Catching Crabs--Legal Device Question - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #1
Toby_Corgi
Registered Users-pm+

Toby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to Pirate
Catching Crabs--Legal Device Question

I'm sure everyone has seen these 2-ring crab nets frequently used to catch crabs from docks, etc. If you look in the TPWD Legal Devices page here:

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...vices-for-fish

it looks like they would fall into the Umbrella Net category. Assuming that, can they be used like a crab trap with a legal buoy attached rather than attached to a dock?

The reason I ask is it would be very convenient to set out say 6 of them to be checked occasionally while fishing an area. Since conventional crab traps are so big and bulky I'm not inclined to mess with them, but these 2-ring nets don't take much room on the boat and can be effective. Unfortunately, the regs aren't clear if it's legal method when used with a buoy or not.

Thoughts?

Toby_Corgi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2019, 06:58 PM   #2
Bayoutalker
Registered Users-pm+

Bayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to Pirate
That's an interesting question. That net doesn't really match the description of an umbrella net in the regs. I think I would call and ask a game warden to be sure.

Cliff
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2019, 07:42 PM   #3
Toby_Corgi
Registered Users-pm+

Toby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to PirateToby_Corgi has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
That's an interesting question. That net doesn't really match the description of an umbrella net in the regs. I think I would call and ask a game warden to be sure.

Cliff
Agreed it's not exactly as described by the umbrella net description, but it's the closest. If it's not an umbrella net, then it's not a legal device and yet you see them sold and used all the time. I did contact TPWD headquarters and got a generic response saying if it's not on the legal devices page it's not legal. Makes no sense considering how common they are. I guess contacting the local GW is the best bet unless someone has some insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2019, 09:20 PM   #4
Its Catchy
Registered Users-pm+

Its Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to Pirate
You are putting way too much thought and worry into this. They fit the description of an umbrella net to a T. There are no restrictions on them other than they cant be bigger than 16 sq ft. Use them with a buoy if you want or off a pier. If using them with a buoy was illegal it would say so...

Umbrella Net
A non-metallic mesh net that is suspended horizontally in the water by multiple lines attached to a rigid frame.

Legal only for taking NONGAME fish and other aquatic animal life including crabs, crayfish, and shrimp.
May not have within the frame an area that exceeds 16 square feet.
Its Catchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2019, 06:07 AM   #5
Bayoutalker
Registered Users-pm+

Bayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to PirateBayoutalker has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its Catchy View Post
You are putting way too much thought and worry into this. They fit the description of an umbrella net to a T. There are no restrictions on them other than they cant be bigger than 16 sq ft. Use them with a buoy if you want or off a pier. If using them with a buoy was illegal it would say so...

Umbrella Net

A non-metallic mesh net that is suspended horizontally in the water by multiple lines attached to a rigid frame.

Legal only for taking NONGAME fish and other aquatic animal life including crabs, crayfish, and shrimp.

May not have within the frame an area that exceeds 16 square feet.
That's the way I would interpret it too but I'm not the law. The part I have a question about is the "multiple lines attached to a rigid frame." I'm sure it is legal but when in doubt.......

Cliff
Old 01-20-2019, 08:06 AM   #6
Its Catchy
Registered Users-pm+

Its Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to PirateIts Catchy has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
That's the way I would interpret it too but I'm not the law. The part I have a question about is the "multiple lines attached to a rigid frame." I'm sure it is legal but when in doubt.......

Cliff
If you look at the picture there are multiple lines attached to a frame...

These things are sold at every bait camp, tackle shop and sporting goods store on the coast for a reason. They are legal...
Its Catchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2019, 12:15 PM   #7
Toby_Corgi
Registered Users-pm+

OK, let's assume they're a legal umbrella net which seems reasonable. Can you attach a legal buoy to them as though they were a conventional crab trap as described in the regs?
Old 01-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #8
Bayoutalker
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its Catchy View Post
If you look at the picture there are multiple lines attached to a frame...

These things are sold at every bait camp, tackle shop and sporting goods store on the coast for a reason. They are legal...
No doubt they are legal. They have been around forever. It just depends on how you interpret the description. One man's meaning might not be the same to someone else. The original question was how can it be used.

Cliff
Old 01-21-2019, 07:56 AM   #9
Skavatar
Registered Users-pm+

Skavatar has disabled reputation
it doesn't say that you have to tie it to a dock/pier or hold it by hand, etc.

i doubt any Game Warden would make a big deal about it.

http://texasoutdoordigest.com/fishin...city-fun-food/
"Another common way to fish for crabs by hand is to use a crab net, which is termed an umbrella net by TPWD. It features two rings attached by mesh with the larger top hoop attached to a pull line, and when baited and dropped to the bottom, the device folds flat."
Skavatar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2019, 08:13 AM   #10
Bayoutalker
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skavatar View Post
it doesn't say that you have to tie it to a dock/pier or hold it by hand, etc.

i doubt any Game Warden would make a big deal about it.

http://texasoutdoordigest.com/fishin...city-fun-food/

"Another common way to fish for crabs by hand is to use a crab net, which is termed an umbrella net by TPWD. It features two rings attached by mesh with the larger top hoop attached to a pull line, and when baited and dropped to the bottom, the device folds flat."
I suspect you are totally correct about that.

Cliff