https://sable.godaddy.com/c/191590?i...3015a5c7814cfa
Txflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2019, 10:08 PM   #2
Txflyrod
Registered Users-pm+

Txflyrod is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Corpus Christie has proposed to build a oil facilty near the Lighthiuse lakes, which would jeopardize the water clarity & the fishery around aransas pass and surrounding bay systems. Dr Rick Tinnin explains that dredging the ship channel to 75 feet to allow large oil carriers to dock would stir up mud, silt and clay causing sediment suspension. This would block out light needed for sea grass and algae. Once that is gone, the water clarity , the ecosystem and the fishery will go as well. An oil spill would carry oil into the lighthouse lakes, brown and roots flats, Southbay and surrounding waters. Please watch the video, post your thoughts and share this video. I don’t want to lose our clear water.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:23 PM   #3
TXBohunk
Registered Users-pm+

TXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to Pirate
To claim that an oil facility WOULD "jeopardize the water clarity" is false. "potentially"...maybe, but not certain.... That's a false premise.

Yes, dredging would cause sediment suspension, for a period, but all of that would be studied and controlled and would only be temporary. does anyone think that anyone, or any business, would be allowed to destroy our ecosystem?

I do not know, overall,how this would all impact the area, but I do not like false narratives and false conclusions...
TXBohunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019, 06:17 AM   #4
Thestork
Registered Users-pm+

Thestork has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerThestork has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerThestork has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerThestork has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerThestork has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerThestork has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerThestork has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerThestork has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerThestork has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerThestork has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerThestork has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
It's amazing the water is clear after the first time they dredged it! They dredged a bunch just SW of brown and root last summer and the water didn't clear up for hours!!!!

Everything is a balance and carries risk. Not many things are black and white.
Thestork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2019, 09:42 AM   #5
Trouthappy
Trouthappy

Trouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to Pirate
Heavy industry carries the highest priority on the Texas coast. Fishing, not so much. Watch and see what CCA does over this matter in Aransas. CCA loved it when Formosa Plastics built on Lavaca Bay. Loved their donations, anyway. I was there.
Trouthappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2019, 01:33 PM   #6
Csafisher
Waiting on duck season...

Csafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to Pirate
They are already fixing to deepen the channel to 54’. Or 55’ I cant remember. Dredging will stir up some sediment but much of it will be taken with current. Also most projects have a turbidity limit. Usually this is tested twice a day around the dredge. It’s not going to compromise water clarity for more than a few days.
Csafisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2019, 01:41 PM   #7
Csafisher
Waiting on duck season...

Csafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to Pirate
And for the record, the images shown when he was talking about dredging (the ones showing dirty water), do not reflect what it would look like as the dredge advanced. Not even close. And it most certainly would not affect the entire bay as shown.
Csafisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2019, 02:57 PM   #8
Txflyrod
Registered Users-pm+

You guys do make some good points on the dredging. What about the 95,600,000 gallons of waste water that could be discharged daily into the corpus christi ship channel and near the light house lakes. Do you think that could affect the oyster population and impact the water quality? I am not a environmental/ marine scientist, but i think it will F*ck up our fishery.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:44 PM   #9
captain sandbar
Registered Users-pm+

captain sandbar has been promoted to Piratecaptain sandbar has been promoted to Piratecaptain sandbar has been promoted to Piratecaptain sandbar has been promoted to Piratecaptain sandbar has been promoted to Piratecaptain sandbar has been promoted to Piratecaptain sandbar has been promoted to Piratecaptain sandbar has been promoted to Piratecaptain sandbar has been promoted to Piratecaptain sandbar has been promoted to Piratecaptain sandbar has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txflyrod View Post
You guys do make some good points on the dredging. What about the 95,600,000 gallons of waste water that could be discharged daily into the corpus christi ship channel and near the light house lakes. Do you think that could affect the oyster population and impact the water quality? I am not a environmental/ marine scientist, but i think it will F*ck up our fishery.

Curious where you get the waste water quote from? I did not see it in the video, are you referring to the dredging discharge, because if so, that is a completely different animal/issue from waste water discharge. Think about this for a moment.... In the summer Aransas Bay looks like chocolate milk, not because of dredging, simply because of the wind and currents, yet - absent prop damage to the shoreline - I don't see how that has slowed the growth of sea grass. Also, the oyster barges stir the hell out of the Bays nearby most of the late fall and winter, and the next day, the water finds a way to clarify. just my 2 cents.
captain sandbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2019, 05:02 PM   #10
Txflyrod
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain sandbar View Post
Curious where you get the waste water quote from? I did not see it in the video, are you referring to the dredging discharge, because if so, that is a completely different animal/issue from waste water discharge. Think about this for a moment.... In the summer Aransas Bay looks like chocolate milk, not because of dredging, simply because of the wind and currents, yet - absent prop damage to the shoreline - I don't see how that has slowed the growth of sea grass. Also, the oyster barges stir the hell out of the Bays nearby most of the late fall and winter, and the next day, the water finds a way to clarify. just my 2 cents.
Here is the link:

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/c43...5p8_794269.pdf