WANTED: Red Snapper - $250 Reward If Found - Dead or Alive - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 01-29-2019, 09:18 AM   #11
Ranger250
Registered Users-pm+

Ranger250 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRanger250 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRanger250 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRanger250 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRanger250 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRanger250 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRanger250 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRanger250 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRanger250 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRanger250 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRanger250 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
tagged snapper

The comms and the charter boat anglers should not be allowed to take a tagged snapper. only anglers fishing from private boats
Ranger250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2019, 06:49 AM   #12
Rufneck
Registered Users-pm+

Rufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRufneck has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger250 View Post
The comms and the charter boat anglers should not be allowed to take a tagged snapper. only anglers fishing from private boats
I understand your point, but I am just not sure how you'll train the snapper to not bite the hook from a commercial snapper fisherman. Ultimately, when/where they catch the fish is just as valuable to the study as if a private guy caught it.

I like the idea though and they clearly put some thought into it. If there is concern over the commercial guys not reporting their catch, the $250 should go a long way towards helping that. Now whether they really give accurate information about the fish or not is another story. I can see them saying that the fish were caught at a TPWD reef when they may have been caught at a secret spot.
Rufneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2019, 05:08 AM   #13
RobATX
Registered Users-pm+

RobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to PirateRobATX has been promoted to Pirate
Progress. Finally.
RobATX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2019, 08:05 PM   #14
Blue Fin Charters

Blue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to Pirate
[QUOTE=Ranger250;23655827]The comms and the charter boat anglers should not be allowed to take a tagged snapper. only anglers fishing from private boats[/QUOTE

SMH

Why should a Recreational fisherman that chooses to go fishing on a charter boat be punished? We should all hope that a good percent of the tagged fish get caught, regaurdless of by whom. I think this program is a great idea. I personally don’t mind who collects the $250. The big picture here is that a descent amount of thought and money is being put to use to collect data.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #15
hilton

hilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Pirate
[quote=Blue Fin Charters;23659731]
Quote:
The comms and the charter boat anglers should not be allowed to take a tagged snapper. only anglers fishing from private boats[/QUOTE

SMH

Why should a Recreational fisherman that chooses to go fishing on a charter boat be punished? We should all hope that a good percent of the tagged fish get caught, regaurdless of by whom. I think this program is a great idea. I personally don’t mind who collects the $250. The big picture here is that a descent amount of thought and money is being put to use to collect data.
Agreed - too many times the Feds' just want to collect data from portions of the fishing fleet - in order to get the overall picture, you need to include the overall input and not cherry pick which anglers' data you want to use.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:29 PM   #16
Blue Fin Charters

Blue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to PirateBlue Fin Charters has been promoted to Pirate
[quote=hilton;23660467]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fin Charters View Post

Agreed - too many times the Feds' just want to collect data from portions of the fishing fleet - in order to get the overall picture, you need to include the overall input and not cherry pick which anglers' data you want to use.
You are correct Tom. People should look at the big picture. Here is a project that can do good for all regaurdless of who gets the $250. Why should anybody be concerned about who gets the $250. I hope our customers catch some. I would like for all of us to be a part of a solution.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #17
Ranger250
Registered Users-pm+

Ranger250 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRanger250 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRanger250 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRanger250 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRanger250 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRanger250 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRanger250 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRanger250 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRanger250 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRanger250 has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRanger250 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Snapper tagging

I also do not care who gets the money. Its not about the money. The private offshore boat owners have been getting the short end of the stick for years when it comes to the red snapper. I think the comms and some charter boat owners will not tell the true data and info. I have been fishing offshore before most comm fisherman and many offshore anglers where born. I know what it use to be and what it has been for the last several years. Due to comm greed we the rec. private boat owners are at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to snapper limits and seasons. Tom thank You and everyone else for all your work to make it better for the private boat owners. I will also continue the fight by sending letters to my elected officials in LA. to let the states manage the offshore fisheries. Ranger250
Ranger250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2019, 12:02 PM   #18
Blue Fin Charters

Quote:
I also do not care who gets the money. Its not about the money. The private offshore boat owners have been getting the short end of the stick for years when it comes to the red snapper. I think the comms and some charter boat owners will not tell the true data and info. I have been fishing offshore before most comm fisherman and many offshore anglers where born. I know what it use to be and what it has been for the last several years. Due to comm greed we the rec. private boat owners are at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to snapper limits and seasons. Tom thank You and everyone else for all your work to make it better for the private boat owners. I will also continue the fight by sending letters to my elected officials in LA. to let the states manage the offshore fisheries. Ranger250
Im glad you had a change of heart.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:56 PM   #19
Trouthappy

Trouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to Pirate
And to think we used to tag snapper for free back in 1987. That October we tagged 30-40 off Freeport in 115 feet of water, at a submerged wellhead. Also one Warsaw grouper. Then we dove down to the bottom, and saw a few tagged snapper swimming around, also the grouper. The following spring, a commercial boat stopped there and caught about half our tagged snapper. Even several that had floated belly-up 100 yards behind our boat before we lost sight of them.

Unless each snapper is tagged in a different location, somebody is going to catch a bunch of tagged fish. They should have a $20 reward, not $250.
Trouthappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2019, 04:49 PM   #20
Blue Fin Charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouthappy View Post
And to think we used to tag snapper for free back in 1987. That October we tagged 30-40 off Freeport in 115 feet of water, at a submerged wellhead. Also one Warsaw grouper. Then we dove down to the bottom, and saw a few tagged snapper swimming around, also the grouper. The following spring, a commercial boat stopped there and caught about half our tagged snapper. Even several that had floated belly-up 100 yards behind our boat before we lost sight of them.

Unless each snapper is tagged in a different location, somebody is going to catch a bunch of tagged fish. They should have a $20 reward, not $250.
Charter boats will go fishing regaurdless of reward. Private boat owners might make a few extra trips knowing there are some $250 fish out there. I don’t think that would be the case with $20 fish. I think they are going about it correct. I applaud the effort completely.