Winter trout help - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #11
sharkchum
If you ain't first your last

sharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Piratesharkchum has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCKurt View Post
The part of Xmas bay I ran on Saturday had zero structure to hold bait or trout. No grass, no pot holes, no channels, guts etc.
There's a lot of bay I didnt see, but I am not surprised you arent seeing fish there.
Hell, I think in the 4 hours I was there I saw 3 mullet.
Keep in mind, what you think of as normal bait such as mullet, shad, or shrimp, only make up a very small percent of a trout's diet in the winter. While keying in on these kinds of bait in the spring ,summer, and fall can lead to great fishing, doing so in the dead of winter can be a fools errand.
There are hundreds of different kinds of shrimp, crab, mollusk, marine worms, and other tiny invertebrates that no one every sees that make up about 90% of a trouts diet in the winter. Since there is no way to locate this tiny food source, the next best thing to do use a trouts habits as a way to locate them. Like I've said before, the #1 way I find trout in the winter is by fishing areas that have shallow flats with mud/shell bottoms and deep guts, holes, or channels in the same area.
While Christmas bay is probably the last place I would fish in the winter, if I were to go there tomorrow, I would fish the north east end around Church hill bayou or Cold Pass.
sharkchum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2019, 03:52 PM   #12
pickn'fish
Registered Users-pm+

pickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballman View Post
Hey 2coolers: I do not have a boat and I fish the surfside and Christmas Bay Area with no luck. I was thinking I need to get to deeper water so I was wondering if the area between the surfside jetties and the coast guard station would be a good place to wade. Deep water in the channel would trout come up to the shallower bank. Anyone with advice would be great. Thanks.
Christmas Bay has deeper water close to Churchill Bayou. If you wade over there, be careful. I seem to remember a fairly steep dropoff wading it, but it was a long time ago - maybe as much 30 years or more. It might be where the teacher from Angleton drowned, in that cold water, a couple years ago. I fished it from a yak some time between, 2000-04. But, only a few occasions. The Freeport Channel/SS Jetty is an option, as mentioned, but, of course, you can't wade it. I, mostly, spent my winters in Upper... and West Galveston Bays. Water temperatures this time of year are lethal... Sadly, that young man was about to become a father a few months later...
pickn'fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2019, 04:07 PM   #13
Bull Red
Spending way too much time on 2Cool

Bull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to PirateBull Red has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkchum View Post
Keep in mind, what you think of as normal bait such as mullet, shad, or shrimp, only make up a very small percent of a trout's diet in the winter. While keying in on these kinds of bait in the spring ,summer, and fall can lead to great fishing, doing so in the dead of winter can be a fools errand.
There are hundreds of different kinds of shrimp, crab, mollusk, marine worms, and other tiny invertebrates that no one every sees that make up about 90% of a trouts diet in the winter. Since there is no way to locate this tiny food source, the next best thing to do use a trouts habits as a way to locate them. Like I've said before, the #1 way I find trout in the winter is by fishing areas that have shallow flats with mud/shell bottoms and deep guts, holes, or channels in the same area.
While Christmas bay is probably the last place I would fish in the winter, if I were to go there tomorrow, I would fish the north east end around Church hill bayou or Cold Pass.
Can you get to Churchill by driving up and wading? I have picked up a few winter trout in there before, but it was from a boat. The OP said he doesn't have a boat.
Bull Red is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2019, 07:18 PM   #14
Stevie_A
Registered Users-pm+

Stevie_A has been promoted to PirateStevie_A has been promoted to PirateStevie_A has been promoted to PirateStevie_A has been promoted to PirateStevie_A has been promoted to PirateStevie_A has been promoted to PirateStevie_A has been promoted to PirateStevie_A has been promoted to PirateStevie_A has been promoted to PirateStevie_A has been promoted to PirateStevie_A has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickn'fish View Post
Christmas Bay has deeper water close to Churchill Bayou. If you wade over there, be careful. I seem to remember a fairly steep dropoff wading it, but it was a long time ago - maybe as much 30 years or more. It might be where the teacher from Angleton drowned, in that cold water, a couple years ago. I fished it from a yak some time between, 2000-04. But, only a few occasions. The Freeport Channel/SS Jetty is an option, as mentioned, but, of course, you can't wade it. I, mostly, spent my winters in Upper... and West Galveston Bays. Water temperatures this time of year are lethal... Sadly, that young man was about to become a father a few months later...
That young man didn't drown over there. I think I saw him around noon and tides were extremely high that day.
Christmas isn't a great winter time unless you have a warming trend.
Stevie_A is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2019, 08:49 AM   #15
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
I've caught trout in the winter in Christmas, many, and the middle portion of the bay is deep enough to hold them. it's not optimal but it has the potential and I've caught them.

Most astute note above is 'Winter fishing can be a grind'... It's more a hero or zero sort of thing, and the odds can be on the zero end a lot of the time especially early in the learning curve. Certainly not easy even for experts.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #16
Bullitt4439
Registered Users-pm+

Bullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to PirateBullitt4439 has been promoted to Pirate
Xmas can be tough this time of year. Little to no water makes most of the bay less than 2-3 feet deep MAX. A 1 foot drop off is considered to be big structure.

If you are limited to wading I might try down by cold pass. The deeper guts can, at times, hold trout. And last time I walked in down there the bottom was decent as long as you stayed by the grass and waded towards the pier before going towards the gut. If you want redfish I would consider throwing cracked crab in to the gut and letting it sit.
Bullitt4439 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #17
pickn'fish
Registered Users-pm+

pickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie_A View Post
That young man didn't drown over there. I think I saw him around noon and tides were extremely high that day.
Christmas isn't a great winter time unless you have a warming trend.
"An Angleton Junior High School coach and teacher died while fishing Sunday morning in Brazoria County's Christmas Bay...."

Jonathan "J.R." Wagner was 30 years oldhttps://youtu.be/XCvwDjgKPoc

https://abc13.com/news/angleton-teac...ident/1652165/
pickn'fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #18
Stevie_A
Registered Users-pm+

Stevie_A has been promoted to PirateStevie_A has been promoted to PirateStevie_A has been promoted to PirateStevie_A has been promoted to PirateStevie_A has been promoted to PirateStevie_A has been promoted to PirateStevie_A has been promoted to PirateStevie_A has been promoted to PirateStevie_A has been promoted to PirateStevie_A has been promoted to PirateStevie_A has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickn'fish View Post
"An Angleton Junior High School coach and teacher died while fishing Sunday morning in Brazoria County's Christmas Bay...."

Jonathan "J.R." Wagner was 30 years oldhttps://youtu.be/XCvwDjgKPoc

https://abc13.com/news/angleton-teac...ident/1652165/

I didn't say he didn't drown in Christmas, just he wasn't in Churchill.
Stevie_A is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2019, 10:39 PM   #19
onplane
Registered Users-pm+

onplane has been promoted to the rank of Privateeronplane has been promoted to the rank of Privateeronplane has been promoted to the rank of Privateeronplane has been promoted to the rank of Privateeronplane has been promoted to the rank of Privateeronplane has been promoted to the rank of Privateeronplane has been promoted to the rank of Privateeronplane has been promoted to the rank of Privateeronplane has been promoted to the rank of Privateeronplane has been promoted to the rank of Privateeronplane has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkchum View Post
Like I've said before, the #1 way I find trout in the winter is by fishing areas that have shallow flats with mud/shell bottoms and deep guts, holes, or channels in the same area.
I'm new to this, fishing Aransas Bay. When you say deep guts, holes, or channels, how deep are you talking about. Would four or five feet adjacent to shallows be enough, or do you need more? Can you ever find fish in the 12-15 foot ICW?
onplane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #20
c hook
Registered Users-pm+

c hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Pirate
tarpon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
It's hardly wintery at 70 degrees the last few days....freshwater run off and big tidal swings affecting feeding patterns right now.

Firstly get troutsupport.com.
it's been a very cold winter. we have had plenty of cold weather and the water temp was cold cold. i've been on 2 recent wades with the water in the low 50's, so winter is here regardless of the air temp. looks like it coming up but winter is in full swing as far as the fish are concerned. as far as help for the OP find an area in west bay on the south shore. there are solid fish working the shallow right now. we had a 27 incher Tuesday, unfortunately it wasn't me. i had to settle for big reds on super spooks and smaller trout.
c hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message