Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2018, 06:32 PM   #1
papagaello75
Registered Users-pm+

papagaello75 has disabled reputation
Trolling motor suggestions

Need them for saltwater. Never had one, never used one. Bought my bay boat 2 yrs ago without one and now realize the value in having one. (I think) Will put it on a quick release plate. Only caveat is weight with motor and batteries as the boat is super shallow but weight will go in front so not as big a deal I don't think. Thoughts on which one? Upsides? Downsides?
papagaello75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2018, 07:17 PM   #2
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Either the Motor Guide Xi5 or the Minn kota. A lot of guys went with the ulterra to self deploy if you can swing it. As long as you spread the weight you'll be ok. You may still be back heavy from the outboard so adding weight up front might be good. You could also go with lithium batteries and cut that back. Depending on what you want to use it for you may not need the 100+ ft lbs. If you're going to chase open water redfish or fish on a strong current then get as big as you can afford.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:40 PM   #3
Csafisher
Waiting on duck season...

Csafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to Pirate
Minn Kota would be my recommendation. What size boat? If you are concerned with weight, then I would guess your boat is small enough to use a 12v model. That wouldn’t add too much weight.
Csafisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2018, 05:26 AM   #4
shadslinger

shadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirateshadslinger has been promoted to Pirate
$ not spent on a good spot locking minn kota is $ poorly spent. My 190DV Redfin has a 60” shaft 80# minn kota and it holds it in great in heavy current.
You will feel the weight, especially if you get 24 volt or higher. The best fishing tool in a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-24-2018, 07:17 AM   #5
Marker 54 Lures
Registered Users-pm+

Marker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to PirateMarker 54 Lures has been promoted to Pirate
if your boat is over 19 you need a 24v .. unless you NEVER plan on trying to troll upwind .. lol gL..

i have the motor guide xi5 for one reason .. its go the same features and costs 1/2 of the similar features in a minnkota .. so i can blow one up and buy a new motor and still be spending the same $$ as on a motor guide..

for the record the Xi5 runs perfectly, has awesome battery life, and with the $1100 i saved over a mini kota i bought a new burn bar and front casting platform for my 19..

but everyone still LOVES minnkota ..
Marker 54 Lures is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2018, 08:08 AM   #6
Csafisher
Waiting on duck season...

Csafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to PirateCsafisher has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marker 54 Lures View Post
if your boat is over 19 you need a 24v .. unless you NEVER plan on trying to troll upwind .. lol gL..

i have the motor guide xi5 for one reason .. its go the same features and costs 1/2 of the similar features in a minnkota .. so i can blow one up and buy a new motor and still be spending the same $$ as on a motor guide..

for the record the Xi5 runs perfectly, has awesome battery life, and with the $1100 i saved over a mini kota i bought a new burn bar and front casting platform for my 19..

but everyone still LOVES minnkota ..
How did you save $1100? These 2 models are nearly identical with features and price?

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/moto...h-pinpoint-gps

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/minn...r-with-i-pilot
Csafisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2018, 08:37 AM   #7
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
Gulf Coast Trolling motors told me they sell 100 to 1 of the Minn Kota over the Motorguide.

You will never regret the investment in the Ipilot.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2018, 08:55 AM   #8
Gofish2day
Registered Users-pm+

Gofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to PirateGofish2day has been promoted to Pirate
I have the Minn Kota Terrova 24V-80# with spot lock on a 20ft bay boat. All you will ever need. I can stay spot locked in 20+ winds with no problem. I have not used an anchor in almost 3 years now.
Motor guide - connects to Lowrance
Minn Kota connects to Hummingbird

I have not found the need to connect to the Fishfinder. Just saying if you want more waypoints etc.
Gofish2day is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #9
marshrunner757
Registered Users-pm+

marshrunner757 has been promoted to Piratemarshrunner757 has been promoted to Piratemarshrunner757 has been promoted to Piratemarshrunner757 has been promoted to Piratemarshrunner757 has been promoted to Piratemarshrunner757 has been promoted to Piratemarshrunner757 has been promoted to Piratemarshrunner757 has been promoted to Piratemarshrunner757 has been promoted to Piratemarshrunner757 has been promoted to Piratemarshrunner757 has been promoted to Pirate
Love my terrova riptide 80. Total game changer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
marshrunner757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2018, 11:07 AM   #10
rglide09
Registered Users-pm+

rglide09 has been promoted to Piraterglide09 has been promoted to Piraterglide09 has been promoted to Piraterglide09 has been promoted to Piraterglide09 has been promoted to Piraterglide09 has been promoted to Piraterglide09 has been promoted to Piraterglide09 has been promoted to Piraterglide09 has been promoted to Piraterglide09 has been promoted to Piraterglide09 has been promoted to Pirate
The Terravo and the X15 w/spot lock are just about the same price, the Ulterra with self deploy is the expensive unit. As others have stated the Terravo w/ipilot is hard to beat. I ran Motor Guides for years and switched to the Terravo 3 years ago and never looked back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rglide09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message