Cracked t-top advice/suggestions - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 11-18-2018, 11:56 AM   #1
Wizness
Registered Users-pm+

Wizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to Pirate
Cracked t-top advice/suggestions

Went out yesterday and noticed when cleaning the boat there were 2 cracks on the tubing of my top. The time before last we went out it was pretty rough and I noticed the 3 screws/bolt that hold the front of the top to the console became loose. Before we went out yesterday I tightened the 3 bolts up pretty good and put some locktite on the nuts before we left home. The seas weren't anything crazy but we had a few good jolts, nothing out of the ordinary. My theory was since I tightened the bolts back up that with the motion/side movement of the top instead of transferring all the way down through the console it broke at these two points. I've had the boat a little over a year and honestly cant say if the bolts were SLIGHTLY loose before, but who knows. Going to have to get some quotes and see what it will cost to fix. Any theories on why it happened all of a sudden after 20 years? Best ways to repair? Just seems odd after tightening those three bolts it happened to crack but who knows. Hoping some good welding repair will do the trick. And yes all that excess 5200 is from the previous owner.

One more thing i was thinking is I have t-top shade extension that hangs about 4ish feets back. It bounces around constantly when moving but I'm wondering if since it hangs off the back if the movement of the whole top is increased more so. Almost like using a cheater pipe on a stuck bolt if that makes since. Possible stressing things out more by adding more leverage.

Any reccomendations for repairs? I don't mind getting it repaired and just touching up the sections. I won't looks pretty but my boat isn't a show boat anyways.
Attached Images

Wizness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
Robert.Parson
Formerly known as parsrobc

Robert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to PirateRobert.Parson has been promoted to Pirate
Millennium Marine fixed mine.
Does beautiful welds. But I don’t know how that would work on a powder coat.
Saltwater is already getting in there with the crack though.
Might be worth it to remove it after welding and get it all recoated if finances allow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robert.Parson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
Wizness
Registered Users-pm+

Wizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to PirateWizness has been promoted to Pirate
I've used millennium marine before as well. He made the holders for my ttop extension. If repowder coating the whole top is the only option not sure if it would be worth it. Wish the previous owner never powder coated it to begin with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2018, 10:49 PM   #4
Mrbigglesworth
Registered Users-pm+

Mrbigglesworth is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
My boat is currently at JZ custom rails in kemah getting the exact same thing fixed. He does good work.
Mrbigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #5
acoastalbender
Registered Users-pm+

acoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirate
It looks to me like if you fix it, will happen again ... legs are attached to the console but the firmer attachment would have been to the floor ... it looks like the crossmembers (horizontal/angled) are a much smaller diameter which would allow for more movement and of course all that weight up top puts a lot of strain on what's below ... I'd start over ...m.02

acoastalbender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2018, 06:09 PM   #6
CLVL
Registered Users-pm+

CLVL has been promoted to PirateCLVL has been promoted to PirateCLVL has been promoted to PirateCLVL has been promoted to PirateCLVL has been promoted to PirateCLVL has been promoted to PirateCLVL has been promoted to PirateCLVL has been promoted to PirateCLVL has been promoted to PirateCLVL has been promoted to PirateCLVL has been promoted to Pirate
Get it fixed - it will break more, and you will be tying your Ttop on somewhere offshore to keep it from ripping off. You may have to sleeve that break on the side of the console. Fixing powdercoat is about impossible without taking the entire top off, but he may have some suggestions. You could spot-paint the weld areas.

And the TTop extension is adding some additional load, but whether it is causing the break would again take someone with some experience building tops to take a look at your top.
CLVL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2018, 08:56 AM   #7
FishingFanatic96
Registered Users-pm+

FishingFanatic96 has been promoted to PirateFishingFanatic96 has been promoted to PirateFishingFanatic96 has been promoted to PirateFishingFanatic96 has been promoted to PirateFishingFanatic96 has been promoted to PirateFishingFanatic96 has been promoted to PirateFishingFanatic96 has been promoted to PirateFishingFanatic96 has been promoted to PirateFishingFanatic96 has been promoted to PirateFishingFanatic96 has been promoted to PirateFishingFanatic96 has been promoted to Pirate
Speaking from experience... it is just a matter of time before it will crack again. We welded ours twice and after it re-cracking again we ended up replacing the whole pipe with higher gauge pipe. I'd spend the money and fix it right the first time.
FishingFanatic96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2018, 08:42 PM   #8
Wizness
Registered Users-pm+

Just a little update. Got a quote today for the repairs and beefing it up. Price would be for me taking the top off and unwiring stuff which isnt a big deal..just will take a bit time. Looking at 1400 and that's with repowder coating the top. I'll attach a drawing more or less of what we discussed. New pipes are obviously the blue lines. Would also add a few rod holders on top while I'm at it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Wizness; 11-20-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #9
ElGatoLoco
Registered Users-pm+

ElGatoLoco has been promoted to PirateElGatoLoco has been promoted to PirateElGatoLoco has been promoted to PirateElGatoLoco has been promoted to PirateElGatoLoco has been promoted to PirateElGatoLoco has been promoted to PirateElGatoLoco has been promoted to PirateElGatoLoco has been promoted to PirateElGatoLoco has been promoted to PirateElGatoLoco has been promoted to PirateElGatoLoco has been promoted to Pirate
If you’re able to to back support legs to the floor and tie them in with weld to the leaning post.

This will give more support to the top.

Tom
ElGatoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2018, 08:32 AM   #10
JWT
Registered Users-pm+

JWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to PirateJWT has been promoted to Pirate
Confirm your center console isn't loose, otherwise this will be a never ending problem.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
JWT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message