Mono vs Braid vs Fluorocarbon Line - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #11
dk2429
Jeremiah 29:11

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
Braid is so slick it bites down into itself. So anytime you catch a fish or even simply the pressure of setting the hook with no fish there will pull that line down into the rest of the spool. Then you reel and cast again. When your line gets to that point on the spool it comes to an abrubt stop with no backlash due to the line snugged down into the rest of the spool.

You see this a lot with any braid size under 30# test. Although 40# test is way overkill it will limit the braid spool bite on hook set.
30# Fins Windtamer is what I use. I had a bad experience trying 20# so I stick with 30. 832 and Slick 8 have all given me the same problem, also J-Braid X8.

What do y'all do to try and prevent this? Or just deal with it?
dk2429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2018, 02:29 PM   #12
johnsons1480
Registered Users-pm+

johnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Piratejohnsons1480 has been promoted to Pirate
I'll be the odd man out. I use 12 lb mono on my topwater rod and 12 lb fluoro on my plastic rod. Only use braid on my spinning rods.
johnsons1480 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #13
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
I agree, 30 is the better size for casting reels for sure.

One exception - Smackdown from Seaguar is super thin.. go with the 40lb.
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2018, 02:37 PM   #14
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate

I'm assuming you're talking about Grems description of the line biting into itself. Some of that is brand dependent.. Slick 8 seems to do it a lot, while Suffix performance ( a much thicker braid) does not. All the rest of the lines seem somewhere in between.

I put braid on spool, then I go outside and tie the end to a tree limb and back way down the street (football feild might work or something similar), then after I hit the bottom of the spool I tighten the drag down and reel it all back on with tension. This won't stop it all from happening but the base is on super tight and makes what is on the spool less 'cushy'.

Luckily I live on a long street and I just have to look cray cray for a couple of minutes but it works for me LOL.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:42 PM   #15
dk2429
Jeremiah 29:11

dk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Piratedk2429 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutsupport View Post

I'm assuming you're talking about Grems description of the line biting into itself. Some of that is brand dependent.. Slick 8 seems to do it a lot, while Suffix performance ( a much thicker braid) does not. All the rest of the lines seem somewhere in between.

I put braid on spool, then I go outside and tie the end to a tree limb and back way down the street (football feild might work or something similar), then after I hit the bottom of the spool I tighten the drag down and reel it all back on with tension. This won't stop it all from happening but the base is on super tight and makes what is on the spool less 'cushy'.

Luckily I live on a long street and I just have to look cray cray for a couple of minutes but it works for me LOL.
I prefer 4 strand braid, which is why I use Windtamer. Sufix Performance has worked well for me as well.

The main reason I stick to Windtamer, I witnessed a Jack Cravalle get hauled in after an hour of chasing it down in POC on 30# Windtamer.. It kind of sold me on it considering he was still using it afterwards for the rest of the day.

Best part about it was all the shrimp soaker guys around Mitchell's cut looked at us like he was stupid hung up on the bottom running in circles back and forward
Attached Images

dk2429 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2018, 03:42 PM   #16
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
You can also make a super long cast. Pull out another 10 yards or so. Then put a few wraps of electrical tape at that deep point mid spool. It will limit this as well.

30 is plenty as your reel best case scenario with best of the best drag washers will only give you about 15#. I know some claim more but lock down your drag and put a scale to it. 15 is A LOT! You feel like it is going to pull younout of the boat or break your rod. But 30# is a lot and what i use on most of my gear including my bigwater stuff. And we land many dozens of sharks 6' -8' long every year.

All of these caught on 30# and landed in about 30 mins. My bass rods, trout rods, offshore trolling rods all have 30.

Some of my heavy cover flipping sticks have 50.
Attached Images

Last edited by sgrem; 11-28-2018 at 03:52 PM.
sgrem is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2018, 10:09 AM   #17
RedFlounderBass
Bayou Burner

RedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsons1480 View Post
I'll be the odd man out. I use 12 lb mono on my topwater rod and 12 lb fluoro on my plastic rod. Only use braid on my spinning rods.
Same here. (besides on one of my casting setups for mirrolures and CORKYS, I use braid)I like how fluorocarbon sinks faster than braid and mono so I use it for jigs and tails. You have to baby it at times but man I can cut through the wind and feel EVERY BITE. Use a quality line conditioner and line, don’t use that vanish ****, your lure will do just that, VANISH.
RedFlounderBass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2018, 10:09 AM   #18
BigJohnR
Registered Users-pm+

BigJohnR is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
30 LB braid with an albright knot to an almost 2' fluorocarbon leader has been my go to for years. Can't beat it. I use this setup with both my baitcasters and spinning reels.
BigJohnR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #19
Cudkilla
Registered Users-pm+

Cudkilla has been promoted to PirateCudkilla has been promoted to PirateCudkilla has been promoted to PirateCudkilla has been promoted to PirateCudkilla has been promoted to PirateCudkilla has been promoted to PirateCudkilla has been promoted to PirateCudkilla has been promoted to PirateCudkilla has been promoted to PirateCudkilla has been promoted to PirateCudkilla has been promoted to Pirate
Everyone has their opinion and I am not here to contradict anyone. Here's what works for me.

I almost never use mono anymore. Except as shock leaders. Spectra is more cost effective on the long run, doesn't curl in cold weather, no stretch, thinner, extremely good bite sensitivity etc etc.. Only time I use mono as a main line is on a big game trolling reel. Even then the backing is spectra.

If you're fishing with braid/spectra mainline, fast action rods and going after hard fighting and hitting species where extreme hook sets are necessary, a mono shock leader gives you that added stretch/bungee cord/shock absorbing effect. Most fluorocarbon do not stretch. Neither does spectra.

I find that fluorocarbon has properties that are suitable for certain applications and I use it when I'm catching a lot of fish with abrasive mouths during the course of a days fishing, which will wear down mono pretty quick. Fluoro is extremely hard and abrasion resistant but have NO stretch. They are not easy to make a good knot and require you to use the right kind of knot and cinch it down well. This way I don't have check and change my leader often.

I also use it when fishing extremely clear water for shy fish because fluorocarbon is practically invisible in water. Sometimes when fly lining small live anchovies on small hooks to line to shy yellowfin tuna, fluorocarbon is almost a must.

Each has it's advantages. When we pop for big fish offshore, we almost always use a combination of a spectra mainline, mono shock leader spliced to a short section of fluorocarbon leader. Using wire only as a last resort for wahoo, mackerel etc.

For my inshore fishing, 20/30# spectra mainline to a short 12-18" section of 20# fluorocarbon leader is all I use, because my rod has a enough action to absorb the more energetic hooksets, fluorocarbon has the abrasion resistance I need with trout, flounder and reds and is nearly invisible when the water is clear. Fluorocarbon has the added property of being heavier than water so it sinks compared to mono. Helping get lighter jigs down faster.

Just me 2 cents worth.
Cudkilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #20
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk2429 View Post
I prefer 4 strand braid, which is why I use Windtamer. Sufix Performance has worked well for me as well.
Windtamer is good, and I agree the old Suffix Performace is good as well. Suffix Performance was my favorite for a long long time. The only downside to SP was the noise in the guides but that is the last parameter I teach people to evaluate for a braid. I wrote an article on evaluating a braided line a few years ago so each person can make their own decision of what they want to use. I see a lot of anglers choosing a braid based on only one parameter.. how smooth or quiet it is .. and then they start getting wind knots and its ***** to get backlashes out of etc. Thats only one parameter. there are several more important to look at like wind knots, how easy backlashes come out, line dig, casting distance, wear, etc etc.

Spot on, good note.

PS.. many don't know but suffix created an 8 strand braid (Suffix Performance 8 Pro - available in Europe) that's available overseas only. I used it this year for Musky and it's nice, it's like the old Performance but is much quieter in the guides. I guess you can tell I liked their lines.. I used the 65 and the 86lb and I was happy with it but for my trout and redfish rods right now I'm happy with the SeaGaur Smack down in the 40.

Last edited by troutsupport; 12-05-2018 at 02:40 PM.
troutsupport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message