Waterproof Duffle for boat - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2019, 08:28 PM   #11
Icetrey
Registered Users-pm+

Icetrey has been promoted to PirateIcetrey has been promoted to PirateIcetrey has been promoted to PirateIcetrey has been promoted to PirateIcetrey has been promoted to PirateIcetrey has been promoted to PirateIcetrey has been promoted to PirateIcetrey has been promoted to PirateIcetrey has been promoted to PirateIcetrey has been promoted to PirateIcetrey has been promoted to Pirate
Before I got a boat, I had this bag which had all of the side pouches full and all of the plastic boxes in it.
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/Pro...dCatid=3420848

I actually have two of the same, one for inshore fishing and one for bass fishing. For inshore, replacing hooks, adding more leader material, replacing a popping cork with leader and tackle; I seemed to be using much less in the bag on a regular basis. My solution is to just take a plastic box or two, but then I won't have all the soft plastic bags I like to use. So, I thought a little bigger duffle would be useful to 1) hold the couple plastic boxes, 2) have a side pouch or so to hold all the soft plastic pouches, and 3) hold some of the other odds and ends I take on the boat. I already have a smaller roll-up type waterproof bag that I carry more essentials with me.

I appreciate the feedback everyone. There's a couple bags I had already seen and seeing someone post them here makes me feel a little better as well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Icetrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2019, 09:01 PM   #12
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
I have had a similar problem. I packed so much stuff into the bag, but most of it was stuff I rarely used. I had all this "just in case" stuff, and then I literally wound up carrying a plastic shopping bag with extra "essential" stuff that I didn't have room for in the duffle.

For me, the answer was just a commitment to stop focus on putting only essentials in the duffle. Stuff I know I used all the time. The idea of carrying a plastic shopping bag with non-essential stuff seemed sort of silly.

The only thing I have against fully waterproof bags is that when something wet does get inside, it doesn't dry out. I've ruined some tackle that way.
pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2019, 04:57 PM   #13
RUFcaptain
Registered Users-pm+

RUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to Pirate
I have a couple, one is a Scott tackle bag ( small duffle size) the other bag is a Yeti Panga. I know the Yeti is pricey, I got mine half off sale CoOp points from REI.
RUFcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #14
tamucc04
Registered Users-pm+

tamucc04 has been promoted to Piratetamucc04 has been promoted to Piratetamucc04 has been promoted to Piratetamucc04 has been promoted to Piratetamucc04 has been promoted to Piratetamucc04 has been promoted to Piratetamucc04 has been promoted to Piratetamucc04 has been promoted to Piratetamucc04 has been promoted to Piratetamucc04 has been promoted to Piratetamucc04 has been promoted to Pirate
Slightly off topic but I recently put "drainage tile" in the bottom on the storage on my boat. Especially if you plan on leaving the bags in the boat. Lets water out and air move around vs getting trapped under the bags and molding in the compartments.

I just ordered the lightweight plastic stuff off amazon not the heavy rubber mats
tamucc04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2019, 09:08 PM   #15
TXFishin
Relentless

TXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to Pirate
Also, aside from the fold-over bag, I use one of the BassPro bags for my 'Ditch Bag' and Safety gear, with the water tight storage trays it floats, you can fit allot of stuff even in the smaller bag like I have, see link below.

I've had it in the rain and occasional splashes and haven't had any issues the way the top covers the zipper

https://www.2coolfishing.com/ttmbfor...topics/2598691

Relentless
TXFishin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2019, 07:06 AM   #16
crawpaw
Registered Users-pm+

crawpaw has been promoted to the rank of Privateercrawpaw has been promoted to the rank of Privateercrawpaw has been promoted to the rank of Privateercrawpaw has been promoted to the rank of Privateercrawpaw has been promoted to the rank of Privateercrawpaw has been promoted to the rank of Privateercrawpaw has been promoted to the rank of Privateercrawpaw has been promoted to the rank of Privateercrawpaw has been promoted to the rank of Privateercrawpaw has been promoted to the rank of Privateercrawpaw has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Im not so sophisticated. I went the walmart route:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...Strap/48930986
crawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2019, 08:12 AM   #17
johnft4
Registered Users-pm+

johnft4 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerjohnft4 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerjohnft4 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerjohnft4 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerjohnft4 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerjohnft4 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerjohnft4 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerjohnft4 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerjohnft4 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerjohnft4 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerjohnft4 has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Look at the post by Curlin in General Merchandise classified (Ziplock Bags).
I bought 100 of each and I believe they will solve a lot of your problems. They are very heavy duty and will last.
johnft4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2019, 08:24 AM   #18
habanerojooz
Registered Users-pm+

habanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Pirate
For tackle, I use several types of bags. In addition to the Lew's bag that I use for my lures, I use waterproof roll top drawstring bags for my soft plastics. I leave the soft plastics their original bags and the drawstring bags hold a lot of those bags. It takes 2 bags to separate all of the soft plastics and colors that I have (too many). These Gecko drawstring bags work great: https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/gec...tSku=114658572

I use that big Sak Gear waterproof duffel only occasionally and only for bigger stuff. The Lew's tackle bag and the Gecko drawstring bags stay resident in a drybox dedicated to tackle. The idea of putting deck flooring tiles in the drybox is a great idea. Tiles have been ordered! I always have a little moisture in the dry box and I have to open them up to air them out. I think moisture is getting in when I blast the deck at the car wash.
habanerojooz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2019, 10:35 AM   #19
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin lane View Post
the problem with most bags-i believe the bass pro bags- is that the zippers are not sewn in with waterproof cloth and most moisture/leakage comes from the zippers-for clothes and odds and ends I use duffels like, and including bass pro duffels and just keep them away from areas prone to getting wet-mostly kept in deck boxes with gaskets or in the small cabin on my cc
Plus most of these bags have plastic teeth zippers but have a metal zip and it eventually corrodes. I used to have one of those bags, didn't make it 2 years.

I like roll top bags, but don't get the ones with the windows.. either get complete clear vinyl or complete colored vinyl, NO WINDOWS.. all the window ones I've had leak.

for a bag or duffel, that one posted by Habanero Joe looks like it's perfect combination of roll top and duffel combined.

I bought an Ozark Trail Cooler and even though it doesn't hold ice as good as the yetti, I'd say so far the zippers are holding up great and seem to be sealed. That looks like a good low cost option.

Last edited by troutsupport; 01-15-2019 at 10:41 AM.
troutsupport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2019, 02:16 PM   #20
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

ReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
Look for kayak / canoe style water proof boat stuff bags that the opening folds over three times then clip buckle if you want better waterproof.
This is what I thought the OP was asking about. I use them as a dry duffel for a change of clothes, a towel and food/dry goods I don't want to get wet.

For key-fobs and cell pone, I use a small plastic clamp style hard plastic dry box small enough to fit in the center console or leaning post.
ReedA1691 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message