Catching Crabs--Legal Device Question - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #11
Aquafowler
Registered Users-pm+

Aquafowler has been promoted to PirateAquafowler has been promoted to PirateAquafowler has been promoted to PirateAquafowler has been promoted to PirateAquafowler has been promoted to PirateAquafowler has been promoted to PirateAquafowler has been promoted to PirateAquafowler has been promoted to PirateAquafowler has been promoted to PirateAquafowler has been promoted to PirateAquafowler has been promoted to Pirate
This year I’m going to try the crab trout line I read about. I think the kids will have a blast
Aquafowler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2019, 10:34 AM   #12
Bull Red
Spending way too much time on 2Cool

Bull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to Pirate
Won't the crab nets float away when tied to a buoy?
Bull Red is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #13
Castaway2
"Skinny She Ain't"

Castaway2 has been promoted to PirateCastaway2 has been promoted to PirateCastaway2 has been promoted to PirateCastaway2 has been promoted to PirateCastaway2 has been promoted to PirateCastaway2 has been promoted to PirateCastaway2 has been promoted to PirateCastaway2 has been promoted to PirateCastaway2 has been promoted to PirateCastaway2 has been promoted to PirateCastaway2 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby_Corgi View Post
I'm sure everyone has seen these 2-ring crab nets frequently used to catch crabs from docks, etc. If you look in the TPWD Legal Devices page here:

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...vices-for-fish

it looks like they would fall into the Umbrella Net category. Assuming that, can they be used like a crab trap with a legal buoy attached rather than attached to a dock?

The reason I ask is it would be very convenient to set out say 6 of them to be checked occasionally while fishing an area. Since conventional crab traps are so big and bulky I'm not inclined to mess with them, but these 2-ring nets don't take much room on the boat and can be effective. Unfortunately, the regs aren't clear if it's legal method when used with a buoy or not.

Thoughts?

easier way.. just try string to checken neck and lay over the side of the boat check every so often
Castaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #14
habanerojooz
Registered Users-pm+

habanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Pirate
Catching Crabs--Legal Device Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby_Corgi View Post

The reason I ask is it would be very convenient to set out say 6 of them to be checked occasionally while fishing an area.

I watched a guy use this technique along a shallow muddy bank where there was no pier or anyplace to drop the nets from or tie the nets to.

He used empty plastic water bottles as floats and he tied one to each crab net. He threw down 5-6 nets within a few feet of the bank and checked them periodically. Used a stick to nab the floating bottle and pull the nets in. The water bottle float technique was very clever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
habanerojooz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2019, 05:15 PM   #15
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

ReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to Pirate
There's no issue of legality with these nets or of tying them off to a float. But I wouldn't leave them unattended for more than 10 minutes if I was in an area I knew crabs were prevalent. Two or three crab will strip a chicken neck of meat in 15 minutes and that net has no means of making them stick around.
ReedA1691 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2019, 08:28 AM   #16
bwguardian
archTech

bwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Pirate
I don't know if the laws have changed relative to jugging, but I seem to recall years ago that the jug had to include a name and contact information. If this is still an effective law, not sure how that would come into play if you are still in eye sight of them...
bwguardian is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #17
Jaysand247
Registered Users-pm+

Jaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to PirateJaysand247 has been promoted to Pirate
I tried to do what you are talking about. I made up 10 with crab trap balls.. I usually crab when the current is moving and they kept flipping over and tangling up. Make sure to put a gear tag on them ..
Jaysand247 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2019, 01:19 PM   #18
Toby_Corgi
Registered Users-pm+

Toby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysand247 View Post
I tried to do what you are talking about. I made up 10 with crab trap balls.. I usually crab when the current is moving and they kept flipping over and tangling up. Make sure to put a gear tag on them ..
I can see that could happen, so I think I'd try to crab in areas with some, but not too much, current. Also, a weight added to the buoy line could anchor the buoy without putting tension on the net. And, yes, I'd add a gear tag to the buoy.

Thanks for all the input. I think it's worth a shot. We'll see once the weather warms up.
Toby_Corgi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2019, 01:35 PM   #19
habanerojooz
Registered Users-pm+

habanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Pirate
Growing up, we tied a couple of 1oz pyramid weights to the bottom of the nets to keep the nets down.

I’d bet that a couple of 1oz weights tied to the big upper ring instead, would suffice to counter the wind or current pull of the bouy, especially if it is a small bouy like a water bottle. Only need enough bouy to hold the net line, not a rope.

It would be nice to go home with a dozen big blues now and then. Crab are virtually everywhere that we fish. Need to look at the size and limit info now.

Last edited by habanerojooz; 01-22-2019 at 01:43 PM.
habanerojooz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2019, 03:32 AM   #20
hans_on1
Registered Users-pm+

hans_on1 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matehans_on1 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matehans_on1 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matehans_on1 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matehans_on1 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matehans_on1 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matehans_on1 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matehans_on1 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matehans_on1 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matehans_on1 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matehans_on1 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
The rings are usually partially weighted by the ring being made out of steel and plastic coated, but they do not weigh very much. But they lye flat on the bottom so currents are only pulling on the line and buoy. Use one float and don’t leave them unattended because they can float off or get seaweed on the float and start moving, if you have currents down there. And pull them often. At least every half hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hans_on1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message