WANTED: Red Snapper - $250 Reward If Found - Dead or Alive - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 01-22-2019, 01:36 PM   #1
40marlin
Registered Users-pm+

40marlin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)40marlin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)40marlin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)40marlin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)40marlin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)40marlin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)40marlin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)40marlin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)40marlin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)40marlin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)40marlin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
WANTED: Red Snapper - $250 Reward If Found - Dead or Alive

https://www.chron.com/life/article/S...hp?cmpid=hpctp

Texas anglers could reel in $250 by catching specially tagged Red Snapper
By: Marcy de Luna
1/22/2019

In time for red snapper season this summer in the Gulf of Mexico, scientists plan to tag 3,000 to 5,000 fish with $250 tags during April and May, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Some fish will even carry two tags for a total value of $500 to help scientists learn how many of the tags fall out.

The rewards are part of a $12 million study called the "Great Red Snapper Count." It was designed to check the accuracy of federal red snapper figures, such as estimates of how many red snappers live in the Gulf. It also involves visual counts, habitat surveys, and other studies.

Anglers should look for a tubular tag, about 4 to 5 inches long, with the words, "Reward $250. Keep tag." Each features a yellow plastic insert with a five-digit tag number starting with the letters RS as well as a phone number to call.

To collect the reward, fisherman will need to report the tag number, plus the fishing port from which they departed, the date the fish was caught, the fish's length and weight, and the latitude and longitude where it was caught, reports the Star-Telegram.

The tag itself should be mailed in, though the researchers may accept photographs, the Star-Telegram reports. Once the tag has been snipped, the fish can be released.

Red snapper numbers reportedly plummeted from the 1960s to late 1980s due to overfishing and incidental catch in shrimp trawls. Those numbers rebounded when federal regulation of the catch began in 1990. However, in recent years the recreational season got shorter and shorter, with many anglers saying that federal estimates are too low and seasons too short, reports the Star-Telegram.

Scientists expect about 10 percent of the tagged fish to be caught, Greg Stunz of Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi, who is leading a team of 21 scientists from the five Gulf states and Virginia, told the Star-Telegram. Stunz expects to study to conclude in 2020. "We'll be wrapped up in about a year," he told the outlet.

Congress allocated $9.5 million for the red snapper study, with the universities involved contributing $2.5 million.
40marlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2019, 01:39 PM   #2
Jolly Roger
COME AND TAKE IT

Jolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to PirateJolly Roger has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40marlin View Post

To collect the reward, fisherman will need to report the tag number, plus the fishing port from which they departed, the date the fish was caught, the fish's length and weight, and the latitude and longitude where it was caught, reports the Star-Telegram.
I see what yall are doing there........ ..

All joking aside, think it is a great way to collect data.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2019, 09:22 AM   #3
Texans1
Registered Users-pm+

Texans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
I saw this a couple of days ago but thought it was only in Louisiana?
Texans1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2019, 09:26 AM   #4
Texans1
Registered Users-pm+

Texans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of RiggerTexans1 has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I see what yall are doing there........ ..

All joking aside, think it is a great way to collect data.
i'll give them data every time i go out if I can get half of a tank of fuel out of it. lol
Texans1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2019, 09:38 AM   #5
Momma's Worry
Registered Users-pm+

Momma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to Pirate
the Comm's will get most ....
Momma's Worry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2019, 10:05 AM   #6
hilton

hilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Pirate
It's Gulf-wide - Dr. Stunz is leading this and we need to support his efforts as he is fighting the good fight for all of us.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:31 PM   #7
Drundel
Registered Users-pm+

Drundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to Pirate
No need to have reward tags. Look at waterfowl, they've been doing it A LONG time and every time I am lucky enough to shoot a banded bird the e-mail (and old paper tag) from USFW was the reward for calling it in.

I know some birds have reward bands, but most don't.

I think the project is a good one, but think the $250 is better spent elsewhere and I hope the comm guys don't get the money!
Drundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2019, 10:35 AM   #8
hilton

hilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Piratehilton has been promoted to Pirate
I wonder who gets the money on those commercial Catch Share Experience charters? Let’s say a recreational angler fishing on one of those charters catches a tagged 15.6 pound snapper - It will cost that angler $250 to take that fish home. Can he trade his tag for the fish?
Old 01-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #9
Makomecrazy
Registered Users-pm+

Makomecrazy has been promoted to PirateMakomecrazy has been promoted to PirateMakomecrazy has been promoted to PirateMakomecrazy has been promoted to PirateMakomecrazy has been promoted to PirateMakomecrazy has been promoted to PirateMakomecrazy has been promoted to PirateMakomecrazy has been promoted to PirateMakomecrazy has been promoted to PirateMakomecrazy has been promoted to PirateMakomecrazy has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilton View Post
I wonder who gets the money on those commercial Catch Share Experience charters? Let’s say a recreational angler fishing on one of those charters catches a tagged 15.6 pound snapper - It will cost that angler $250 to take that fish home. Can he trade his tag for the fish?
The way I read it is that you remove the tag and can let the fish go as long as you have the rest of the data they requested.

I am in!
Makomecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 12:24 PM   #10
keywest244
Registered Users-pm+

keywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerkeywest244 has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
I'm in for it, as said above about the ducks, it is another way of collecting data.
I'm also thinking there will be some deck hands supplementing their tip money by snagging the tag before any one is aware of the tag being on a fish. I'd imagine 95% or more of the folks taking charter trips won't have a clue about the tag.
keywest244 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message