Line choices for tuna - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 12-21-2018, 09:20 PM   #11
bigrome12
Registered Users-pm+

bigrome12 has been promoted to Piratebigrome12 has been promoted to Piratebigrome12 has been promoted to Piratebigrome12 has been promoted to Piratebigrome12 has been promoted to Piratebigrome12 has been promoted to Piratebigrome12 has been promoted to Piratebigrome12 has been promoted to Piratebigrome12 has been promoted to Piratebigrome12 has been promoted to Piratebigrome12 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnQ View Post
Those of you casting fluoro leaders, what knots are you using to tie to the braid?

For casting, I am running 50 or 65# braid, 60 or 80# fluoro

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Bimini twist in the braid then connect the fluoro leader with an Albright knot. Has never failed
bigrome12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2018, 08:30 AM   #12
gordaskipper
Registered Users-pm+

gordaskipper has been promoted to Pirategordaskipper has been promoted to Pirategordaskipper has been promoted to Pirategordaskipper has been promoted to Pirategordaskipper has been promoted to Pirategordaskipper has been promoted to Pirategordaskipper has been promoted to Pirategordaskipper has been promoted to Pirategordaskipper has been promoted to Pirategordaskipper has been promoted to Pirategordaskipper has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCfishing View Post
Would yall rather have 300 yards and some change of 80lb braid or 500+ of 50lb?
depends on your reel and the drag...one guy brought his Penn 6/0 with 60# mono got dump about two thirds with 80# tuna...we did land it, harnessed the whole fight...I prefer braid most recently at Hoover guy who custom build rods, got into a huge tuna on a spinner dump the line about 3/4...perused a 30 minute fight to boat with rod tip in the water most of the time....no fish and no control ?

Most of the time time smaller tuna are the norm, however best to be on the safe side... just depends then which rig is used and how heavy it is and jigging long hours?

Wicked Tuna Dave Marciano they fought a Bluefin on standup tackle 3.5 hours one show
gordaskipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2018, 08:53 AM   #13
photofishin
Registered Users-pm+

photofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Those of you casting fluoro leaders, what knots are you using to tie to the braid?

For casting, I am running 50 or 65# braid, 60 or 80# fluoro

I use the FG knot
photofishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2018, 08:55 AM   #14
ShawnQ
Registered Users-pm+

ShawnQ has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by photofishin View Post
I use the FG knot
I usually do as well. I just hate that it frays, starts sounding horrible as you cast it, and I had one unravel.

ShawnQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2018, 05:12 PM   #15
TXFishin
Relentless

TXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to Pirate
FG here as well, use the method below to tie it, super easy, taught my wife how using this method in just a few tries

A couple extra half-hitches on top will prevent it from fraying over time.

Avoid "knot glue" this will prevent it from tightening down properly

https://youtu.be/pjzUb5QRKuk

Relentless
TXFishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2018, 05:14 PM   #16
ReelTrouble77072
Registered Users-pm+

ReelTrouble77072 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
first knot usually is FG, after break off its all albright all day.
I rather have 80# braid and muscle the tuna, they cant dive if you control the head directions
ReelTrouble77072 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2018, 02:36 AM   #17
TXFishin
Relentless

TXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to PirateTXFishin has been promoted to Pirate
This was posted from a knot strength test at IGFA or iCast, forgot which one, but was interesting article

Relentless
TXFishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #18
photofishin
Registered Users-pm+

photofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
I usually do as well. I just hate that it frays, starts sounding horrible as you cast it, and I had one unravel.

I use the rizzoto finish. That way it doesn't fray or pull out. If an FG knot is breaking, you're not tying it correctly. The knot needs to dig into the flouro and pull like a Chinese finger trap. Once cinched down properly, it's one of the strongest knots of its type out there. Here's a good video showing how to properly tie it.

Last edited by photofishin; 12-27-2018 at 09:33 AM.
photofishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2018, 09:10 AM   #19
24Trophy
Registered Users-pm+

24Trophy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)24Trophy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)24Trophy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)24Trophy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)24Trophy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)24Trophy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)24Trophy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)24Trophy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)24Trophy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)24Trophy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)24Trophy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Rigging for Tuna

It would be good to know where you are fishing and the targeted Tuna YFT or BFT? The size difference between 65 and 80 is .02mm on average, you are going to gain the capacity over mono. Being that you will use a leader of mono or fluorocarbon, whether a wind on, top shot etc., the size of braid either 65 or 80 is the small matter of reel line capacity. I go for the extra strength of the 80lb braid, a couple of yards of line is a small sacrifice for the extra strength. For the jigging outfit, I like a metered line (count down) when the fish are marked at 300 you are right there. For the casting outfit, my choice is Super Slick and you should lookout of the new V2 line which I have and it cast wonderfully. The Super Slick is much easier on fingers (I always tape up), than other braided lines. If you are thinking of going to a hollow core line the diameter is slightly larger, so the capacity become more of a question and I would go with 60 or 65lb line. There are several good connections for a clean braid to leader wind ons, this is important for casting. I like a short fluorocarbon leader connected to a quick clip, or a high quality stainless steel bearing swivel and split ring. The quick clip makes changing lures effortless. If toothy fish are around I attach the high dollar lure with a short coated stranded wire leaded. I like a twisted leader when casting poppers for 80lb + fish, it offer greater shock resistance with the added abrasion resistance.

Hope this helps.
24Trophy
24Trophy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2018, 10:12 PM   #20
Swells
Registered Users-pm+

Swells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to Pirate
I might be crazy but I use a good line like clear mono Momoi or Ande 50#, no leader to the lure, on a San Diego Jam Knot. Kinda nice because if the line gets scuffed up by a fish, just cut it back a tie on something else. It seems to work for large blackfin and smallish YFT which are common off Texas nowadays.
Swells is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message