Simms Wader Saga - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2019, 11:05 AM   #1
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

ReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to Pirate
Simms Wader Saga

Have never really thought the expense of Simms waders was really worth it. But, in 15 or so years of buying cheaper breathable waders, I've been through 4 pairs - total cost more than what Simms would have cost me back then. The most recent were the best; a pair of Gulf Coast Waders.

So a couple of months ago, I came into a little mad money so I went and tried on some Simms G3 waders. They had a pair of XXL-Longs that fit except for the gut. I asked about XXXL-Long and was told they don't make them. But we checked their sizing info and the total length between the XXL-Long and the XXXL was the same, but the XXXL are not carried n stores so I had to pay for them up front and wait for them on "custom order." It was supposed to be 4-6 weeks, turned out to be over 7, but who's counting? Well, I was. You pay over $600 for something on order and the waiting sucks.

Fast forward to this past Saturday, I go pick up the waders. I try them on after I get home and they ride up in the crotch so bad I can not possibly wear them wading, much less getting in and out of a boat. I was heartbroken.

I take them back to FTU where I bought them and they gave me an instant return, no questions asked, because I had not had them in the water. Now I have to either lose 40 pounds so I can comfortably fit in some XXL-Longs or go on wearing out cheaper waders every 4-5 years. Such is my struggle
ReedA1691 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2019, 11:26 AM   #2
JoeintheBackyard
Registered Users-pm+

JoeintheBackyard has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)JoeintheBackyard has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)JoeintheBackyard has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)JoeintheBackyard has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)JoeintheBackyard has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)JoeintheBackyard has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)JoeintheBackyard has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)JoeintheBackyard has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)JoeintheBackyard has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)JoeintheBackyard has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)JoeintheBackyard has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Have you checked with other dealers? In the past the 3x were a in stock size, once you got above 3x they custom order only. I'd suggest checking with Johnny's in Eagle Lake are Tackle Town in Rockport they may have some in stock. Well worth the money.
JoeintheBackyard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2019, 02:28 PM   #3
camclark04
Registered Users-pm+

camclark04 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I’m not opposed to spending the money on a nice set but after 8-10 years of use I have enough fish scales ,smell, scrapes and hook snags that’s I am ready to replace them anyway. Makes me nervous being in the water in 8 year old waders. But I don’t like wet clothes and cold boat rides. That being said I have had really good luck with the cabelas premium breathable stocking foot waders. For $140 I’m going to replace my 8 year old set now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
camclark04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2019, 02:53 PM   #4
Salty Dog
Registered Users-pm+

Salty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to Pirate
If you can get 4-5 years out of a pair of cheap waders, stick with cheap waders.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2019, 03:30 PM   #5
KemoSabe
Registered Users-pm+

KemoSabe has been promoted to PirateKemoSabe has been promoted to PirateKemoSabe has been promoted to PirateKemoSabe has been promoted to PirateKemoSabe has been promoted to PirateKemoSabe has been promoted to PirateKemoSabe has been promoted to PirateKemoSabe has been promoted to PirateKemoSabe has been promoted to PirateKemoSabe has been promoted to PirateKemoSabe has been promoted to Pirate
Call Simms and ask for their custom shop, buddy 5'7" >300 had them make his g4z's. Now he weighs 175 and can't use the $750 pair of waders.
KemoSabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2019, 03:32 PM   #6
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

ReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
If you can get 4-5 years out of a pair of cheap waders, stick with cheap waders.
Well, I do, but not without a few patches. The problem is, once you start patching seams, you never know when you are going to spring another leak & be wet inside your waders in windy, cloudy, 40 degree conditions and everyone else wants to stay and fish.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:34 PM   #7
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemoSabe View Post
Call Simms and ask for their custom shop, buddy 5'7" >300 had them make his g4z's. Now he weighs 175 and can't use the $750 pair of waders.
I'll give it a whirl, because another $125 would not be a barrier for me at this point, tho by the time I get them, it'll dang near be wet wading weather....thanks
Old 01-29-2019, 03:43 PM   #8
irbjd
Registered Users-pm+

irbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReedA1691 View Post
I'll give it a whirl, because another $125 would not be a barrier for me at this point, tho by the time I get them, it'll dang near be wet wading weather....thanks
You can also pay an extra $40 and they will expedite a Custom Shop order. I did this and got G4Zs in 14-17 days. This is only available if they have the room in production.

I would also call Simms customer service and talk to them about it. If the two pair and the same inseam, the pair you ordered should have fit.
irbjd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2019, 11:44 PM   #9
Trouthunter
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate

Trouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Yep, exactly right.

TH
Old 01-30-2019, 11:05 AM   #10
Trailer Rig
Hooks on Top & Bottom

Trailer Rig has been promoted to PirateTrailer Rig has been promoted to PirateTrailer Rig has been promoted to PirateTrailer Rig has been promoted to PirateTrailer Rig has been promoted to PirateTrailer Rig has been promoted to PirateTrailer Rig has been promoted to PirateTrailer Rig has been promoted to PirateTrailer Rig has been promoted to PirateTrailer Rig has been promoted to PirateTrailer Rig has been promoted to Pirate
You are better off buying directly off of Simms website, they have measuring procedures to follow before ordering. Plus you avoid any markups.
Trailer Rig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message