Recommendation for Mono Line - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2018, 08:34 AM   #1
bassplayer
Registered Users-pm+

bassplayer has been promoted to Piratebassplayer has been promoted to Piratebassplayer has been promoted to Piratebassplayer has been promoted to Piratebassplayer has been promoted to Piratebassplayer has been promoted to Piratebassplayer has been promoted to Piratebassplayer has been promoted to Piratebassplayer has been promoted to Piratebassplayer has been promoted to Piratebassplayer has been promoted to Pirate
Recommendation for Mono Line

Looking for a good recommendation for 20# mono line. Looking for thin diameter, good abrasion resistant and smooth casting. I am currently using Berklee "Iron Silk" but about to run out due to being discontinued. Any good alternative to that, I will be happy.
bassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
bmc4041
Registered Users-pm+

bmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Piratebmc4041 has been promoted to Pirate
Recommendation for Mono Line

Perfect time to make the switch to braid. Lol. It may be a little frustrating at first but after a few trips it isn’t a big deal at all and you will wonder how you caught fish before. It’s amazing how much more feel you have. Can feel that super soft bite when they barely pick it up and every blade of grass or oyster shell. I feel like I’m fishing with a rubber band when I use mono now.

I still do have a reel or two with mono for certain conditions. My favorite mono for a while has been Suffix Siege.

Suffix Siege (blue package) is more abrasion resistant than the Suffix Elite (red package), with the obvious trade off being a little stiffer.
If you fish with a spinning reel and more open water I’d try the Elite. If you use a baitcaster and fish more structure, start with the Siege.
bmc4041 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #3
bassplayer
Registered Users-pm+

bassplayer has been promoted to Piratebassplayer has been promoted to Piratebassplayer has been promoted to Piratebassplayer has been promoted to Piratebassplayer has been promoted to Piratebassplayer has been promoted to Piratebassplayer has been promoted to Piratebassplayer has been promoted to Piratebassplayer has been promoted to Piratebassplayer has been promoted to Piratebassplayer has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc4041 View Post
Perfect time to make the switch to braid. Lol. It may be a little frustrating at first but after a few trips it isn’t a big deal at all and you will wonder how you caught fish before. It’s amazing how much more feel you have. Can feel that super soft bite when they barely pick it up and every blade of grass or oyster shell. I feel like I’m fishing with a rubber band when I use mono now.

I still do have a reel or two with mono for certain conditions. My favorite mono for a while has been Suffix Siege.

Suffix Siege (blue package) is more abrasion resistant than the Suffix Elite (red package), with the obvious trade off being a little stiffer.
If you fish with a spinning reel and more open water I’d try the Elite. If you use a baitcaster and fish more structure, start with the Siege.
Appreciate. I actually do use braided but only with my popping cork/live bait set-ups, mono only for my soft-plastic/lure setups. I like using mono for my softplastics because the line seems to sink faster. Suffix Siege looks pretty good.
bassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #4
photofishin
Registered Users-pm+

photofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Piratephotofishin has been promoted to Pirate
I've always used Stren Clear Blue for mono on fresh and saltwater reels (not offshore). It's easy to see, it casts well and the break strength matches what it says on the box.
photofishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #5
Puddle_Jumper
Registered Users-pm+

Puddle_Jumper has been promoted to PiratePuddle_Jumper has been promoted to PiratePuddle_Jumper has been promoted to PiratePuddle_Jumper has been promoted to PiratePuddle_Jumper has been promoted to PiratePuddle_Jumper has been promoted to PiratePuddle_Jumper has been promoted to PiratePuddle_Jumper has been promoted to PiratePuddle_Jumper has been promoted to PiratePuddle_Jumper has been promoted to PiratePuddle_Jumper has been promoted to Pirate
I like Berkley Trilene big game.. Works well for me
Puddle_Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #6
Popperdave
Registered Users-pm+

Popperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to PiratePopperdave has been promoted to Pirate
I like Trilene XL small diameter and good strength. But I wouldn't use anyrhing over 14#. 20# mono is just to stiff and unruly to cast. I do use 20# for my leader material on my braid setups.
Popperdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
ReedA1691
Registered Users-pm+

ReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to PirateReedA1691 has been promoted to Pirate
When I still used mono, I used Berkely Trilene Big Game & Ande. But I agree with the above comment on heavy mono being a beast for casting. I used to use 14# on my spinners for fishing the jetties or soaking bait in the surf (along with a 30# mono leader) and 10# mono on my baitcasters for chunking lures (with a 30# fluoro leader).

But braid really is a game changer. It took me a good 6 years after most of my buddies were using braid to make the change. You could not pay me to use mono anymore.
ReedA1691 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2018, 11:07 AM   #8
DPFISHERMAN
DP FISHERMAN

DPFISHERMAN has been promoted to PirateDPFISHERMAN has been promoted to PirateDPFISHERMAN has been promoted to PirateDPFISHERMAN has been promoted to PirateDPFISHERMAN has been promoted to PirateDPFISHERMAN has been promoted to PirateDPFISHERMAN has been promoted to PirateDPFISHERMAN has been promoted to PirateDPFISHERMAN has been promoted to PirateDPFISHERMAN has been promoted to PirateDPFISHERMAN has been promoted to Pirate
P-Line is the mono that I use. It has the thinner diameter that you are looking for and holds up very well.
DPFISHERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #9
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Big Game and PLine CSXX are the two best monofilament lines I know of. Pline tested stronger with better knot holding ability as well.

Monofilament has a density slightly less than water so it actually floats. Braids act differently but mostly float do to air entrapped in the line. But if you use a leader of 3'+ its not really an issue. The sensitivity with braid far outweighs monos ability. That said, mono is great for topwater plugs and anything that is a floater diver.

20lb mono is way overkill for soft plastics for trout, reds, and even big flounder unless you're fishing big rocks and need the power to break off hooks that are getting stuck or have the increased abrasion resistance. I'd go with 10lb or 12lb that's plenty.

I do agree with the others that 30lb braid is better for soft plastics, it's also better for suspending plugs.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:18 AM   #10
RedFlounderBass
Bayou Burner

RedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to PirateRedFlounderBass has been promoted to Pirate
I use all 3 types of line for fishing and for Topwaters, I still use mono/copoly.
12# McCoys Xtra clear is what I use mostly. I have to order it but it’s way better than big game to me. Limp, very abrasion resistant, and cheap. Lasts a long time too. One of my Bass fishing tourney friends turned me on to it years ago. He uses it for everything.
RedFlounderBass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message