Seasonal trends in Corpus Christi - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2019, 07:03 PM   #1
SKIPJACKSLAYER
Registered Users-pm+

SKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to Pirate
Seasonal trends in Corpus Christi

Been living in Corpus since June, previously fished Galveston bay complex for 10 yrs. ive had mixed results here with a decent summer, exciting fall and start of winter, but a really slow back-end of winter time. My last handful of trips I have fished hard, all day, with nothing to show for it. Sometimes not even a bite. Same areas that produced through the first half of winter have pretty much gone dead for me. I have noticed a lot of the sea grass has died in some areas that used to produce. Been fishing the oso bay, laguna Madre, mustang island and the north side of Corpus Christi bay occasionally. Just been parking and walking in at different locations I’ve found on google maps, or have been introduced by a friend. Fishing different types of areas with bait present. Areas like shell / mud / sand mixtures, grasslines with deepeer guts, etc. Been targeting moon major and minor feeding periods, mostly fishing on lower pressure days. Throwing all artificials. Any seasoned salts with experience or expertise wanna chime in? Not sure if it’s my technique or just my overall game plan. I have a nice motor I am looking to put on a hull once I find one. After that’s complete I will voyage further down the laguna Madre towards Baffin. Also having surgery soon on my hand and will be off the water for the next 4-6 weeks, and I’m sure much will change by then. But I’d like to study and learn in the meantime.
SKIPJACKSLAYER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2019, 08:00 AM   #2
SWCKurt
Registered Users-pm+

SWCKurt has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSWCKurt has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSWCKurt has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSWCKurt has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSWCKurt has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSWCKurt has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSWCKurt has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSWCKurt has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSWCKurt has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSWCKurt has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSWCKurt has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
You're likely going to get a lot of recommendations to buy the TroutSupport videos.
https://troutsupport.com/
SWCKurt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2019, 12:34 PM   #3
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
He already has them... anyone that already owns them can contact me and I'll help; send me an email and I'll answer the question SkipJackSlayer.

t

[email protected]

Last edited by troutsupport; 02-05-2019 at 12:41 PM.
troutsupport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2019, 12:47 PM   #4
1fisher77316
Registered Users-pm+

1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate1fisher77316 has been promoted to Pirate
One of the areas you specifically mentioned was Oso Bay. Unless things have changed (ie power plant not online) there was a seasonal migration from part of Corpus Christi Bay into the warmer waters of the Oso every winter when the fronts cooled off the water. The trout and some reds would go up Oso to the discharge at the power plant when the waters got cold and when the weather warmed up they would migrate back down towards the mouth of Oso Bay. The trick was finding where they were during this migration. Guts between shell reefs would usually hold some larger trout when you found that location. I have many fond memories of those trout. Mirror lures(51's) were usually the go to baits since the fish were in relatively shallow water.
Tight lines & good luck with your surgery.
1fisher77316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2019, 07:36 PM   #5
SKIPJACKSLAYER
Registered Users-pm+

SKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to PirateSKIPJACKSLAYER has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fisher77316 View Post
One of the areas you specifically mentioned was Oso Bay. Unless things have changed (ie power plant not online) there was a seasonal migration from part of Corpus Christi Bay into the warmer waters of the Oso every winter when the fronts cooled off the water. The trout and some reds would go up Oso to the discharge at the power plant when the waters got cold and when the weather warmed up they would migrate back down towards the mouth of Oso Bay. The trick was finding where they were during this migration. Guts between shell reefs would usually hold some larger trout when you found that location. I have many fond memories of those trout. Mirror lures(51's) were usually the go to baits since the fish were in relatively shallow water.
Tight lines & good luck with your surgery.

Yes I am familiar with the cooling plant in the back with warmer water being discharged. Haven’t fought the mud yet to get back there yet but have have success further down towards the university. Oddly, I’ve noticed the oso water has been much colder than water in the laguna on the bluff side. Found shell, bait, and clean water. During tide swings and solunar feeding periods. It looks very fishy, but still not catching like I was. Water is so clean n clear here it’s definitely not the norm for me coming from Galveston. I’m used to throwing red shad, Texas roach, and other dark colors. I try to match the hatch here but I might be off on my color scheme. I’ve mostly been throwing corkies, soft dines, and tails on 1/16 or 1/8 jig heads. Thanks for the info
Old 02-05-2019, 07:57 PM   #6
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
you're throwing the right baits for this time of year.. if you get in some fish whether that is clear or dirty they'll hit just about any color including those dark colors your mentioning. Can't beat chicken on a chain, and I haven't seen a corky color that hasn't caught a fish. Thing is, the fish never got the memo about color... keep with your confidence colors.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:37 PM   #7
SKIPJACKSLAYER
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutsupport View Post
you're throwing the right baits for this time of year.. if you get in some fish whether that is clear or dirty they'll hit just about any color including those dark colors your mentioning. Can't beat chicken on a chain, and I haven't seen a corky color that hasn't caught a fish. Thing is, the fish never got the memo about color... keep with your confidence colors.
Thanks Tobin. I stick to colors I’m confident in throwing. I’d rather change my jig head size and presentation than change my color every 10 casts. Colors tend to catch the fisherman for the most part. Sometimes they can be critical though.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:19 AM   #8
Lone-Star
Registered Users-pm+

Lone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to Pirate
You're part of the way there, youve discovered there is a change that happens mid winter, the patterns that worked nov dec dont work anymore come jan feb. The first part of winter the deeper water is warmer than shallow and there comes a point when that flips, late winter now the shallow flats will get warmer than the channels and guts.
Lone-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2019, 12:16 PM   #9
LagunaFisher
Registered Users-pm+

LagunaFisher is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I've had decent trips for trout throughout January - focusing on grass dropoffs and moving shallow during the warmer trends. The bait can definitely be a good indicator. Typcially, I can grind for larger trout up shallow (with deep access) and can catch dinks and keepers on dropoffs and deeper water right now. I also like to watch Texas Fishing Tips on Youtube for a general direction on where the bait guides are catching fish. I fish from a kayak and can get around pretty quick depending on where the fish are at that time. I've kept a log the last few years - I can rely on this pattern typically through the end of February.
LagunaFisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message