Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2019, 01:46 AM   #1
Jusme
Registered Users-pm+

Jusme is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Pro angler 14

I have a 7.5’ long bed, would it be safe to transport a pro angler 14 safely without a bed extender, if not could you recommend one.

Thanks for your input.
Jusme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2019, 07:42 AM   #2
Bayoutalker
Registered Users-pm+

Bayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to Pirate
That might be a bit long. I bought my extender from Harbor Freight for my 14' canoe. It works very well and the price was right. I added lights to mine for safety. I bought a cheap kit from HF too.

https://www.harborfreight.com/truck-...der-69650.html

Cliff
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2019, 07:43 AM   #3
pocfishin
Registered Users-pm+

pocfishin has been promoted to Piratepocfishin has been promoted to Piratepocfishin has been promoted to Piratepocfishin has been promoted to Piratepocfishin has been promoted to Piratepocfishin has been promoted to Piratepocfishin has been promoted to Piratepocfishin has been promoted to Piratepocfishin has been promoted to Piratepocfishin has been promoted to Piratepocfishin has been promoted to Pirate
I would definitely use a bed extender.
Boone Dox makes an excellent one:
https://boonedoxusa.com/collections/...e-bed-extender

Because the PA 14 is so heavy, if it were me, I would put the yak on a trailer.
Several manufactures make trailers specifically for yaks. Or you could modify a utility trailer or jet ski trailer to fit your yak.

Lots of helpful info here:
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/

Everything you need for your yak can be found here:
https://www.austinkayak.com/
pocfishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2020, 05:21 PM   #4
bigfost
Registered Users-pm+

bigfost has been promoted to Piratebigfost has been promoted to Piratebigfost has been promoted to Piratebigfost has been promoted to Piratebigfost has been promoted to Piratebigfost has been promoted to Piratebigfost has been promoted to Piratebigfost has been promoted to Piratebigfost has been promoted to Piratebigfost has been promoted to Piratebigfost has been promoted to Pirate
I've used a Harbor Freight bed extender for transporting my PA in both a Silverado and my current Tacoma.
bigfost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2020, 09:54 PM   #5
LagunaFisher
Registered Users-pm+

LagunaFisher is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
My Pro Angler came with a boonedox, let me tell you it is very nice. Can remove it with one arm, very light, quality aluminum.
LagunaFisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
Neumie
Registered Users-pm+

Neumie has been promoted to PirateNeumie has been promoted to PirateNeumie has been promoted to PirateNeumie has been promoted to PirateNeumie has been promoted to PirateNeumie has been promoted to PirateNeumie has been promoted to PirateNeumie has been promoted to PirateNeumie has been promoted to PirateNeumie has been promoted to PirateNeumie has been promoted to Pirate
I would invest in a bed extender. Some are nicer than others, but the cheap one from Harbor Freight has worked well for me for 10 years. The 90 degree bend has caught some asphalt in certain situations, but not too bad. There are some that angle some (LINK) or the top of the line Boonedox.

Either way you'll need a red flag on the end or your kayak during the day and a red light when driving at night.
Neumie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2020, 12:35 PM   #7
Bayoutalker
Registered Users-pm+

Bayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neumie View Post
I would invest in a bed extender. Some are nicer than others, but the cheap one from Harbor Freight has worked well for me for 10 years. The 90 degree bend has caught some asphalt in certain situations, but not too bad. There are some that angle some (LINK) or the top of the line Boonedox.

Either way you'll need a red flag on the end or your kayak during the day and a red light when driving at night.
I added trailer taillights to my extender. With a 14' kayak it doesn't stick out enough to need additional flags/lights.

Cliff
Old 11-16-2020, 01:49 PM   #8
Neumie
Registered Users-pm+

Neumie has been promoted to PirateNeumie has been promoted to PirateNeumie has been promoted to PirateNeumie has been promoted to PirateNeumie has been promoted to PirateNeumie has been promoted to PirateNeumie has been promoted to PirateNeumie has been promoted to PirateNeumie has been promoted to PirateNeumie has been promoted to PirateNeumie has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
I added trailer taillights to my extender. With a 14' kayak it doesn't stick out enough to need additional flags/lights.

Cliff
Adding lights to the bed extender doesn't change that you still need a flag and/or light at the end of your kayak. Sure it's good faith gesture to show you have an extended load, but in the very slim chance you get pulled over the LEO is going to measure the projecting load from wherever your truck bed ends (not including the tailgate in the down position).

For years I ran the same set up with lights on my extender, but recently I built a light rig to secure to the very end of my kayak when traveling. Again, I ran with lights on my bed extender for years and so have many other kayakers, I'm not sure I've ever read anyone being pulled over for a kayak in the bed of their truck when the kayaker is putting forth an effort to mark their extended load.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2020, 04:38 PM   #9
Bayoutalker
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neumie View Post
Adding lights to the bed extender doesn't change that you still need a flag and/or light at the end of your kayak. Sure it's good faith gesture to show you have an extended load, but in the very slim chance you get pulled over the LEO is going to measure the projecting load from wherever your truck bed ends (not including the tailgate in the down position).

For years I ran the same set up with lights on my extender, but recently I built a light rig to secure to the very end of my kayak when traveling. Again, I ran with lights on my bed extender for years and so have many other kayakers, I'm not sure I've ever read anyone being pulled over for a kayak in the bed of their truck when the kayaker is putting forth an effort to mark their extended load.
Yes it does. You are allowed a certain distance behind your rear lights before a flag is required. I was less than that past the rear lights on the extender. It's the same as lights on a trailer. You are allowed a certain amount of overhang past the lights.

"Any load or shipment that has overhang that extends more than 4 feet beyond the rear of the trailers shall display red flags that are at least 16 inches in a square shape on all extremities of the actual load and are to be placed where the red light is required on all extremities."

Cliff
Old 11-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #10
Neumie
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
Yes it does. You are allowed a certain distance behind your rear lights before a flag is required. I was less than that past the rear lights on the extender. It's the same as lights on a trailer. You are allowed a certain amount of overhang past the lights.

"Any load or shipment that has overhang that extends more than 4 feet beyond the rear of the trailers shall display red flags that are at least 16 inches in a square shape on all extremities of the actual load and are to be placed where the red light is required on all extremities."

Cliff
A bed extender is not a trailer as defined by Section 621.001
Quote:
(7) "Trailer" means a vehicle without motive power that is:
(A) designed or used to carry property or passengers on its own structure exclusively; and
(B) drawn by a motor vehicle.
Also, Section 621 pertains to commercial vehicles. Below is the statute pertaining to extended loads which fellow kayakers need to follow.

Quote:
Sec. 547.382. LIGHTING EQUIPMENT ON PROJECTING LOADS. (a) A vehicle transporting a load that extends to the rear at least four feet beyond the bed or body of the vehicle shall display on the extreme end of the load at the times specified in Section 547.302(a):

(1) two red lamps visible at a distance of at least 500 feet from the rear;

(2) two red reflectors that indicate the maximum width and are visible at nighttime at all distances from 100 to 600 feet from the rear when directly in front of lawful lower beams of headlamps; and

(3) two red lamps, one on each side, that indicate the maximum overhang and are visible at a distance of at least 500 feet from the side.

(b) At all other times, a vehicle transporting a load that extends beyond the vehicle's sides or more than four feet beyond the vehicle's rear shall display red flags that:
(1) are at least 12 inches square;
(2) mark the extremities of the load; and
(3) are placed where a lamp is required by this section.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
As I said in my original post, as long as kayakers are putting a good faith effort to properly mark their kayak while traveling down the road you're going to be OK. I've never had an issue with LEO with a kayak in the bed of my truck with or without any lights on the kayak or bed extender. I have always used a flag at the end of my kayak as well.