Everyone - I wanted to give you a quick update on the RipCharts mobile app. We've been busy in the off season with new mobile app capabilities and improved usability features on iOS. If your app hasn't automatically updated yet, you might check the App store to get the latest version.
Some of the highlights of this release include:
1. Grid View Listing - now when searching for the latest imagery, you can view the search results in a grid layout. This has a bigger thumbnail and you can quickly scan more results on your device. This is a really nice benefit when using the iPad.
2. Previous Search Criteria - if you periodically check for updates on the same imagery type (e.g. sst) - now your previous search criteria will be remembered for subsequent searches
3. Drag Down Refresh - additionally, you can drag down the previous search results list to get a quick refresh of the latest imagery
4. Map Overlay - this is a popular feature, where you can toggle on/off an additional map layer. A common scenario is that you open an SST map and zoom into a break or area of interest. Next you can choose an additional map to overlay - for example a chlorophyll. This helps you observe whether the temp break aligns with a color break, or if the warm water is in fact blue water. You can toggle on/of the additional layer as you evaluate different areas of interest. Additionally, we have an opacity slider that makes the overlay map partially transparent. This helps you view characteristics of both maps at the same time. I'll show an exmaple of this in the screen shots below.
5. Sub Surface Slider - The Subsurface model maps are created at 0m, -25m, -50m, and -100m deep. Now when viewing a subsurface map, there is a depth slider at the top that allows you to conveniently and dynamically load the map layers at different depths.
6. Auto load layers - Often times users like to view certain layers when viewing imagery. e.g. bathy lines or current vectors. Now you can select which layers you always want to view by default when opening a map. Configure this in the App Settings.
7. Several bug fixes and performance improvements
For Android app users - several of these are features are available on android, and the others are being worked on currently.
Let me know if you have any questions. If you are new or curious about RipCharts, and would like to take it for a test drive - let us know.
Imagery below is from the iPad
1. Recent True Color
2. Nice temp break running by Hoover. This SST was customized, zoomed, and tilted in 3D perspective
3. New overaly feature - showing a customized SST and a sea floor map overlay at 70% opacity. here you can see the relationship of the temperature break and banks on the sea floor.