To Power Pole or Not To Power Pole ?? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-10-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
Revelation
Registered Users-pm+

Revelation has been promoted to PirateRevelation has been promoted to PirateRevelation has been promoted to PirateRevelation has been promoted to PirateRevelation has been promoted to PirateRevelation has been promoted to PirateRevelation has been promoted to PirateRevelation has been promoted to PirateRevelation has been promoted to PirateRevelation has been promoted to PirateRevelation has been promoted to Pirate
Spineyes To Power Pole or Not To Power Pole ??

That is the question !!!
Trying to decide to put a power pole on my Majek 25 Extreme.
Already have a I Pilot and use the anchor feature a lot.
Just trying to decide if its worth the money to add a power pole ??

Thanks !!!
Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #2
Fishin' Soldier
Can't be what you ain't.

Fishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to Pirate
I have both and utilize both a lot in different applications.
Fishin' Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #3
habanerojooz
Registered Users-pm+

habanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Pirate
I use it when drifting a shoreline or across a flat. The wind and current are pushing me and I want to stop. It might be to re-tie, to unhook a fish, concentrate on a marsh gut or windy point, etc. Sometimes I want to just sit and eat lunch or relax and enjoy the scenery. An anchor is a hassle compared to pushing a button. It's also handy at the ramp....tie the bow to the dock then lower PP to hold the stern in place.

It's certainly something that you can do without. But it's also something that you'll find useful when you have one....like a trolling motor.

Just make sure to always use an anchor as a backup, if you ever hop out to wade. Never trust only a PP to hold your boat if you leave the boat.
habanerojooz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 06:40 PM   #4
Blank Czech
Registered Users-pm+

Blank Czech has been promoted to PirateBlank Czech has been promoted to PirateBlank Czech has been promoted to PirateBlank Czech has been promoted to PirateBlank Czech has been promoted to PirateBlank Czech has been promoted to PirateBlank Czech has been promoted to PirateBlank Czech has been promoted to PirateBlank Czech has been promoted to PirateBlank Czech has been promoted to PirateBlank Czech has been promoted to Pirate
Power pole. That is the answer.
Blank Czech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 06:47 PM   #5
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Just dont' power pole down in chop with low profile boat, and know that if the wind comes up, the water might lap into the back end of the boat. I've seen several boats that sank due to this. Also, don't count on it to hold while you're out on a wade; especially parked on degraded shell or clamshell reef, they can come unbottoned as we've seen in the not so recent past. I personally use a stick it pin from the front.. but, like Joe said, Power Pole does come in handy in a pinch sometimes. I went with a guide that doubles as a Tow Boat captain.. Capt. Jeff Larson in POC.. he uses both stick it pin and powerpole and sometimes the anchor. He said he's seen numerous times when it did not hold and put anglers in bad spots.. I'm not saying don't use it.. just be aware and be smart on how you use it.

Last edited by troutsupport; 06-10-2019 at 06:56 PM.
troutsupport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 09:31 PM   #6
dk2429
Jeremiah 29:11

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
^^^

The best way to remedy that is not rely 100% on the Power Pole, but to also throw a traditional anchor with a rope when you hop out wade. Then, use the power pole to keep the stern from swinging everywhere. MAKE SURE you anchor with the bow into the head wind/chop.

Relying on a machine to hold my mode of transportation back to shore isn't worth it to me. I take the extra minute to throw out an anchor with a rope. I don't recall ever getting back to the boat and finding the Power Pole to have come loose, but in the case it does fail, the anchor isn't going anywhere.

In the boat though drifting or just holding in one spot, yeah that's what the pole is for. But I wouldn't ever leave your rig unattended out on open water by the Power Pole itself.. That's just me though. Even if I hop out of a kayak or the Bass Raider to wade, I'm constantly looking back every few minutes to make sure the rig is still there.

But to answer your question, yes sir I think it's a great option for sure! Then again, our rig doesn't have an iPilot so I can't speak for that.
dk2429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 10:17 PM   #7
bmc4041
Registered Users-pm+

bmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Pirate
To Power Pole or Not To Power Pole ??

If I had to pick one, I’d probably go with power pole over my ipilot.

One tip - once everyone hops out to wade, I always reach and give it another push as can float up now that a few hundred pounds got out. I’ll use just the pole if wind is blowing to the shore vs out into the bay or when they are light. When they were blowing south at 25-30 a couple weeks ago, I threw the anchor.

I even use it at the ramp frequently. Tie up the bow and drop the pole. Keeps me a foot off the dock.

If you are debating on lengths, go with longer choice.
bmc4041 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 07:21 AM   #8
hooknbullet2
Registered Users-pm+

hooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Pirate
I had 2 on my 25’ Xtreme. Wouldn’t have a boat without a pair of them.
hooknbullet2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 07:52 AM   #9
Speck-a-holic
Registered Users-pm+

Speck-a-holic has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Speck-a-holic has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Speck-a-holic has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Speck-a-holic has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Speck-a-holic has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Speck-a-holic has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Speck-a-holic has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Speck-a-holic has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Speck-a-holic has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Speck-a-holic has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Speck-a-holic has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc4041 View Post
If I had to pick one, I’d probably go with power pole over my ipilot.

One tip - once everyone hops out to wade, I always reach and give it another push as can float up now that a few hundred pounds got out. I’ll use just the pole if wind is blowing to the shore vs out into the bay or when they are light. When they were blowing south at 25-30 a couple weeks ago, I threw the anchor.

I even use it at the ramp frequently. Tie up the bow and drop the pole. Keeps me a foot off the dock.

If you are debating on lengths, go with longer choice.
^^This ^^
Speck-a-holic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2019, 08:27 AM   #10
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

ReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to Pirate
For me, I'd pick Power Pole over trolling motor, but I am more of a wader than a drifter.
ReedA1691 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message