Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #1
Skavatar
Registered Users-pm+

Skavatar has disabled reputation
Question lifetime license for son?

when I was in my early 20's, can't remember exactly when, I bought the lifetime fishing license for $600, later that same year (Sept) the price of the regular license went up, and a few years later it went up again. so, well worth it for me, and I never planned on moving out of Texas. now it costs $1000.

we went to the local pond for rainbow trout yesterday. and I was thinking about getting my son, 6yrs old, a lifetime license now, before they raise the price again before he turns 17. it may cost $2000 or more by then. my wife is good with it.

BUT we have no idea if he'll live in TX when he grows up. He may get a great job out of state, or get married and move out of state, etc.

I guess if he does move, we can just consider it a donation for a good cause?
Skavatar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #2
That Robbie Guy
Swangin' and Bangin'

That Robbie Guy has disabled reputation
If you can, get it.
That Robbie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
irbjd
Registered Users-pm+

irbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirate
Lifetime license is only valid for the person it was bought for/gifted to. Even if he moves out of state it is still valid if he ever comes back to Texas. I bought the combo fishing/hunting in 2009 before the price jumped to $1,800.

I say do it if you can swing it.
irbjd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2019, 04:17 PM   #4
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
He won't need a license for 11 years, right? So if you buy it now, you'll be letting them use your $1,000 for 11 years for free.

He would have to buy a license at 17 years old, but if he goes off to college he might not need one for another four years. So that's 15 years that you'd have paid for a lifetime license and not needed it.

Put the $1,000 into an investment account for 15 years and you'd have $2,078. The lifetime licenses are a good thing for a young person. But for a 6 year old, I'm not so sure. You're paying for a lot of years that you don't have to.
pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2019, 07:57 PM   #5
Muddskipper
fish control my brain

Muddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to Pirate
^^^this^^^^

I got the lifetime at $1,000 and the biggest mistake I made was not buying it for my son ....

But when you looked at the time value of money ....it made sense to take that $$$ and invest it, with compounding interest....you actually come out ahead....
Muddskipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2019, 07:59 PM   #6
onplane
Registered Users-pm+

onplane has been promoted to the rank of Privateeronplane has been promoted to the rank of Privateeronplane has been promoted to the rank of Privateeronplane has been promoted to the rank of Privateeronplane has been promoted to the rank of Privateeronplane has been promoted to the rank of Privateeronplane has been promoted to the rank of Privateeronplane has been promoted to the rank of Privateeronplane has been promoted to the rank of Privateeronplane has been promoted to the rank of Privateeronplane has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skavatar View Post
we can just consider it a donation for a good cause?
If you're good with this, go for it. From a money standpoint it's a loser.
onplane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2019, 08:18 PM   #7
Skavatar
Registered Users-pm+

Skavatar has disabled reputation
that's the conundrum, they raised the price from $600 to $1000. no telling if within the next 11 years, they'll raise the price again. trying to hedge against a price increase.

as far as investments, when he was 2 yrs old we had setup a college fund that gets automatic $100 per month deposited for him. Hopefully we won't have a stock market crash. we have roth IRA accounts, a stock account, and a few other investments such as silver bullion/coins.

do you know if they make an announcement about price increases ahead of time?
Skavatar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2019, 08:28 PM   #8
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
as far as investments, when he was 2 yrs old we had setup a college fund that gets automatic $100 per month deposited for him. Hopefully we won't have a stock market crash.

Oh, man, the things parents go through and the stuff we have to worry about. I don't know how any of us survive.
pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2019, 08:53 PM   #9
hooknbullet2
Registered Users-pm+

hooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Piratehooknbullet2 has been promoted to Pirate
Buy it.

Then everytime your son goes fishing the rest of his life he will remember you.
hooknbullet2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2019, 10:35 PM   #10
irbjd
Registered Users-pm+

irbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
do you know if they make an announcement about price increases ahead of time?
TPWD did in 2009. It was several months in advance of the increase.
irbjd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message