Mixed bag - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Individual Fishing & Game Reports
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #1
sharkchum
If you ain't first your last

sharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Pirate
Mixed bag

My boss wanted me to take him to catch some big trout today, and I told him I knew exactly where they were, boy was I wrong.
We left out at first light and the water was slick as glass. We got anchored up in my honey hole and as soon as our live shrimp hit bottom we were both hooked up. Mine was a nice slot red and his was a channel cat. WHAT? Not a hard head or gafftop, but a fresh water channel cat. I knew Galveston bay has been getting a lot of run off lately, but this is crazy. We threw back out and got another double hook up. This time I had the channel cat and he had the red. I wanted to move to find some trout, but he was happy catching fish so we just stayed there. With in 30 minuits we had our limit of reds, and after that we just played catch and release until all the shrimp were gone. We caught somewhere between 45 and 50 reds, and aside from 4 or 5 being 18" to 19", the rest were slots.
I must be the worst guide in the world, because we didn't catch a single trout. Maybe I need to save up some money to take fishing lessons.
Attached Images

sharkchum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
sharkchum

sharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Pirate
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2019, 01:20 PM   #3
sharkchum

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2019, 01:22 PM   #4
sharkchum

They were jumping in the boat.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2019, 01:28 PM   #5
sharkchum

The rig I use is very simple.
I tie a 18" to 20" piece of 20# mono onto my braid with a crazy Alberta.
Tie on a size 1 khale hook, and add a couple split shot to get the shrimp to the bottom.
Once the shrimp is on the bottom, keep your rod tip up and slowly bonce your split shot on the shell. The sound of the split shot hitting the shell imitates a crab digging in the shell or a shrimp clicking and the redfish will come running. I've shared this tip before, but though I would share it again for those who haven't seen it.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2019, 02:45 PM   #6
sharkchum

I just got done cleaning all the fish and they were full of shad and shrimp. The shad were very decompose, but the shrimp were fresh.
There were no shad in the area I was fishing, but there are thousands of them close to shore. What this tells me is that last night during the falling tide the reds were close to the shore line feeding on shad, then migrated out to the bay this morning to feed on shrimp during the rising tide.
The reason this is important is because if I wanted to go catch some reds tonight during the falling tide, I wouldn't fish where I was this morning. I would move closer to shore.
This is why knowledge is the most important factor in being a successful fisherman.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2019, 04:58 PM   #7
Hawglife
Registered Users-pm+

Hawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to PirateHawglife has been promoted to Pirate
Great report, sounds like yall had a great time! Love that you took the time to share the knowledge about the migration of the reds, and your rigging, that could go along way for new fisherman!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Hawglife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2019, 07:02 PM   #8
bryan28
Registered Users-pm+

bryan28 has been promoted to Piratebryan28 has been promoted to Piratebryan28 has been promoted to Piratebryan28 has been promoted to Piratebryan28 has been promoted to Piratebryan28 has been promoted to Piratebryan28 has been promoted to Piratebryan28 has been promoted to Piratebryan28 has been promoted to Piratebryan28 has been promoted to Piratebryan28 has been promoted to Pirate
Nice report. Curious what boat are you running? I may be in the market for a new boat soon and am curious what ithers are using and what their opinions of them are.
bryan28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2019, 09:40 PM   #9
jrabq
LotsObeach-no Agua

jrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Piratejrabq has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks for the report, and the rigging tip!
jrabq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2019, 08:50 AM   #10
SaltwaterTom
Fat Hookers Fishing Team

SaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterTom has been promoted to Pirate
Definitely, thanx for the rigging advice.
SaltwaterTom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message