Lew's Lite Anti-Reverse Issue - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2019, 09:38 AM   #1
Fishin' Soldier
Can't be what you ain't.

Fishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to Pirate
Flag Lew's Lite Anti-Reverse Issue

I own four of these reels. Two of the four right now are brand new. The two older reels are about a two and three years old. While working baits or setting the hook on a fish it will sometimes allow the handle to spin backwards and cause a backlash. I had to pick out a backlash the other day with a 19" trout pulling on the other end. I have taken good care of these reels. Rinsed well and have had no issues. Both cast and retrieve without issue. Any thoughts? The second reel just started this issue the last two trips.
Fishin' Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
irbjd
Registered Users-pm+

irbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirateirbjd has been promoted to Pirate
There is a known issue with the ARB on the Lew's Lite reels. I called them up and they sent me some new ones. But being they are 2-3 years old, they could have just gone out.
irbjd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #3
Fishin' Soldier
Can't be what you ain't.

Fishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to Pirate
Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by irbjd View Post
There is a known issue with the ARB on the Lew's Lite reels. I called them up and they sent me some new ones. But being they are 2-3 years old, they could have just gone out.
Yeah, the newest one is probably closer to 1 year old when I think about it more though. Other is close to 2-3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2019, 10:17 AM   #4
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

ReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to Pirate
I hate to hear this. Roller Clutch Bearing issues on my last two Shimanos is one thing that prompted me to get a Lew's reel last year. Not that the parts are that expensive or the repair too complex, but I went 16 years with two old Chronarch SFs and only replaced that part on one once and the other twice.

One thing I'd suggest is talking to a good reel repair guy as to how, and how much to lubricate that bearing. I think the light coating they suggest allows them to corrode too fast if, or when, water gets in through the crankshaft opening.
ReedA1691 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
RedFlounderBass
Bayou Burner

RedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to Pirate
Usually when that happens, the roller bearing has some trash/dirt/sand in it. Take it out and clean it.
RedFlounderBass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #6
Salty Dog
Registered Users-pm+

Salty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to Pirate
I don't think it has anything to do with corrosion because I have had them fail and when i pull them out there is no corrosion. They have little plastic "springs" that I think are to blame. They push against the rollers. If you pop the bearing apart there is a plastic piece in the bearing that has slots for the metal rollers to ride in and you'll see the little pieces of plastic in each of those slots that I am referring to. I think the plastic takes a set and quits pushing on the rollers like it needs to to function correctly.

It's not just Lew's, I have had a couple different brands with the same issue. The reel manufacturers don't manufacture bearings. I'm sure many of them are sourcing bearings from the same bearings manufacturers.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #7
Salty Dog
Registered Users-pm+

Salty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlounderBass View Post
Usually when that happens, the roller bearing has some trash/dirt/sand in it. Take it out and clean it.
I've done that several times. Pulled the whole bearing apart and flushed them out completely. Usually for me they will work again for a short time and then go back to acting up. IMO it's better to just call and get them to send some replacements. When they act up just replace it.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2019, 03:55 PM   #8
Fishin' Soldier
Can't be what you ain't.

Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
I've done that several times. Pulled the whole bearing apart and flushed them out completely. Usually for me they will work again for a short time and then go back to acting up. IMO it's better to just call and get them to send some replacements. When they act up just replace it.
I will try this, and call them to discuss this issue.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:57 PM   #9
Big Bay
Registered Users-pm+

Big Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to PirateBig Bay has been promoted to Pirate
Don’t grease the arb if you do anything with it a heavy oil is best. I like reel x it’s in a red bottle and the oil itself is green. Grease gums it up and can cause it to fail and rem oil or shimano oil or the like is not heavy enough. Gun scrubber or acetone works well to clean them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Bay is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #10
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
They have little plastic "springs" that I think are to blame. They push against the rollers. If you pop the bearing apart there is a plastic piece in the bearing that has slots for the metal rollers to ride in and you'll see the little pieces of plastic in each of those slots that I am referring to. I think the plastic takes a set and quits pushing on the rollers like it needs to to function correctly.

It's not just Lew's, I have had a couple different brands with the same issue. The reel manufacturers don't manufacture bearings. I'm sure many of them are sourcing bearings from the same bearings manufacturers.
Yes all the brands have this system for the anti-reverse bearing.

They have great customer service... send it back to them. They are also sincerely interested in being able to evaluate parts that fail and make them better. The warrant / repair address is on their website.

issue must be hit or miss as I've not had any trouble at all on mine.