Paint overspray removal from boat any experience? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 01-24-2019, 05:27 PM   #1
ElGatoLoco
Registered Users-pm+

ElGatoLoco has been promoted to PirateElGatoLoco has been promoted to PirateElGatoLoco has been promoted to PirateElGatoLoco has been promoted to PirateElGatoLoco has been promoted to PirateElGatoLoco has been promoted to PirateElGatoLoco has been promoted to PirateElGatoLoco has been promoted to PirateElGatoLoco has been promoted to PirateElGatoLoco has been promoted to PirateElGatoLoco has been promoted to Pirate
Paint overspray removal from boat any experience?

Hello

I am looking for any experience that has been had on removing overspray from someone painting a house near your boat. I.e. did compound wet sanding or clay bar work.

Thank you

Tom
ElGatoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2019, 06:51 PM   #2
redexpress
Registered Users-pm+

redexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirate
I've had no experience with overspray on a boat but my truck got sprayed a while back. I used Meguairs Liquid Cleaner Wax in the dark red bottle. Available everywhere. Try on an area before you do the whole boat.
If that doesn't work try 3M Marine Fiberglass Restorer and Wax. It's the only thing I found to remove heavy oxidation on a RV. I bought it off Amazon. I used a Porter Cable random orbit with twisted yarn wool pads.
redexpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2019, 07:03 PM   #3
littlebryan
Registered Users-pm+

littlebryan has been promoted to Piratelittlebryan has been promoted to Piratelittlebryan has been promoted to Piratelittlebryan has been promoted to Piratelittlebryan has been promoted to Piratelittlebryan has been promoted to Piratelittlebryan has been promoted to Piratelittlebryan has been promoted to Piratelittlebryan has been promoted to Piratelittlebryan has been promoted to Piratelittlebryan has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by redexpress View Post
I've had no experience with overspray on a boat but my truck got sprayed a while back. I used Meguairs Liquid Cleaner Wax in the dark red bottle. Available everywhere. Try on an area before you do the whole boat.

If that doesn't work try 3M Marine Fiberglass Restorer and Wax. It's the only thing I found to remove heavy oxidation on a RV. I bought it off Amazon. I used a Porter Cable random orbit with twisted yarn wool pads.
I'm a painter....try going and buy a quart of mineral spirits , put it on a rag and then wipe it off if it is enamel , otherwise just some dawn and a little elbow grease should get it off.
Once you figure out how to get it off , then show the painter how to finish the job.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk
littlebryan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2019, 08:17 PM   #4
SailFishCostaRica

SailFishCostaRica has disabled reputation
I used to own a car wash in Kingwood, and we used MEK and we could literally wipe overspray off of cars like it was dirt. Methyl Etheyl Ketone? I'd check a spot that is inconspicuous first. We had a customer that literally destroyed half their car trying to get the overspray off one time, brought it to us and i got the whole car clean in less than 2 minutes. We got our MEK (it might have been MEKP) from Eagle One, but I'm sure you can get it at the hard ware store. Meguiars had some too, but it wasn't in their consumer line. There is a guy named Casey that works for CAM chemicals in Houston that sold it too, but that was years ago who knows if he is still there.
SailFishCostaRica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2019, 08:50 PM   #5
JWT
Registered Users-pm+

JWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to Pirate
House paint is water based so I would think some scrubbing with an orange based cleaner/degreaser would work. Goof Off works very well too. They also make water based paint thinner, and I would try that before Xylene, which I would use before MEK.
Painting my boat, I got 2 part polyurethane overspray all over my truck awhile back and got a pro to wet sand and buff the whole truck, but that is a different level of paint.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
JWT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2019, 08:52 PM   #6
Muddskipper
fish control my brain

Muddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to Pirate
Clay Bar it
Muddskipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2019, 08:53 PM   #7
littlebryan
Registered Users-pm+

littlebryan has been promoted to Piratelittlebryan has been promoted to Piratelittlebryan has been promoted to Piratelittlebryan has been promoted to Piratelittlebryan has been promoted to Piratelittlebryan has been promoted to Piratelittlebryan has been promoted to Piratelittlebryan has been promoted to Piratelittlebryan has been promoted to Piratelittlebryan has been promoted to Piratelittlebryan has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWT View Post
House paint is water based so I would think some scrubbing with an orange based cleaner/degreaser would work. Goof Off works very well too. They also make water based paint thinner, and I would try that before Xylene, which I would use before MEK.
Painting my boat, I got 2 part polyurethane overspray all over my truck awhile back and got a pro to wet sand and buff the whole truck, but that is a different level of paint.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
Once again I'm a painter Meek is some bad stuff try Dawn and some elbow grease

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk
littlebryan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2019, 09:38 PM   #8
redexpress
Registered Users-pm+

redexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirateredexpress has been promoted to Pirate
MEK is strong. MEK would be about the last resort for me.
Cleaner wax, compound/wax, diesel, then mineral spirits. Then your insurance agent.
redexpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2019, 09:54 PM   #9
TOM WEBER
Cazadora

TOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to PirateTOM WEBER has been promoted to Pirate
hand rub an area with 3M cleaner wax...I bet it works. Or you can take it to a detailer and get painter to pay..
TOM WEBER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2019, 11:03 PM   #10
SailFishCostaRica

SailFishCostaRica has disabled reputation
Used MEK on thousand and thousands of cars, it doesn't hurt any car paint, but it is great for overspray. Don't put it on rubber, leather or plastic. We got it from the Eagle One and Meguiars rep, and those are two huge companies and they sell to thousands of carwashes, so it's probably used in the millions of times in the carwash industry. I've used clay bars too, that works too but you will be at it for hours. Most people that tried the orange hand degreaser are the ones that brought their paint in destroyed. Pumice is like 800 grit sandpaper. I could get the scratches out after people used pumice, but it takes hours and good foam buffing pads. Wax will work if the paint isn't stuck good and there isn't alot of it, but if you are using a machine the paint that comes off (loose overspray) will swirl the paint badly. I used to wash 60,000 cars a year, detailing maybe 20-30 a day and made 7 figures doing it, so I'm not saying maybe MEK works, I owned the carwash for 11 years and used MEK every day. Including multiple times on my own cars, which weren't new, and there was no damage at all. Quite literally, Eagle One and Meguiars sell it (or at least they did 11 years back when I had the carwash) in an aerosol can that is labeled "Clear Coat Safe OverSpray Removal".

There was one year where it became popular for kids (Kingwood High School) to spray paint cuss words on each others cars. For a few weeks there, we were de-spray painting cars, maybe 10 per week. And one kid brought in a car with "female dog" written on the side in house paint. She had used a scrubby pad for one side, and scratched the paint crazy bad, and we literally wiped off the paint on the other side in less than 5 minutes with no paint damage at all. I then I spent 4 hours fixing the other side the best I could. It was a black car too, those are the hardest. And she kept coming in for years after that and there were no side effects.

Just try a small rag with one drop of MEK, and you will be sold. Post pictures up here of the before and after to make the people that have never tried it for overspray believers. I didn't think it was a good idea at first either until the rep for Eagle one spray painted on the side of his own car to show me....

And if you have ever been to a detailer or full service car wash, they have already put MEK on your car or boat, you just didn't know it.

Last edited by SailFishCostaRica; 01-24-2019 at 11:19 PM.
SailFishCostaRica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message