Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
Mrcaboose
Registered Users-pm+

Mrcaboose is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Need Help with Transducer Cable Splice Please

I sheared my transducer cable on my bow mount unit, it is a Humminbird 153. I'd like to splice the cable back together, but don't have much experience working with this small shielded cable. I was wondering if any of you have had success doing this and if you could share any advice or tips.
I did see a waterproof splice kit on line and was also wondering if anyone had used one and/or if it may work for my application. It is a "Airmar Inline Cable Splice Kit, IP67 10 conductor". Thanks for looking.

Thanks,
Ricky
Attached Images

Mrcaboose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #2
Bayoutalker
Registered Users-pm+

Bayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to Pirate
I've tried it a time or two and had no success at all. That kit looks like it is for a different kind of cable. I may be wrong.

Good luck.

Cliff
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2019, 10:23 PM   #3
Mrcaboose
Registered Users-pm+

Mrcaboose is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Thanks for the feedback Cliff, and for taking the time to read and comment. I've made one unsuccessful attempt so far myself.

R
Mrcaboose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2019, 12:34 AM   #4
SKIPJACKSLAYER
Registered Users-pm+

SKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to Pirate
I cut a transducer before to try and run it through a really small hole while rigging. That was a mistake. There’s a handful of very small gauge wires in there and they were wrapped in a foil-like material. I used the smallest heat shrink butt splices I could find and tried to put it back together. I did get the power to turn back on, but intermittently. It was never the same and had to get a whole new transducer. It’s a shame they don’t put a plug somewhere in the middle of the line for those things. Good luck
SKIPJACKSLAYER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2019, 04:57 PM   #5
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
I agree. Best for it actually working and saving you time from having to redoo it again later is just buy a new xducer and cable and run it back to the unit.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #6
Captain Marty
Captain Marty

Captain Marty has been promoted to PirateCaptain Marty has been promoted to PirateCaptain Marty has been promoted to PirateCaptain Marty has been promoted to PirateCaptain Marty has been promoted to PirateCaptain Marty has been promoted to PirateCaptain Marty has been promoted to PirateCaptain Marty has been promoted to PirateCaptain Marty has been promoted to PirateCaptain Marty has been promoted to PirateCaptain Marty has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcaboose View Post
I sheared my transducer cable on my bow mount unit, it is a Humminbird 153. I'd like to splice the cable back together, but don't have much experience working with this small shielded cable. I was wondering if any of you have had success doing this and if you could share any advice or tips.
I did see a waterproof splice kit on line and was also wondering if anyone had used one and/or if it may work for my application. It is a "Airmar Inline Cable Splice Kit, IP67 10 conductor". Thanks for looking.

Thanks,
Ricky
Buy a new transducer, not worth the trouble!!
Captain Marty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #7
oldfishinguy
Registered Users-pm+

oldfishinguy has been promoted to Pirateoldfishinguy has been promoted to Pirateoldfishinguy has been promoted to Pirateoldfishinguy has been promoted to Pirateoldfishinguy has been promoted to Pirateoldfishinguy has been promoted to Pirateoldfishinguy has been promoted to Pirateoldfishinguy has been promoted to Pirateoldfishinguy has been promoted to Pirateoldfishinguy has been promoted to Pirateoldfishinguy has been promoted to Pirate
I had the connectors to the display unit get so bad it would disconnect when vibrated in rough water. Any power interruption shuts down the unit and if one is following a GPS heading that is a problem. I had another cable that was attached to a bad transponder with the same kind of connectors. I cut the cable about 3 feet from the connectors and stripped the wires back and removed the aluminum sheathing. I reconnected the wires and carefully wrapped them with vinyl tape. I cut a small piece of aluminum foil in a small strip and carefully wrapped it around the wires in the same way I found the al shielding when I cut the wire. It has worked fine with no problem with no fancy connector. Maybe I was just lucky but it works ok.
oldfishinguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2019, 02:46 PM   #8
oldfishinguy
Registered Users-pm+

oldfishinguy has been promoted to Pirateoldfishinguy has been promoted to Pirateoldfishinguy has been promoted to Pirateoldfishinguy has been promoted to Pirateoldfishinguy has been promoted to Pirateoldfishinguy has been promoted to Pirateoldfishinguy has been promoted to Pirateoldfishinguy has been promoted to Pirateoldfishinguy has been promoted to Pirateoldfishinguy has been promoted to Pirateoldfishinguy has been promoted to Pirate
This is a ps....I made sure to overlap the aluminum shielding over the existing shielding on both sides of the splice and then used vinyl tape over the whole thing.
oldfishinguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #9
Floatin Doc
Registered Users-pm+

Floatin Doc has disabled reputation
I've successfully spliced several. Solder each wire and paint with liquid tape. Make sure that all the shields are connected together. After you have soldered and painted each wire, use electrical tape to cover each wire then wrap the entire splice with tape and then seal the entire splice with liquid tape. Just takes a little time but it's a perfect project on bad days. Good luck.
Floatin Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #10
Bayoutalker
Registered Users-pm+

Bayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to Pirate
https://youtu.be/tuNCYPMdT28

Here is a YouTube how to. I hope it helps.

Cliff
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message