Bayfishing - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2019, 08:09 PM   #1
[email protected]
Registered Users-pm+

D-broncoboy@hotmail.com is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Bayfishing

So I’ve Bass fishing my whole life lived on canyon lake for years and surf fishing every chance I get. I want to start getting out on the bay some where. I live near San Antonio area so corpus is closet. Anyway I have a 23 ft Kenner 2004 with a 150 Mercury I have have wireless 24v trolling.lowrance Hds7 live Wells vhf radio. Any way I’m looking for tips like what other gear do I need rods reels bait. And any particular gear I need aboard boat. Also where is a good place to launch for beginners with good fishing without traveling far on the water to start with I’m just a little nervous going out in the bay. Anything to look out for like how to spot shallow spots or rock. What time of year, time of day ect. Any advice would be good to help build confidence and get me out there. Thanks for reading
D-broncoboy@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 08:22 PM   #2
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Do not fail to get troutsupport.com. Today. Will be the best investment in your gear.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2019, 10:25 PM   #3
nauti19
Registered Users-pm+

nauti19 has been promoted to Piratenauti19 has been promoted to Piratenauti19 has been promoted to Piratenauti19 has been promoted to Piratenauti19 has been promoted to Piratenauti19 has been promoted to Piratenauti19 has been promoted to Piratenauti19 has been promoted to Piratenauti19 has been promoted to Piratenauti19 has been promoted to Piratenauti19 has been promoted to Pirate
i went from bass fishing to bay fishing also . a bay is just a lake full of water that ruins your equipment faster .
what i did was get a hooksetter map for kayak and wade fishing . helped me see the bigger picture . plus it was marked with some fishing spots .
i then just eased my way around the bay to the spots marked on the map , with my depth finder running .
taking notes and making repeated trips , i feel pretty good running the bay around san leon , on out to tx city and the jetty's .
you can also hire a guide to burn some gas with . learning process will be faster .
nauti19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 11:01 PM   #4
dk2429
Jeremiah 29:11

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
https://troutsupport.com/

I've come from bass fishing too.. Although I can't go out and guarantee a limit yet, TS videos have more than helped.

Gear- Your bass rod/reels will work fine for now. Just rinse them down when you get home. Since your starting out, shrimp under a popping cork is good. Artificial, the only thing you'll need with you is a 1/8oz flats lock jig head, a pack of plum and chartruese Tidal Surge lures, and a Heddon one knocker spook for the morning.

To me, the "if they don't hit this, might as well pack up and go home" of bass fishing is a texas rigged watermelon red plastic. The plum/chart Tidal Surge lures are the saltwater equivalent to me, if that makes any sense.
dk2429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #5
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

ReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to Pirate
I will repeat the Troutsupport DVD recommendation for how to choose where and how to fish. Invaluable asset for fishing the bays.

As to lures, if you are coming from bass fishing, I assume you know how to work topwaters. They work great most of the year, tho some times are better than others (again, see Troutsupport DVDs). Spoons, a jighead with a paddletail soft plastic & Mirrolure twitch baits (51MRs for wading and 52MRs for drifting). You can work your way up to some other lures like the Corkys.

I would recommend your equipment include chart plotter (fishfinder) electronics. That will go a long way to keeping you off of rocks, reefs and shoals, as well as helping you navigate in foul weather or dark of night (or morning).
ReedA1691 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
Ethan Hunt
Registered Users-pm+

Ethan Hunt has been promoted to PirateEthan Hunt has been promoted to PirateEthan Hunt has been promoted to PirateEthan Hunt has been promoted to PirateEthan Hunt has been promoted to PirateEthan Hunt has been promoted to PirateEthan Hunt has been promoted to PirateEthan Hunt has been promoted to PirateEthan Hunt has been promoted to PirateEthan Hunt has been promoted to PirateEthan Hunt has been promoted to Pirate
not sure if he specifically asked for a dvd or video tutorial recommendation, but isnt troutsupport gear toward those who fish with artificials only and who can fish off a boat or kayak only?
Ethan Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2019, 10:00 AM   #7
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Troutsupport techniques benefit every fisherman. Some of the footage they are using live shrimp while wading. So the above is not accurate.

You will never regret the investment in troutsupport no matter what or where or how you fish.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2019, 05:24 PM   #8
ltppowell
Registered Users-pm+

ltppowell has been promoted to Pirateltppowell has been promoted to Pirateltppowell has been promoted to Pirateltppowell has been promoted to Pirateltppowell has been promoted to Pirateltppowell has been promoted to Pirateltppowell has been promoted to Pirateltppowell has been promoted to Pirateltppowell has been promoted to Pirateltppowell has been promoted to Pirateltppowell has been promoted to Pirate
Get a cast net and learn how use it. And remember, ALL fish are structure oriented, whether that structure be a twig or the Continental Shelf. Probably the biggest difference between salt and fresh is the salt fishes dependence on water movement (current and tide). You'll figure it out.
ltppowell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2019, 07:56 PM   #9
[email protected]
Registered Users-pm+

D-broncoboy@hotmail.com is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Thanks for the info I’m gonna check into trout support for sure
D-broncoboy@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2019, 07:46 AM   #10
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
As for your equipment, all your bass gear is highly useful, especially any rods in the medium power rating, even your hard baits and soft plastics will catch fish. It's all about finding the fish and not this bait over that bait as long as you are working the water column similar to bass fishing. The reel can be a slightly different story depending on what reel you have. Many of the bass fishing reels will hold up fine if they are made of quality components, but there's just as many that after a couple of trips they will begin to fail. Shimano Chronarch, Lews Team Lews Lite, Lews Custom inshore seem to be top contenders for holding up. The Tx version of the 13 fishing Concept also has done ok. The main thing is that the real is made of quality oxidation resisting materials such as aluminum or carbon frame, brass gearing, and stainless bearings. Reels that contain carbon steel, pewter, and magnesium don't hold up in the salt water environment.

As far as reading the water while navigating... most of the third party maps like Navionics , Bluechart from Garmin, and CMapp (Lowrance's base map) will be fine as long as you are staying in at least 3' of water and stay in main channels when possible. For the most part if you look for ripples that are forming from wave action or current ... you better steer clear by 100 yards. Also if you see a crab trap sticking out of the water that's a no go as well, you'll likely hit bottom way short of that crab trap and there arn't crab traps everywhere. Review Google Earth images where there is a low tide with clear water.. such as a 2009 dated aerial photo and you'll get an idea where problem areas ares such as the spoils of west bay. East, Galveston, and Lower Galveston are much easier to navigate as they average much deeper with less spoil piles. Other areas to look out for are Todds dump from Eagle Point to redfish island in general, and Bulls Shoals. Be aware of pipes sticking up anywhere there are well heads near Smith Point and Trinity but no one will be fishing that area for a while due to how fresh the Rivers are. One last area to be careful is lower West Bay with the sand bars of San Luis Pass... go with someone that knows that area if you plan on running through that to Colds pass or Christmas Bay. Shell Isl reef and Carancahua reef also come to the surface in West bay but they are generally shown on the base maps well enough to avoid.. as long as you stay to areas marked 3' or more. West bay is obviously navigable but there area shallow sand features that extend off the south shoreline 200 yards in some areas and like mentioned above the spoils / reefs near the ICW and generally on the east end of west bay between Confederate and Deer Island is poorly marked with lots of shallow oyster. Also one condition that you need to know about is the tanker wakes thrown by the ships in the Galveston Ship Chanel.. their wakes rise up on the spoils adjacent to the channels and can throw a 6-10 foot cresting wave. The dangerous part is the spoils themselves. Crossing the wakes in the ship channel behind the ships is no problem because the depth doesn't make the wakes crest in the 40 foot deep channel. Also areas behind the spoils of the ship channel where the water is deeper than 6 feet the waves are essentially large swells and ok. Launching at the Dike you have to be aware of how the swells wash in and out of the launch areas.. water can exit the launch basin ahead of a wave set and then the wave sets can move your boat as the water returns back in. It's really not that bad and 1000's people launch just fine.. it's just something to be aware of. I'll let other chyme in as to how to launch successfully at the dike.

For the time being the fish will be concentrating in West Bay, East Bay, and Christmas bay where they can find saltier water. Lower Galveston bay should also be holding some fish.

As far as where to launch without having to go far and without obstacles, that's a little more difficult right now due to all the fresh water. For example, you could launch at ClearLake under the bridge but you'd need to run to East bay south shoreline. Eagle Point has a nice launch and you can always talk to Capt David... he's helpful and good people for information. Launching at any of the Dike launches would also work for fishing east bay. For Fishing West Bay I'd suggest launching at Watermans despite the 10$ launch fee. Launching there will put you in the middle of west bay and once you are there most people tend to do ok. Run straight out into the bay and get into 3' plus water and avoid the reef crest of Shell Isl, Carancahua, Confederate, and the ICW spoils.

Those are the obstacles... I know reading it probably sounds like doom and gloom but its entirely doable if you take your time and stay in deeper water while on plane.

besides our videos we do recommend combining that knowledge with going with a knowledgable guide for each area. See and understanding whats in the videos will help you learn on your trip with them. Give Steve Hillman a call for East or West bay, Greg Francis is good in West as well.

Enjoy and you can always ask me anything at [email protected]