Don't use these split snap quick change thingys - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2018, 02:54 PM   #1
TXBohunk
Registered Users-pm+

TXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to Pirate
Don't use these split snap quick change thingys

I bought a pack and thought they would work for lure chunking. I mean, look at them, how could a jig head get off that? Well, somehow it does. In probably less than 200 casts, I have lost one 1/8 oz jig head with hogie and a pink corkie. This was on two different days.

The corkie one was on black Friday. I chunked out the lure and twitched it and had a strike. The fish was on! It was a 14" trout, but when I pulled the fish up to me, I did not see the corkie. Did he swallow it? Nope, the corkie had come off the snap and somehow the split snap thingy had "hooked" into the spec's lip. Instead of digging a hook out of the lip, I had to dig the snap out. Very weird. Wish I had my camera with me.

The jighead just flew off, as I casted it. ("casted" doesn't look right, but is how I always have said it)

Anyway, I threw those things away.
Attached Images

TXBohunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2018, 02:58 PM   #2
Texashookset
second to the last....

Texashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to PirateTexashookset has been promoted to Pirate
Leave the “ed” off.
Texashookset is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
boom!
Registered Users-pm+

boom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirate
Using braid?
boom! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2018, 03:33 PM   #4
TXBohunk
Registered Users-pm+

TXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to PirateTXBohunk has been promoted to Pirate
yes, braid. no mono leader
TXBohunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #5
boom!
Registered Users-pm+

boom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirate
Was the clip still on the line, or gone with the lures?
boom! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #6
johnbutte
Registered Users-pm+

johnbutte has been promoted to Piratejohnbutte has been promoted to Piratejohnbutte has been promoted to Piratejohnbutte has been promoted to Piratejohnbutte has been promoted to Piratejohnbutte has been promoted to Piratejohnbutte has been promoted to Piratejohnbutte has been promoted to Piratejohnbutte has been promoted to Piratejohnbutte has been promoted to Piratejohnbutte has been promoted to Pirate
I like the kvd snaps. Simple and sturdy.
johnbutte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2018, 03:53 PM   #7
Fishin' Soldier
Can't be what you ain't.

Fishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to Pirate
Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBohunk View Post
I bought a pack and thought they would work for lure chunking. I mean, look at them, how could a jig head get off that? Well, somehow it does. In probably less than 200 casts, I have lost one 1/8 oz jig head with hogie and a pink corkie. This was on two different days.

The corkie one was on black Friday. I chunked out the lure and twitched it and had a strike. The fish was on! It was a 14" trout, but when I pulled the fish up to me, I did not see the corkie. Did he swallow it? Nope, the corkie had come off the snap and somehow the split snap thingy had "hooked" into the spec's lip. Instead of digging a hook out of the lip, I had to dig the snap out. Very weird. Wish I had my camera with me.

The jighead just flew off, as I casted it. ("casted" doesn't look right, but is how I always have said it)

Anyway, I threw those things away.

The exact brand and exact story happened to me as well. I have a pic of it somewhere. 16" trout with the clip hooked into his mouth.

Last week I saw some Norman speed clips at academy for $1.99 I think. I bought a pack. Sunday the 2nd I had a maniac mullet on and caught an 18" trout. Had him circling me and about to grab his back when he just pops off and sits there. My lure hanging out of his mouth. I try to grab for him, miss and I am left with just the clip on end of my line. It immediatly was cut off and direct tie to my lure. Never again. It was put on correctly as I double checked that. Caught numerous fish before that happened as well.

Braid with 4' of 20# flouro leader.
Fishin' Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #8
BretE
It ain't easy bein me.........

BretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to Pirate
I lost several Corkies using Norton clips before I finally gave up on them. Love their Sand Eels, hate their speed clips....
BretE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2018, 04:40 PM   #9
Firetigr
Registered Users-pm+

Firetigr has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFiretigr has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFiretigr has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFiretigr has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFiretigr has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFiretigr has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFiretigr has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFiretigr has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFiretigr has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFiretigr has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFiretigr has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Yep
Learned my lesson long ago. Tie my leader straight to my jig head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Firetigr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2018, 06:36 PM   #10
teamfirstcast
Registered Users-pm+

teamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirate
Funny coincidence but I tried those in a smaller size - 25lb version this past weekend, and after changing lures a few times I could see they were getting bent out of shape! So, the whole package was dumped into the bay never to be seen again nor allow a failure for me using those clips. Not for me.
teamfirstcast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message