Just bought my first Laguna rod - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2019, 09:37 PM   #11
1TroutTodd
Registered Users-pm+

1TroutTodd is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Great rods, I have a TX wader II, redfish special, and a liquid all fish great for their applications.

I do want to get a Sarge, what model do you have?
1TroutTodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2019, 10:15 PM   #12
dk2429
Jeremiah 29:11

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
Got to use the Laguna first time on Tuesday!

First fish on it happen to be a nice 23" slot red. Mannn did it feel good. Also caught a load of trout on it. West Bay was on fire..

After using it all morning.. I will say.... Maybe it's just because it's new, but I do prefer the Laguna over my Sarge. The Laguna has more back bone to it, but you can feel ANYTHING with the tip. The Sarge is the same way, but I'd say the Laguna has a VERY SLIGHT edge over the Sarge. I'm more than happy with my purchase. Sweet rod!!!!

I was going to get a Liquid.. as Chris was checking me out, i was told the Liquid was built in an overseas plant. I said hell nah I want one of the real deals built in Texas.

The model Sarge i have is Priest. Absolutely love it!!!
dk2429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2019, 10:27 PM   #13
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
Ooooh, that Latis Stick is nice. That's a piece of equipment that's worth the investment.

Good job, sir!
pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #14
tcountz
Registered Users-pm+

tcountz has been promoted to Piratetcountz has been promoted to Piratetcountz has been promoted to Piratetcountz has been promoted to Piratetcountz has been promoted to Piratetcountz has been promoted to Piratetcountz has been promoted to Piratetcountz has been promoted to Piratetcountz has been promoted to Piratetcountz has been promoted to Piratetcountz has been promoted to Pirate
Laguna Cyclones

I’ve fished with nothing but Cyclones for ten years or more. It is much more sensitive when throwing tails than rods with straight guides and you rarely get those half hitches with your line over the tip. If your rod was twisting when you fought a big fish then the rod simply hadn’t been splind properly. Our Laguna Rods won’t do that.
tcountz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2019, 06:25 PM   #15
pocjetty

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcountz View Post
I’ve fished with nothing but Cyclones for ten years or more. It is much more sensitive when throwing tails than rods with straight guides and you rarely get those half hitches with your line over the tip. If your rod was twisting when you fought a big fish then the rod simply hadn’t been splind properly. Our Laguna Rods won’t do that.

By "cyclone" you mean rods with the eyes spiraled around the rod? No offense to people who build rods that way, but I've never felt any burning desire to have one built that way. Never had any big problem with a rod twisting while I was fighting a fish.

BUT... when I am slow bumping a jig into a quartering wind, I have a real problem with the half hitches over the rod tip. And more than half hitches - I've had a couple of really nasty knots develop while fishing with braid lately. And it always seems to happen right after a cast, when I have a lot of line out. When you're wading, you can't even cut that knot without either dunking the reel or walking to shore.

If spiral wrapped guides will stop that, I may have to consider it.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:19 PM   #16
dk2429

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocjetty View Post
By "cyclone" you mean rods with the eyes spiraled around the rod? No offense to people who build rods that way, but I've never felt any burning desire to have one built that way. Never had any big problem with a rod twisting while I was fighting a fish.

BUT... when I am slow bumping a jig into a quartering wind, I have a real problem with the half hitches over the rod tip. And more than half hitches - I've had a couple of really nasty knots develop while fishing with braid lately. And it always seems to happen right after a cast, when I have a lot of line out. When you're wading, you can't even cut that knot without either dunking the reel or walking to shore.

If spiral wrapped guides will stop that, I may have to consider it.
If by "half hitches" y'all mean the braid wrapping around the rod, I can never get away with that. For whatever reason, it's worse on my recoil guide rods. Not this it always happens, but it does at least a few times a trip.

Braid is one of the wonders of the world.... I've seen braid tie a knot BY ITSELF that I didn't know was possible to tie...
Old 01-14-2019, 10:49 PM   #17
pocjetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk2429 View Post
If by "half hitches" y'all mean the braid wrapping around the rod, I can never get away with that. For whatever reason, it's worse on my recoil guide rods. Not this it always happens, but it does at least a few times a trip.

Braid is one of the wonders of the world.... I've seen braid tie a knot BY ITSELF that I didn't know was possible to tie...

I've only ever had it happen with braid. And it happens when I'm shaking the rod tip, bouncing a jig off the bottom, although I can see the same thing happening when I'm working a topwater. Somehow the line gets looped/knotted over the tip eye, and knotted in a way that is very difficult to untie. I usually wind up using another hook to tease at the knot (which isn't good for the braid fibers.) If you're standing in waist-deep water, you have to hold the rod in the middle, fight to keep the reel from sagging into the water, and try to untie the knot with one hand. And that makes it sound easy compared to actually doing it.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #18
shadslinger

shadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirate
Even the lightest wind in your face makes the braid wrap on your rod tip especially combined with what the about the most effective retrieve, slight twitches.
Try holding the rod at different positions on the clock and standing with your back to the wind more the rod low.
That sometimes helps, but soon as your start catching fish you’ll go back to how you usually stand and retrieve and the fish keep it tight to solve the problem.
When we jig vertically for white bass it seems anglers new to it who are great in the salt with lures have a hard time with the line wraps.
I noticed that it is the subtle moves they make that wraps it up.
Totally green fishermen have no problem as they usually sweep it high then drop their rod low. Makes this other folks mad when the newbies are catching one every drop of the slab due to a suicidal white bass hitting it on the free fall while they stay wrapped up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-16-2019, 12:08 AM   #19
pocjetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadslinger View Post
Even the lightest wind in your face makes the braid wrap on your rod tip especially combined with what the about the most effective retrieve, slight twitches.
Try holding the rod at different positions on the clock and standing with your back to the wind more the rod low.
That sometimes helps, but soon as your start catching fish you’ll go back to how you usually stand and retrieve and the fish keep it tight to solve the problem.
When we jig vertically for white bass it seems anglers new to it who are great in the salt with lures have a hard time with the line wraps.
Totally green fishermen have no problem as they usually sweep it high then drop their rod low. Makes this other folks mad when the newbies are catching one every drop of the slab due to a suicidal white bass hitting it on the free fall while they stay wrapped up

You nailed it. I've been fishing a lot with small bumps of the rod tip, because at lot of times lately bigger movements aren't getting the response. And, yeah, I adjust the rod angle, but sometimes I get wrapped up in the fish, and quit thinking about that little adjustment. I never once had it happen with mono. I usually don't have a problem unless it's a light wind quartering into me. A strong wind makes it pretty tough to work the jig that way into the wind. And straight ahead the line doesn't make the loop over the rod tip. Sounds like you've done this a time or two.

I've never been on one of those legendary white bass runs. I may have to come up and see what it's all about. How many do you usually take in your boat? By that I mean what's comfortable?
Old 01-16-2019, 09:44 AM   #20
dk2429

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocjetty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadslinger View Post

You nailed it. I've been fishing a lot with small bumps of the rod tip, because at lot of times lately bigger movements aren't getting the response. And, yeah, I adjust the rod angle, but sometimes I get wrapped up in the fish, and quit thinking about that little adjustment. I never once had it happen with mono. I usually don't have a problem unless it's a light wind quartering into me. A strong wind makes it pretty tough to work the jig that way into the wind. And straight ahead the line doesn't make the loop over the rod tip. Sounds like you've done this a time or two.

I've never been on one of those legendary white bass runs. I may have to come up and see what it's all about. How many do you usually take in your boat? By that I mean what's comfortable?
You're missing out then for sure..

My friend and I took a week up at Lake Belton last August. All week, white bass were schooling EVERYWHERE on top of the water. Matter in fact, one morning he was backing me down in the water, and before I even cranked the motor they were schooling literally right behind the boat.. he just unhooked the front and let me float off and I put 6-7 in the box while he parked the truck.. lol.

They are lots of fun, kind of like fishing under birds for trout. Once you find them, you have it made.

We basically gave up on going after smallmouth/largemouth and just ran the lake all day catching white bass. I was just throwing a little beetle spin, and he throwing some little crankbait