Throwing big lures inshore, surf, jetty, pier (Lucky Craft LL pointer or Sebile) - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2019, 10:11 PM   #1
Festivus
Registered Users-pm+

Festivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFestivus has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Throwing big lures inshore, surf, jetty, pier (Lucky Craft LL pointer or Sebile)

Who here throws big lures inshore, either in the surf, jetty, or off the piers?

Since my time is limited going down to the gulf I would like to know what people's experiences are with the big plugs like the Lucky Craft jointed LL pointer 170, which I think is about 7 inches and 2 oz or the big Sebile Magic Swimmers. I picked up a few but I really never hear of people on the gulf using them.

Do big reds, specks, and macks go for big lures or is this all just a waste of times and money?
Festivus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2019, 11:16 PM   #2
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Match the hatch.

Trout will eat whatever they can for in their mouth. I found a 30" trout dead with a 19" trout in its mouth.

Having said that most of the time their stomachs are full of much much smaller forage. Match what they want to eat. Most of the time a much smaller bait than you describe.
sgrem is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2019, 07:51 AM   #3
habanerojooz
Registered Users-pm+

habanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Pirate
If you absolutely want to throw those big lures, I'd wait till the summer and chunk those baits in the morning or evening surf. I have a couple of big swim baits that I've always wanted to try but they never get tied on. If I fished more often, then maybe I'd spend more time with them.....in the surf.

You could reason that because it's mainly large or good sized winter mullet left in the bays right now, the odds are slightly increased of a large trout whacking a slow moving 7" swimbait.

I personally feel that I'd spook a lot of fish chunking that big bait in our shallow water bays. A 7" 2 oz lure repeatedly splashing into 2'-3' of water after a long casts will probably cause most fish to scatter IMO, especially big weary trout.
habanerojooz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2019, 08:04 AM   #4
bill

bill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Pirate
Oh yes, summer time just as the sun is rising.

bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #5
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
The lucky craft isn't much bigger than a super spook... and we know trout will eat a mullet larger than that. I think it's all going to come down to how those baits cast in the wind. I don't really think it's going to increase your odds at catching a BIG trout or red. Thats done by focusing on specific habitat where those fish live most of the time. There are big trout in the surf, don't get me wrong, but there's no way to specifically target a big trout in the surf. The jetties might have higher odds of holding a bigger trout. I'd fish the south jetty in May - July if that's what you're going to do, but like above you're best odds are throwing the average sized plugs such as skitter walks, she dogs, one knockers, fat boys, etc etc. and the odds of having a big fish eat it are still about the same. Probably would increase your odds better to use BIG live mullet. If you ever get the chance to kayak beyond the breakers those baits would be good for kings and other species.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:12 AM   #6
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
Try a Magic Swimmer at the jetties at night. Just sayin'. Your question seems to be whether those baits are too big. We used to night fish the jetties with ballyhoo that were routinely 11-12" long. We caught a lot of big trout, but you would be surprised how even 20" trout will go after a 12" baitfish. Those big Sebile lures are murder, if fished right. The biggest difficulty fishing them at the jetties, IMO, is getting and keeping the right action/retrieve. If you pull them with the current, you have to move them faster than the surrounding water or they go pretty dead. And if you pull them against a lot of current, they ski to the top and wiggle pretty unnaturally.

The other problem is that most of our trout tackle really isn't suited for heaving a 2 oz. plug. (The fast sinking version weighs 3 oz.) You just about have to have a rig on the boat that is dedicated to them. And if you're out of the boat, you're using a rig that is pretty unsuited to the lighter baits you normally throw, so you're pretty much committed to that one. And it will wear you out if you try to fish it for a whole day.

Here's a fun thing about them: they match up really well with a 9' M or MH action rod. Now, imagine having two or three people on a boat whipping 9' rods around. But wait, it gets even more fun. Try wading with a 9' rod, and trying to get a fish close enough to you to land. You have to hold the rod tip up and let it bend. (Think spring-loaded.) If that hook comes out while you're reaching? Good times.

They're very effective lures, and not at all too big for inshore trout and redfish. I absolutely hate throwing them with a ML trout rod. And I don't like keeping a MH rod set up and dedicated to them. And I don't like wading with that MH rod, if there's any chance that I might want to switch to any of the other lures I normally throw. That's the biggest reason they get left in the tackle box so much, IMO.
pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message