Grady White 282 Sailfish - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 12-09-2018, 10:12 PM   #1
Seawolf5481
Registered Users-pm+

Seawolf5481 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Seawolf5481 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Seawolf5481 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Seawolf5481 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Seawolf5481 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Seawolf5481 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Seawolf5481 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Seawolf5481 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Seawolf5481 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Seawolf5481 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Seawolf5481 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Grady White 282 Sailfish

Been looking at the Grady white 282 sailfish online quite a bit. I was wondering if anyone on here is running a 282 and what your thoughts are for GOM fishing. This will be a family boat that will see as much family time as hard fishing time. Any other walk around or express type boats I should consider in this size range?
Seawolf5481 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #2
Robert.Parson
Formerly known as parsrobc

Robert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to Pirate
Catamarans.
Smoother ride.
Great for all conditions.
More room on deck.
Two independent propulsion systems.
My family loves ours compared to our two previous deep V's.
But whatever you decide, be sure a RIDE them on a rough day.
Boats are a huge investment of both money and time. It's important to get it right the first time.

I have never owned a cabin boat or family cruiser, so I can't comment on those aspects.
But if it was me, i would probably look at a Glacier Bay.

Good luck.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Robert.Parson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2018, 11:13 AM   #3
Wizness
Registered Users-pm+

Wizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to Pirate
Just keep in mind they will get very hot with our summers. Read on thehulltruth. There are some threads about them. I do believe they are pretty bow heavy.
Wizness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
jamesw
Registered Users-pm+

jamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Piratejamesw has been promoted to Pirate
I would also look at the World Cat 270 sport cabin as well, fitted with 225hp Yamaha or Suzuki motors. Very similar in price and a smoother ride on the cat - but a lower top speed.

HTH
James
jamesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2018, 04:29 PM   #5
JWT
Registered Users-pm+

JWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to Pirate
The cabin on a boat that size is too small to use for anything but storage and too hot 9 months out of the year. First make sure a center console will not work for the family. You can get a large t-top fabricated and even get extensions for it when not moving. A family boat that is also a hard core fishing boat doesn't exist in that size range. I agree with the previous posters that a Worldcat comes the closest, in either the 25' dual console or the 27' Sportdeck. Just a word of warning, your days in the open gulf will be very limited in that size range, even in a cat.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
JWT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2018, 04:43 PM   #6
Robert.Parson
Formerly known as parsrobc

Robert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to Pirate
Seawolf
I respectfully disagree with JWT on the restricted days. They are less restrictive with a cat than they are with a deep V in the same size range.
All things being equal, no matter what seas you venture out in, a cat will be more comfortable. I haven’t been out in anything over 3.5’ seas in my cat yet, but compared to the same seas (as reported by buoy 42019) that I went out in my 26’ Robalo or my 23’ Ranger CC Offshore, this cat is NO comparison. The comfort is amazing.

The only thing I found a necessity in a cat versus a deep V is an AUTOPILOT. This may be unique to my SeaCat hull, (or my loose steering knuckle,) but keeping it on a straight heading is tough in anything other than a direct head-on sea.

Robert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robert.Parson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2018, 05:02 PM   #7
Redtailcharters.com
Registered Users-pm+

Redtailcharters.com has been promoted to PirateRedtailcharters.com has been promoted to PirateRedtailcharters.com has been promoted to PirateRedtailcharters.com has been promoted to PirateRedtailcharters.com has been promoted to PirateRedtailcharters.com has been promoted to PirateRedtailcharters.com has been promoted to PirateRedtailcharters.com has been promoted to PirateRedtailcharters.com has been promoted to PirateRedtailcharters.com has been promoted to PirateRedtailcharters.com has been promoted to Pirate
I have fished on the Grady several times and while it is a seaworthy and a comfortable ride, it had to be my most miserable experience offshore. The heat that developed was overwhelming. It barely allowed a breeze even in the back end of the boat. We were all miserable and each time several people got sick who normally don’t. The cabin is so small even with air conditioning you can’t ride there in the gulf. Don’t let the pretty pictures on the internet of a set table with a bottle of wine as a centerpiece fool you. Did I mention it was hot? Lol. Not bashing the build or quality of a Grady just speaking the truth.
Redtailcharters.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #8
photofishin
Registered Users-pm+

photofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Pirate
I will agree with others that a cat is comfortable when sitting still in sloppy seas, however loading/unloading a cat versus most center consoles is a PITA in my opinion, and as mentioned, you HAVE to have autopilot or you'll wear your arms out steering the darn thing. Look into Cape Horn. One of the smoothest riding center consoles I've been on. They're built like tanks and will take the chop when most other boats are in the marina.
photofishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2018, 09:24 AM   #9
Momma's Worry
Registered Users-pm+

Momma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to PirateMomma's Worry has been promoted to Pirate
Grady-White

2016 PowerBoat Guide
www.powerboatguide.com
Specifications
Length w/Pulpit ..................
30'2"
Hull Length ........................
28'0"
Beam ....................................
9'6"
Hull Draft ..............................
1'6"
Dry Weight ......................
6,781#
Fuel ..............................
207 gals.
Water .............................
32 gals.
Max HP ................................
Hull Type .........................
Deep-V
Deadrise Aft ..........................
20°
T
he Grady-White 282 Sailfish is an updated version of the best-
selling 272 Sailfish (1994–2000), one of the best boats in her
class for cockpit space, fishability, and build quality. Originally
designed with an aft bench seat and transom rigging station, the
cockpit of the 282 Sailfish was redesigned in 2005 to include an
aft fish box and a space-saving foldaway rear bench seat in place
of the fixed rear seat. Standard features include an integrated
swim/dive platform, 40-gallon lighted livewell (under companion
seat), cushioned fish boxes, anchor locker, cockpit lights, raw-
water washdown, cockpit bolsters, transom door, insulated cooler,
cockpit shower, gunnel rod holders, and trim tabs. Belowdecks,
the well-appointed cabin with teak and holly sole includes a galley
with microwave and fridge, enclosed head/shower, midcabin berth,
and convertible dinette/V-berth forward. Wide walkaways around
the cabin are a plus, and with over 200 gallons of fuel capacity,
the 282 has plenty of range. A heavily built boat with exceptional
fit and finish, the 282 Sailfish tops out at close to 40 knots with
twin Yamaha 250s.

Momma's Worry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2018, 09:57 AM   #10
Doghouse2
Registered Users-pm+

Doghouse2 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Some pretty good advice here. I’ve fished a lot of WA cabin boats in south la. No doubt a cc is cooler but it is doable. Issue is Texas weather sucks. 28 won’t have Bluewater range and if you really want to run offshore you need to step up to the 30 Grady Marlon or even better the 33 pursuit if you have three Bluewater bug.

It isn’t just he size and fuel capacity. Both of those have generators and have A/C. Which means u could easily blow the ac into the helm area thereby minimizing the heat.

I will say that while the 30 Grady rides waaay better than the 28 the comment above about sea sickness on the Grady is right. Never seen as many people cocnsistantly sick as I did on the Grady. I think it is the roll motion and fact that it isn’t that fast so u go up and down every wave and spend more time doing it trying to get offshore. Just a different deal than a high speed cc
Doghouse2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message