Flounder continue to decline- let’s change spec limits...? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #1
Muddskipper
fish control my brain

Muddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to Pirate
Flounder continue to decline- let’s change spec limits...?

https://wildlife.tamu.edu/2019/01/so...es-in-decline/

This is one more piece of evidence I want to share with you all on flounder.

It baffles me that TPWD choose to address spec limits on the upper coast when flounder are the real issue.

Fisheries has to do something, as this has gotten worse do to a number of reasons. Try not to get bogged down in the why, but reach out to CCA and your appointed TPWD commissioner as to where they are on proposed changes that none have a proposed solution.....

Who is your commissioner?

Reed Morian out of Houston
Arch “Beaver” Aplin out of Lake Jackson
Oliver Bell out of Houston

Should get you started- and ask them- “why was flounder, which is at dangerous low populations, not addressed? But specs were?”

We deserve a right to simply understand
Muddskipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2019, 05:31 PM   #2
Csafisher
Waiting on duck season...

Csafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to Pirate
I can’t see how recreational anglers catch enough to make a dent in the population. Maybe commercial? That’s a different argument. Seems like weather may have more of an impact?
Csafisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2019, 05:54 PM   #3
Its Catchy
Registered Users-pm+

Its Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csafisher View Post
I can’t see how recreational anglers catch enough to make a dent in the population. Maybe commercial? That’s a different argument. Seems like weather may have more of an impact?
There is almost no commercial target. Probably less than 100 licenses with a 30 fish limit. Gigging only with all of November and 1/2 of December closed to gigging. Shrimp boats are subject to a recreational limit.

Weather is probably the biggest issue as it is well established flounder do not have good spawns in warmer temps.

This is not a global warming theme and we have been warned about going down that road. But we have been in a warmer cycle and I'm not sure there is any amount of regulation that can change that.
Its Catchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2019, 09:25 PM   #4
Lone-Star
Registered Users-pm+

Lone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to Pirate
Most commercials don’t bother with flounder on any kind of consistent basis unless the drum get real scarce, 30 flounder aren’t worth the time compared to 1000 lbs of drum.
Lone-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2019, 10:10 PM   #5
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
I have heard it takes 8 males to successfully fertilize one female.

Males are allllll 17" and under. The 14" to 17" are majority of catch. So if we target half of our catch as males.....we will never sustain the 8 to 1 needed.

If they simply raised the minimum size to 18" they would have a much much better chance to successfully spawn.

The temperatures have been far from ideal. And we are seeing the flounder struggle from that. I agree they should make some adjustments under those conditions.

The density of anglers and fishing crowds dictate we may need to be a little more reactive as well as proactive to our regs and limits.

None of us are starving relying on our catch to feed our families. It is a fun hobby and love of the outdoors for us. A great meal is just a bonus to the pursuit of our hobby. Our great fisheries can make adjustments to support this sport for our grandkids grandkids.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2019, 10:43 PM   #6
Jaysand247
Registered Users-pm+

Jaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to Pirate
I'm sure glad I live on the Louisiana border.. by all means throw em back if you are worried about it.. me I'm gonna keep eating em..

Last edited by Jaysand247; 04-03-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Jaysand247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2019, 07:58 AM   #7
Skifffer
Registered Users-pm+

Skifffer has been promoted to PirateSkifffer has been promoted to PirateSkifffer has been promoted to PirateSkifffer has been promoted to PirateSkifffer has been promoted to PirateSkifffer has been promoted to PirateSkifffer has been promoted to PirateSkifffer has been promoted to PirateSkifffer has been promoted to PirateSkifffer has been promoted to PirateSkifffer has been promoted to Pirate
Stocking programs for flounder have not been as successful as the other species and I don't see any way natural populations can withstand the number of boats/fishermen on the water.
Skifffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2019, 09:54 AM   #8
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

ReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
I have heard it takes 8 males to successfully fertilize one female.

Males are allllll 17" and under. The 14" to 17" are majority of catch. So if we target half of our catch as males.....we will never sustain the 8 to 1 needed.

If they simply raised the minimum size to 18" they would have a much much better chance to successfully spawn.
This^^^^
ReedA1691 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #9
Muddskipper
fish control my brain

Muddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to Pirate
The 8 males or at least 4:1 is what they see in captivity.

Biologists are making a guess as to what happens offshore with the male to female ratio.

There was also a study that if there are too many males or females that the fish could adapt and change sexes like some of the other species but I am unsure of the study and conclusion.

What my question is- what are the state and the biggest conservationist organization doing to help?
Are you asking that question to your chapters?.... are we asking TPWD or commissioners?

Where are we with mail-outs asking the public/ guides their input on a specie that actually has poor recruiting numbers? And a poor outlook???
Muddskipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2019, 12:43 PM   #10
wildbill
Registered Users-pm+

wildbill has been promoted to Piratewildbill has been promoted to Piratewildbill has been promoted to Piratewildbill has been promoted to Piratewildbill has been promoted to Piratewildbill has been promoted to Piratewildbill has been promoted to Piratewildbill has been promoted to Piratewildbill has been promoted to Piratewildbill has been promoted to Piratewildbill has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skifffer View Post
Stocking programs for flounder have not been as successful as the other species and I don't see any way natural populations can withstand the number of boats/fishermen on the water.
If stocking programs are not very successful, why does TPWD continue to allow people to collect hundreds of fish from relatively small areas for their breeding programs?

I know of one collector who caught several hundred (either 3 or 400) undersized males from one area last fall/winter. I have a hard time believing that taking 400 fish out of a single area doesn't throw things out of balance.

As stated earlier, flounder require multiple males to fertilize a single female - so logic says that if you remove a large number of males from a small area that breeding success goes way down.

Maybe we need to encourage TPWD to take a look at their own programs and develop some guidelines to limit the impact of collecting fish for a breeding program.
wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message