West Bay 7/9 good topwater bite - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Individual Fishing & Game Reports
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old Today, 09:05 PM   #1
jrabq
LotsObeach-no Agua

jrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Pirate
West Bay 7/9 good topwater bite

My vacation started out a bit rough, didn't even wet a line when we got here Monday, but today really helped my mood. Got a house on the beach at Pirates Beach with the family, but with the south wind I decided to go to the bay near SLP this AM. Really had low expectations, but it turned into a great day. At first it looked dead, I was the first person there and got the kayak ready and headed north. Wind made it a bit choppy, but the water clarity was great. About sunrise I saw some bird action about 1/4+ mile away so headed in that direction. By the time I got there the birds had mostly filtered away, it turns out they had been picking up something small in very shallow water, like 6" deep. So I got out the kayak and noticed there was some deeper water just another 100 yards north, and saw a bit of baitfish activity.

So just as I get in casting range I threw a SS jr and BAM, immediately hooked a redfish. So even though he was undersized it was a good start. Cast back into the same spot and hooked an undersized trout. Then a few casts later caught a keeper 16-17". Sorted through a few more dinks and then got a nice 21-1/2" trout, and one more barely keeper. The action died a bit but heck, I already had 3 more fish than I was expecting. Thought about leaving the area, but decided to hang around a bit longer and activity picked back up. I tied on a small blue/silver skitterpop (on light spinning rod), which started getting hammered, even though it was almost all 12-14" trout. I did catch one more keeper, lost one good fish, and then went for a long wade with kayak in tow. From about 8-10 AM it was a small trout bonanza, I lost count but probably caught another 20-30 during this time. Then finally about 10:30 caught one more keeper (~17"), and decided to start wading back. I had tried several other SS Jr colors, as well as a larger popper and a few other lures during this time, but got no interest; they were still liking the smaller skitterpop.

Some birds were now working the 1st spot I fished again, although by the time I go there they had left. But I started getting hits again and after a few dinks caught another keeper, about 11:30. After still a few more small trout I hooked what turned out to be my personal best; 25", 5.1 lbs. I looked at my watch and it was 11:45. Again, this was on a small popper, bright sunny skies, in maybe 2-1/2 ft of water with some chop. A few more dinks, then lost one other good fish, and the action started to slow down again. So headed back with 7 trout, including 2 nice ones. And probably caught 40-50 or more small trout.

Got a trip booked with SGREM tomorrow, so that should be fun, but the rest of the week looks like it might be tough. So today really made the trip!
Attached Images

jrabq is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement