Perfect Morning 1/7/2018 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Individual Fishing & Game Reports
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-07-2019, 11:50 AM   #1
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
Perfect Morning 1/7/2018

The sky was absolutely on fire this morning. (Pic below.) We are fortunate to be able to live right on the bay, facing east, so we see the sunrise every morning. And we see some spectacular shows. But even by our standards, this morning was something special. (Did I mention there's a pic below?) I almost can't imagine a bad day starting this way.

The water is painfully low. Not the lowest I've ever seen - that record got set just a few weeks ago. But below what I would normally consider a very low tide. I've got too many other life things to take care of right now, so I can't spare the time to put the boat in the water and make a day out of it. Most of the walk-in spots I know really suffer from water this low, so my expectations were low. So I wasn't too surprise or disappointed when I didn't catch the first fish until 8:30.

The wind was light for over 24 hours, so the water is pretty clean. But the sky was pretty clear last night, and the water was well below 60 degrees, even though it will warm up a lot later today. My thought was that fish would be out beyond a drop-off, waiting to move up into the warming flats later in the day. I found a few, right at a distinct drop - even though the drop-off was only about a foot.

I snagged about a half dozen, right along that ridge. They were all hovering right around the line between legal and throwback. I released them all without measuring. I felt a thump and set the hook, and there was no movement. I assumed I had snagged one of a couple of submerged poles in that area. But then it started taking drag and shaking. When she finally got up close enough for the net, I could see that it was a big fish, but by that time the hook was just hanging on by a thread. One shake an she was off. She sat right at the water surface for a few seconds, pumping her gills an fluttering her tail. She moved off slowly, dove, and disappeared. Perfect!

I took a few more casts, but it was obvious that the fish were widely scattered. With all the must-do tasks for the day, I headed back to the truck. I love feeling the thump of fish on the line. I'd be lying if I said otherwise. I got that, and I got to have a tug of war with one big girl, in addition to being on the water on an exceptionally beautiful morning. So even though I didn't have a single fish on the stringer as I walked out, this morning was just about as good as it gets.

If you're having the same kind of unseasonably warm weather that we're having down here, make sure to take some time to step outside and soak it in. If you can get free to fish, make sure and post, so I can at least see a few pictures of a keeper fish today.
Attached Images

pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2019, 02:26 PM   #2
taylork555
Registered Users-pm+

taylork555 has been promoted to Piratetaylork555 has been promoted to Piratetaylork555 has been promoted to Piratetaylork555 has been promoted to Piratetaylork555 has been promoted to Piratetaylork555 has been promoted to Piratetaylork555 has been promoted to Piratetaylork555 has been promoted to Piratetaylork555 has been promoted to Piratetaylork555 has been promoted to Piratetaylork555 has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks for the report.

Glad the weather is better than it was between Christmas and New Years and (some of) the fish were biting!
taylork555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2019, 07:37 PM   #3
fish4food
Registered Users-pm+

fish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Piratefish4food has been promoted to Pirate
Always enjoy reading your posts. Not very many things beat being in the water fishing.
fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2019, 08:57 PM   #4
TXBohunk
Registered Users-pm+

TXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to Pirate
How long do you estimate the big girl was?
TXBohunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2019, 10:34 PM   #5
WillieT
Registered Users-pm+

WillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to PirateWillieT has been promoted to Pirate
Great report as always. At least you got to see her. That’s a great pic. God paints the best pictures.
WillieT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 07:26 AM   #6
mccain
\m/

mccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Piratemccain has been promoted to Pirate
great pic! sunday morning was no slouch either
mccain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 09:15 AM   #7
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBohunk View Post
How long do you estimate the big girl was?

Big enough that I would have released her without a second thought. My first guess would be 25-26. I caught a couple of 24's in the same vicinity a few weeks ago. She was a bit longer than them, but not sea-monster big.

I don't judge anyone for keeping a legal fish, but I quit keeping anything bigger than 23-24 years ago. (Even a 24" sort of depends on my mood, but more and more I lean toward release.) That's what made that situation so perfect. I didn't have to handle her at all, but I got the chance to see her up close like that. It was the best of both worlds.
pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #8
StabbinFlatties
Registered Users-pm+

StabbinFlatties has been promoted to the rank of BosunStabbinFlatties has been promoted to the rank of BosunStabbinFlatties has been promoted to the rank of BosunStabbinFlatties has been promoted to the rank of BosunStabbinFlatties has been promoted to the rank of BosunStabbinFlatties has been promoted to the rank of BosunStabbinFlatties has been promoted to the rank of BosunStabbinFlatties has been promoted to the rank of BosunStabbinFlatties has been promoted to the rank of BosunStabbinFlatties has been promoted to the rank of BosunStabbinFlatties has been promoted to the rank of Bosun
The same thing happens to me every time I’m fishing with you when I hook the big ones. The only difference is I never get to see mine:-)
StabbinFlatties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #9
tamucc04
Registered Users-pm+

tamucc04 has been promoted to Piratetamucc04 has been promoted to Piratetamucc04 has been promoted to Piratetamucc04 has been promoted to Piratetamucc04 has been promoted to Piratetamucc04 has been promoted to Piratetamucc04 has been promoted to Piratetamucc04 has been promoted to Piratetamucc04 has been promoted to Piratetamucc04 has been promoted to Piratetamucc04 has been promoted to Pirate
Great report as always! Im ready to make the trip back down and get in the water. I really miss living on the water back on Copano. Stupid Harvey.
tamucc04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #10
TXBohunk
Registered Users-pm+

TXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocjetty View Post
Big enough that I would have released her without a second thought. My first guess would be 25-26. I caught a couple of 24's in the same vicinity a few weeks ago. She was a bit longer than them, but not sea-monster big.

I don't judge anyone for keeping a legal fish, but I quit keeping anything bigger than 23-24 years ago. (Even a 24" sort of depends on my mood, but more and more I lean toward release.) That's what made that situation so perfect. I didn't have to handle her at all, but I got the chance to see her up close like that. It was the best of both worlds.
18-20" is the perfect fillet size, in my opinion

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
TXBohunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message