The Accident - Texas City Dike Area - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2019, 07:44 AM   #1
planohog
Registered Users-pm+

planohog has been promoted to Pirateplanohog has been promoted to Pirateplanohog has been promoted to Pirateplanohog has been promoted to Pirateplanohog has been promoted to Pirateplanohog has been promoted to Pirateplanohog has been promoted to Pirateplanohog has been promoted to Pirateplanohog has been promoted to Pirateplanohog has been promoted to Pirateplanohog has been promoted to Pirate
The Accident - Texas City Dike Area

First and foremost, Prayers for the family and friends of Officer Reed.

He fell overboard when his boat was hit by a large wake from a passing vessel, officials said Friday. After his wife, who was also aboard the fishing boat and was not injured, called 911,

I have no experience at TCD. I do know that traveling south down the channel, you can see large breaking waves north of TCD that are part of

a passing ship wake. They are also at redfish island and todds dump area.

Can anyone provide experiences around TCD and ship wake.

I have a float on my anchor rope, I have several times had to throw it off and run from or reposition for one of these rouge breaking waves in 5-7 feet of water then return to get float at redfish rocks and the spoil islands
5 miles east Seabrook.

Last edited by planohog; 06-10-2019 at 07:53 AM.
planohog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
EvansMarine

EvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to PirateEvansMarine has been promoted to Pirate
Horrible loss for our community. Chris was a great person and great customer. He was also a great asset to CCID and will truly be missed. RIP Mr. Reed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2019, 08:13 AM   #3
wennis1
Registered Users-pm+

wennis1 has been promoted to Piratewennis1 has been promoted to Piratewennis1 has been promoted to Piratewennis1 has been promoted to Piratewennis1 has been promoted to Piratewennis1 has been promoted to Piratewennis1 has been promoted to Piratewennis1 has been promoted to Piratewennis1 has been promoted to Piratewennis1 has been promoted to Piratewennis1 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by planohog View Post
First and foremost, Prayers for the family and friends of Officer Reed.

He fell overboard when his boat was hit by a large wake from a passing vessel, officials said Friday. After his wife, who was also aboard the fishing boat and was not injured, called 911,

I have no experience at TCD. I do know that traveling south down the channel, you can see large breaking waves north of TCD that are part of

a passing ship wake. They are also at redfish island and todds dump area.

Can anyone provide experiences around TCD and ship wake.

I have a float on my anchor rope, I have several times had to throw it off and run from or reposition for one of these rouge breaking waves in 5-7 feet of water then return to get float at redfish rocks and the spoil islands
5 miles east Seabrook.

Ive seen some big wakes coming from large loaded tankers in the ship channel. We usually would pull up anchor, fasten the kill switch, and idle into the wave.
wennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 08:25 AM   #4
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

ReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to Pirate
First off, prayers go out to all affected.

As to the TCD, the flat on the channel side of the dike, pushes ships' wakes up to surprising heights. If caught unaware, I think we all are now aware of the possible ramifications. In the 80s, we used to sail catamarans out there (along with a hundred or so others) and a lot of sailors would look for those wakes and try to "surf-sail" them. I was pitch-poled once trying it.

As to wearing a PFD on a boat that is on anchor or drifting, that is pretty rare, no matter what anyone would say. Very unfortunate accident.
ReedA1691 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #5
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Sad for the loss to our community and his family.

South of Redfish Island is an old reef that's like 3' deep under the water. I watched as a barge that was parked there on the side had waves wash 1/2 way up the height of the tug.