Dead Fish in POC - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2019, 09:01 AM   #1
wiley199
Registered Users-pm+

wiley199 has been promoted to Piratewiley199 has been promoted to Piratewiley199 has been promoted to Piratewiley199 has been promoted to Piratewiley199 has been promoted to Piratewiley199 has been promoted to Piratewiley199 has been promoted to Piratewiley199 has been promoted to Piratewiley199 has been promoted to Piratewiley199 has been promoted to Piratewiley199 has been promoted to Pirate
Dead Fish in POC

I was out by the old Coast Gaurd Station in POC yesterday and saw a lot of dead Gaftop. What’s the heck ? The cold spell we have kill them.?
wiley199 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #2
LaddH
Registered Users-pm+

LaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to PirateLaddH has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley199 View Post
I was out by the old Coast Gaurd Station in POC yesterday and saw a lot of dead Gaftop. What’s the heck ? The cold spell we have kill them.?
Yes. Supposedly the cold got them.
Too bad it wasn't hardheads.

This was posted on a local Facebook page by our local JP.

I spoke with a Texas Game Warden in regards to the dead gaff top. He said "the water was too cold and they had migrated in too early."
Nature is so resilient is many ways, but at the same time so fragile! Thank you for your concern.

Last edited by LaddH; 03-09-2019 at 05:57 PM.
LaddH is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #3
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
I don't think it got cold enough to cause a fish kill. I found this girl here in Rockport a couple of days ago. My brain went to cold water first, but then I thought about it - it was chilly, but nowhere near what it takes to kill fish. Maybe it was worse up your way, I don't know.

That's a size 15 wading boot next to her.
Attached Images

pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2019, 08:58 AM   #4
criswelg
Registered Users-pm+

criswelg has been promoted to the rank of Privateercriswelg has been promoted to the rank of Privateercriswelg has been promoted to the rank of Privateercriswelg has been promoted to the rank of Privateercriswelg has been promoted to the rank of Privateercriswelg has been promoted to the rank of Privateercriswelg has been promoted to the rank of Privateercriswelg has been promoted to the rank of Privateercriswelg has been promoted to the rank of Privateercriswelg has been promoted to the rank of Privateercriswelg has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Agreed !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocjetty View Post
I don't think it got cold enough to cause a fish kill. I found this girl here in Rockport a couple of days ago. My brain went to cold water first, but then I thought about it - it was chilly, but nowhere near what it takes to kill fish. Maybe it was worse up your way, I don't know.

We are a little north of you between Port Lavaca and Palacios. I haven't seen any dead fish here. The north wind did blow alot of water out everytime another norther came in. I think last time I caught trout the water was in the 50's not near cold enough to stun or kill the fish. I am sure the water is much warmer now because quite a bit of bait starting to show up.
criswelg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2019, 12:37 PM   #5
Flat's Hunter
The POC Experience

Flat's Hunter has been promoted to PirateFlat's Hunter has been promoted to PirateFlat's Hunter has been promoted to PirateFlat's Hunter has been promoted to PirateFlat's Hunter has been promoted to PirateFlat's Hunter has been promoted to PirateFlat's Hunter has been promoted to PirateFlat's Hunter has been promoted to PirateFlat's Hunter has been promoted to PirateFlat's Hunter has been promoted to PirateFlat's Hunter has been promoted to Pirate
In POC there are hundreds of dead gafftop. Brother was there and saw several Facebook post. Weird that cold or anything else would just kill gafftop.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Flat's Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #6
SolarScreenGuy

SolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to PirateSolarScreenGuy has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocjetty View Post

I don't think it was cold enough to cause a fish kill either. I have heard that a sudden big drop in water temperature can stun them and possibly kill. But then again, when a sudden big drop in water temp happens, instinctively fish will seek warmer water, usually deeper. I'm thinking the kill was the result of oxygen depletion or chemicals. I wonder if Parks and Wildlife have capability to examine tissue and find the cause. Just a thought.
One thing for sure, that trout you compared foot size with was a monster!

Solar Screens, Ext. Roll Down Shades, Plantation Shutters
2Cool Discounts
Call Mike (SolarScreenGuy) at 713-446-3249
SolarScreenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2019, 12:14 AM   #7
explorer1000
Registered Users-pm+

explorer1000 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiley199 View Post
Yeah, Gafftop seem to be more sensitive to cold water than a lot of other fish around these parts
explorer1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2019, 11:12 PM   #8
hoythunter02
Registered Users-pm+

hoythunter02 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
There were dead gafftop every where in Espirtu Santos bay as well, thousands of them everywhere we fished. Did catch a couple flounder and dink reds though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hoythunter02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message