Optimus 360 - Looks like a game changer - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 01-27-2019, 10:57 PM   #1
Calmday
Salty Dawg

Calmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to Pirate
Optimus 360 - Looks like a game changer

I have been hearing about joystick piloting for a while but just recently started looking at them. This looks like a game changer for bottom and kite fishing. I fish with my wife so it would be great to be able to actually fish instead of running the boat.
It would also be cool to give the wife and kiddo some confidence docking the boat.

Thoughts/comments?
Calmday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 11:13 PM   #2
stammster
Registered Users-pm+

stammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Piratestammster has been promoted to Pirate
Unless using a drift sock off the bow, every board I ever had would drift sideways. I’m not sure what that guys is talking about drifting bow downwind.
stammster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2019, 11:22 PM   #3
Calmday
Salty Dawg

Calmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to PirateCalmday has been promoted to Pirate
I think every boat is different and a lot of times current will have more effect (affect?) on your drift than the wind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2019, 03:14 AM   #4
ShawnQ
Registered Users-pm+

ShawnQ has disabled reputation
What kind of boat?

A rhodan may be a better, and cheaper option for station keeping...but wont help with docking.

I put one on my McKee 28, and it's awesome when the water is calm enough!

One thing I didnt like about the optimus was the whitewater/turbulence at the surface. It was non-stop on the boat I was on, to the point that it made it difficult to see into the water.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
ShawnQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 04:12 AM   #5
Calmday
Salty Dawg

I am a pretty fair weather fisherman so the Rhodan would do the trick most of the time. I hadn’t considered the turbulence but am liking the whole package.
One concern that I do have is keeping fishing line out of the props. A Rhodan would be better from that aspect.
How deep does your Rhodan sit in the water?
Old 01-28-2019, 07:35 AM   #6
ShawnQ
Registered Users-pm+

ShawnQ has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmday View Post
I am a pretty fair weather fisherman so the Rhodan would do the trick most of the time. I hadn’t considered the turbulence but am liking the whole package.

One concern that I do have is keeping fishing line out of the props. A Rhodan would be better from that aspect.

How deep does your Rhodan sit in the water?
The prop sits about as low as the keel, so almost 2'. But, I have a fairly high bow. I lose it in about 3' seas, the prop starts to cavitate with bow rise, and it no longer holds bottom. A true 3' sea is not fun for bottom fishing, anyway.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
ShawnQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #7
Jolly Roger
COME AND TAKE IT

Jolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to Pirate
Fished a 42 Everglades last year with Yamaha helm master control. It helped a lot when deep dropping, but would not hold a position. Does the Merc SkyHook hold over a spot?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 09:42 AM   #8
Calmday
Salty Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Fished a 42 Everglades last year with Yamaha helm master control. It helped a lot when deep dropping, but would not hold a position. Does the Merc SkyHook hold over a spot?
I’m looking at the Optimus 360 (different from the Merc system) which has “Sea Station”. It will hold on a spot at any attitude as long as the current/wind isn’t too strong. In a strong current or wind you can do position hold only and it will turn the bow into it and still hold position.
The Mercury system is a lot more complex and difficult to retrofit.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:52 AM   #9
Texans1
Registered Users-pm+

Texans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Looks like an expensive add on for flat seas and flat seas are few and far between.
Texans1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 09:56 AM   #10
Jolly Roger
COME AND TAKE IT

Jolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmday View Post
I’m looking at the Optimus 360 (different from the Merc system) which has “Sea Station”. It will hold on a spot at any attitude as long as the current/wind isn’t too strong. In a strong current or wind you can do position hold only and it will turn the bow into it and still hold position.
The Mercury system is a lot more complex and difficult to retrofit.
10-4, if it can hold a spot then it would make a huge difference. But it is a weird feeling to look back and see 4 outboards all pointing different directions at the same time. Like Shawn said there is a lot of surface turbulence and i did not like the way the F350s shifted in and out of gear. The mercs tend to be way smoother shifting so good chance will not have that problem. Only down side I could see is around a rig, the motors will bother mangos and you will have to trust it a lot to have big motors going on there own in such close proximity to sharp metal.

I can see a 1000 reasons it would help, and only maybe one it would not. In your shoes would go for it, have such a small amount of time out there. Anything that makes it easier and more fun with the family is worth it.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message