price range.

As a guide mine are in daily use for a couple years now....
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2019, 09:25 PM   #4
Crystalbeachangler
Catch and Release

Crystalbeachangler is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Thanks. What rods are you guys running?
Crystalbeachangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2019, 09:28 PM   #5
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Penn Battle II rods.... 6.5ft medium action.... they rod/reel combo usually comes matched pretty well for about $120.

If focusing on more live bait and not casting as much a 7ft Medium action.

Some disagree but i prefer shorter rods. Especially for guests/customers so they dont drag rods and lures across everything in the boat and hit each other and hook everything they aint supposed to.

Oh....and rig theirs with about 17-20 pound big game mono rather than braid.... they will fight it less.... giving a novice braid they tend to get wind wrapped around the rod and fouled on the terminal tackle etc....
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2019, 09:31 PM   #6
tcbayman
Registered Users-pm+

tcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalbeachangler View Post
Thanks. What rods are you guys running?
Depends what your doing, throwing corks I like a little more backbone. Just whatever kind you would use for a baitcaster. It’s the same concept just different reel. The only time I don’t like spinning reels is when I’m wading deep or throwing topwaters and plugs.
tcbayman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2019, 09:49 PM   #7
Calmday
Salty Dawg

Calmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to Pirate
I use Abu Garcia REVO2X30 reels with H20xpress (7', 8-17lbs) rods. The set up is about 160 bucks. The rods might be a little stiffer than you like but we use these for everything from croaker to redfish. Even take them offshore for dolphin.
Calmday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2019, 09:57 PM   #8
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
The Penn Clash is a nice reel. Anodized aluminum body, so it's light. And I like the slow-oscillation level wind - I thing you get less line twist and "wind knots". It's not a true sealed reel, but they use gaskets to minimize water intrusion.

You can buy them NIB on Ebay for about $140 all the time. If you wait for the right time, you can get them about 10% less than that, so about $126. Amazon is about to start Prime Day tonight, so I expect some discount codes for Ebay to compete with that.
pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2019, 10:03 PM   #9
RUFcaptain
Registered Users-pm+

RUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to Pirate
Lots of great spinning reels out there, my favorite is the Shimano Stradic, 3000 series is plenty for inshore.
RUFcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2019, 07:34 AM   #10
Marker 54 Lures
Registered Users-pm+

Marker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to Pirate
Penn Battle II is the only one that will last ... after that you have to move to a Van Stall to survive the salt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marker 54 Lures is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message