Chandeleur Trip, the good, and the bad... - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Individual Fishing & Game Reports
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Unread Today, 04:35 PM   #1
SaltwaterSlick
Registered Users-pm+

SaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to PirateSaltwaterSlick has been promoted to Pirate
Chandeleur Trip, the good, and the bad...

Well gang, I've been to the islands many, many times... some good some not so good... This one was both!

The good: We had a great group of fishermen with 2 father/son teams, and everyone caught fish. We had to work for 'em though. Some targeted trout by drifting in the skiffs and throwing gulps and other plastics mostly under popping corks. A few of us targeted reds on the grass flats. The wind had been blowing and continued pretty bad for the entire trip, so there was lots of floating grass. I used almost exclusively the TSL's in chicken of the C, Bone Diamond, and the Roach... Tried the Strawberry/white, but it was not what they wanted... honestly though, since the Roach and C worked, I didn't give it much of an effort... Literally every red that I could find and get the lure in front of it, hit it. Hook up was pretty good too rigging them weightless and weedless... Without the weedless quality of the TSL I'd hav had a hard time in all that grass! Thanks TOBIN!!

This was my best red...
Name:  IMG_8640.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  89.1 KB

We caught many undersized trout and I caught quite a few 15" reds too... In the evenings, we had some great times of fellowship and just visiting as friends... one of the father/son teams was new to our group and is a 2cooler as well. Quackerbox and his son joined us... His son who will be a junior in high school turned out to be a serious fisherman too!! He won the biggest trout pot at 22 1/2"... I had 2 that went just over 22"!! He also won the red fish pot... red with most spots for the win... He had a barely legal 16 1/8" red that had bunches of spots on both sides... One of our seasoned fishermen had caught a 29 incher with 6 spots on each side and thought he had that pot in the bag... fortunately for Quackerbox's son it was "spots" and not inches that took the pot... Ol seasoned dude got quite the ribbin for lettin' a 17 year-old put a thumpin' on him!
This indeed was a dream trip and a bucket list trip for many all the way up until........

The bad:
The last evening, we had dinner, "fresh made" jambalaya, garlic French bread and the trimmings.... That evening within 30 minutes of each other 5 of our 10 fishermen were either chumming over the side or calling "Ralph" on the white wall phone... We were siker'n a dog!! I won't go into all the gory details, but I got crosswise with the cook that night, then the next morning the crew pretty much left us on our own to get all the sick folks off the boat and into our vehicles to head home or to the doctor's... ZERO concerns for us and when we explained to them that it was food/water related, they had no concern whatsoever for us OR the next group of fishermen they were already preparing for that were to arrive later that day for a midnight departure...

I have fished the islands for over 40 years, and I've fished with this charter before multiple times. This time it appeared the shape of the boat/gear was not as well maintained and was old with the exception of new 17 foot Carolina skiffs... But the engines we had gave us troubles... more than one boat had to tow in another one... My bunk had a ripped sheet when I turned back the covers, and just in general, things were "run down" as compared to previous years. The new captain was not personable or friendly at all and was pretty much useless when it came to advice as to where/how to fish... not that that was a big deal, as most of us had been there before, but it sure was not the norm we had grown accustomed to... One thing I had always told folks (on here and other forums) was always pay attention to what the crew tells you as far as where/how to fish... Not so much this time!
We fished on the VI, a very well known boat and part of the Southern Sports Fishing fleet through www.chandeleurfishingcharters.com . I will return to the Chandeleur Islands Lord willing, but it ain't likely to be aboard one of "captain Bobby's" boats!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement