Planting tomatoes - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Home Gardening Forum
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2019, 03:27 PM   #1
tec
Registered Users-pm+

tec has been promoted to Piratetec has been promoted to Piratetec has been promoted to Piratetec has been promoted to Piratetec has been promoted to Piratetec has been promoted to Piratetec has been promoted to Piratetec has been promoted to Piratetec has been promoted to Piratetec has been promoted to Piratetec has been promoted to Pirate
Planting tomatoes

I'm itching to plant tomatoes here in League City but see that it's supposed to go down into the 30's in another week so think I'll hold off. Anyone braver than me already planted?
tec is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
TUNDRA
Registered Users-pm+

TUNDRA has been promoted to PirateTUNDRA has been promoted to PirateTUNDRA has been promoted to PirateTUNDRA has been promoted to PirateTUNDRA has been promoted to PirateTUNDRA has been promoted to PirateTUNDRA has been promoted to PirateTUNDRA has been promoted to PirateTUNDRA has been promoted to PirateTUNDRA has been promoted to PirateTUNDRA has been promoted to Pirate
planted mine last Thursday.
TUNDRA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2019, 05:53 PM   #3
stammster
Registered Users-pm+

stammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Pirate
Planted mine today. Any later and they will not be ready before it gets too hot in the summer.
stammster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2019, 06:24 PM   #4
MichaelW
Registered Users-pm+

MichaelW has been promoted to PirateMichaelW has been promoted to PirateMichaelW has been promoted to PirateMichaelW has been promoted to PirateMichaelW has been promoted to PirateMichaelW has been promoted to PirateMichaelW has been promoted to PirateMichaelW has been promoted to PirateMichaelW has been promoted to PirateMichaelW has been promoted to PirateMichaelW has been promoted to Pirate
Mine are in the ground. If it gets too cold, they can be covered.
MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2019, 06:31 PM   #5
BretE
It ain't easy bein me.........

BretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to Pirate
Wife planted hers yesterday along with a bunch of other stuff. Gonna find out how well seagulls like strawberries...
BretE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2019, 07:42 PM   #6
jm423
Registered Users-pm+

jm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Piratejm423 has been promoted to Pirate
Mine are in ground. In couple days will mulch, cage, put windbreak (aka paper feed sack) on North east side of cage. Later, depending on weather, take paper sack off, put shade cloth on SW side of cage. Trouble/ work? Yes, but it works for me.
jm423 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2019, 07:50 PM   #7
karstopo
Taking shots at fish

karstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Piratekarstopo has been promoted to Pirate
Hedge your bets. Put a few in now and then some later.

It doesn’t have to be all now or all later. Tomatoes tend to sulk in cool weather. If it stays cool for long, the early planting doesn’t give you a bunch of extra production.
karstopo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2019, 08:00 PM   #8
fishingtwo
You'll Never Catch em Like That

fishingtwo has disabled reputation
I put some in the ground yesterday. I went with the roma, husky cherry and regular cherry.
fishingtwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2019, 08:47 PM   #9
jtburf
Back in da Saddle

jtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Piratejtburf has been promoted to Pirate
Mine are 2.5ft tall and baring small mators already.

Just cover them that 1 night.

John
jtburf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2019, 09:39 AM   #10
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
Experience has shown me its just too early to put mine in the ground yet here just north of Livingston (snow on April 15 years back).

I have the first group of transplants growing in nice individual pots in warm soil until the time is right. Outside soil temps here are about 50 deg with near freeze conditions predicted for several nights next week. There is just no advantage, in my experience, to putting tomato plants in the ground that cold in this area...in fact, it sets them back and retards production. Yes, they can be covered but you can't warm that soil and they won't recover to ever catch up to plants kept in warmer soils.

I'll plant in two stages at least. The first group (about 10 pants) will be the Whoppers, celebrity, and cherry tomatoes. The second group(about 10 plants) will be the heat resistant varieties like heat master and also the romos. These won't go in the ground until about tax day.

I have found this approach to work best for me to maximize production over the longest time period possible. Its a marathon not a sprint. My heat masters produced last year up to September giving us a constant supply of tomatoes. We canned about 30 quarts of Whoppers and romos while eating fresh tomatoes all spring and summer.

You just can't beat the taste of home grown tomatoes.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message