Artificial Shrimp under popping cork during Winter? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2019, 01:50 PM   #1
TXBohunk
Registered Users-pm+

TXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to Pirate
Artificial Shrimp under popping cork during Winter?

We do well with DOA's, Gulps, etc during Summer and Fall. Are they still productive during Winter. Don't the shrimp migrate out of the bay (for the most part) during Winter?
TXBohunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2019, 03:19 PM   #2
tcbayman
Registered Users-pm+

tcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Piratetcbayman has been promoted to Pirate
They still work, especially when we have a warming trend and your in somewhat shallow water. If it’s cooler, I like to work the whole water column and a lot of times banging shell and mud is where they are at, but that’s just me though.
tcbayman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2019, 03:29 PM   #3
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Yeah work the whole water column... that's what I always say. I'd also say the fish don't know they aren't supposed to each 'X' what ever you are throwing. It's all about finding the fish and putting X in front of them. They'll hit X and Y if you find them, and work the whole water column even if you have to use Z. But keep it simple, focus on finding them first. Probe the water column. All this said, if you find yourself trying A, B, C, D, E, and F, and wondering if G would work.. that ain't it. keep it simple, work the column, fish your confidence baits, and hunt the fish.
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
Marker 54 Lures
Registered Users-pm+

Marker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBohunk View Post
We do well with DOA's, Gulps, etc during Summer and Fall. Are they still productive during Winter. Don't the shrimp migrate out of the bay (for the most part) during Winter?
Shrimp is fish cocaine , there not gonna turn Down a live shrimp ..

Now if you could find a lure that looks like a live shrimp and was specifically designed for a popping cork ..... wow wouldn’t that be something
Marker 54 Lures is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
TXBohunk
Registered Users-pm+

TXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marker 54 Lures View Post

Now if you could find a lure that looks like a live shrimp and was specifically designed for a popping cork ..... wow wouldn’t that be something
I will be buying some of your lures this year, lol.

They look awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
TXBohunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #6
CORNDOGGY
Registered Users-pm+

CORNDOGGY is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marker 54 Lures View Post

Take my monies

I always thought the same too, but I've been fishing live shrimp and my buddies are slamming on artificial.. I've been fishing artificial and my friends are slamming them on live.

I would LOVE to know why this anomaly occurs, but wouldn't we all.

Question though; When using artificial on popping cork, how often do you work the cork pop?
CORNDOGGY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #7
Salty Dog
Registered Users-pm+

Salty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to Pirate
The biggest difference in winter vs warmer weather fishing is the fish are less likely to come all the way up to the surface to check out what is going on. So if you are drifting 5' of water and are throwing a popping cork with an 18-24" leader you may not see much action. Lengthen your leader and get it in their face and you will do better. I know that sounds pretty basic but you'd be surprised how many people throw an 18-24" leader under their cork no matter what, year round, all water depths, etc.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 01:17 PM   #8
Fishin' Soldier
Can't be what you ain't.

Fishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to Pirate
Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORNDOGGY View Post
Take my monies

I always thought the same too, but I've been fishing live shrimp and my buddies are slamming on artificial.. I've been fishing artificial and my friends are slamming them on live.

Question though; When using artificial on popping cork, how often do you work the cork pop?
I do not fish with a popping cork much but when I did. I would just let the cork still long enough for the bait to stop dropping. When it was done I would pop again. Sometimes quicker pops got more strikes, but sometimes you need to pause a little longer on the fall, let it sit still for 2-5 seconds or so. Just like any other artificial you are in charge and need to make the bait move. On extremely calm days the cork may spook fish, you have to adjust your style to the current conditions.
Fishin' Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #9
Marker 54 Lures
Registered Users-pm+

Marker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by CORNDOGGY View Post
Take my monies

I have spent a min or 2 thinking about the above comment , we hear it quite a bit in regards to my lures (out fishing live shrimp), however a lure will NEVER out fish live bait.. despite what Gulp says... unless its under the below conditions in my opinion.

Live vs Artificial shrimp under a cork, in my opinion, devolves into one factor. Fin fish Bait volume in the water (piggies, pin perch, Grunts, etc). When There is a high concentration of fin fish bait in the water the live shrimp gets swarmed very quickly .. and rarely emerges from that bait cloud intact. So the larger Predators like trout and reds don't often pursue those offering simply because the Reds and trout have been conditioned to know the shrimp is not likely to be there when they charge in.. BUT if the lure is an artificial.. the lure moves then moves again and moves again.. the cloud is still harassing the Shrimp lure .. however from the Redfish and Trout view it appears the "shrimp" is eluding them and is still available ----> AND <--------- Because there is a army of competitors chasing this "offering" .. the trout and reds tend to be more aggressive..

In conditions where there are limited Fin fish bait int the water, bait is longer for the larger predators longer, and it can be inspected longer. Live bait out fishes lures , Because shrimp is available and looks like food. (longer may be 3-5 seconds .. but thats longer than 1/2 second with millions of piggies.

in my research i believe Fish are Boolean logic gates.. Two inputs required to create a action. Input A is this a Shrimp (yes) is this shrimp Still available (yes) fish strike.. Alter those inputs and you get different results.. The "fin fish bait cloud" around a live shrimp "= No" input.

So in circumstances with limited fin fish bait in the water live will out fish Lure

In circumstances with High concentrations of fin fish bait. Lures tend to out fish bait.

AS FOR HOW MUCH TO POP THE CORK :

i pop my cork like its a Zara Spook .. it never stops moving .. I don't give it the big BANG BANG let sit motion .. but i do work it like i work a spook .. constant movement and low sound.. Just imagine if you were yummy and delicious to everything on the planet .. you too would never stop moving like a shrimp

JWM
Marker 54 Lures is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 02:56 PM   #10
taylork555
Registered Users-pm+

taylork555 has been promoted to Piratetaylork555 has been promoted to Piratetaylork555 has been promoted to Piratetaylork555 has been promoted to Piratetaylork555 has been promoted to Piratetaylork555 has been promoted to Piratetaylork555 has been promoted to Piratetaylork555 has been promoted to Piratetaylork555 has been promoted to Piratetaylork555 has been promoted to Piratetaylork555 has been promoted to Pirate
Marker 54 - thanks for the explanation and info.

Definitely provides some new perspective and adds to the fish catching arsenal. Thanks again!
taylork555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message