Rain Gear - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
pocfishin
Registered Users-pm+

pocfishin has been promoted to Piratepocfishin has been promoted to Piratepocfishin has been promoted to Piratepocfishin has been promoted to Piratepocfishin has been promoted to Piratepocfishin has been promoted to Piratepocfishin has been promoted to Piratepocfishin has been promoted to Piratepocfishin has been promoted to Piratepocfishin has been promoted to Piratepocfishin has been promoted to Pirate
Rain Gear

Looking at buying Simms Challenger Bibs and Jacket.
https://www.simmsfishing.com/challenger-bib
https://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/ra...llenger-jacket

Anyone have experience with these?

The next level up of Simms jacket and bibs is out of my price range.

Any other recommendations for rain jacket and bibs?
pocfishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 03:48 PM   #2
WhoopIn2010
Registered Users-pm+

WhoopIn2010 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Anyone? I’m wondering the same?

Did you buy them by chance? If so, how are they?
WhoopIn2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 05:32 PM   #3
Muddskipper
fish control my brain

Muddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to Pirate
Only because you asked - I had a small SIMMS jacket used for back up i needed one day.

It was rarely used and not worn at all .... put it on and the jacket was falling aprt from the inside ....

I said, Its SIMMS I should send it in and they will take care of me ..... NOPE !!!!

The lady told me sorry - they dont make that any more .... and I could get half off which ever I wanted..... but from regular price.

I was none too happy - even tried to get help from FTU via their rep and got no where ....

I bought a Patagonia instead ....cheaper than what I would of paid for the SIMMS ....

I know this is not the place for a BBB complaint .... and that why I stated since you asked ..... but buyer beware
Muddskipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #4
RUFcaptain
Registered Users-pm+

RUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to PirateRUFcaptain has been promoted to Pirate
My go to rain gear is a 15+ year old Simms Gortex rain jacket, the thing gets abused, travelled all over the globe and never let me down. As to the full rain gear, I wouldn’t bother unless you’re really expecting long term rain exposure. A buddy showed up in a full blown orange Simms rain suit, it looked ridiculous.
RUFcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2019, 08:33 AM   #5
habanerojooz
Registered Users-pm+

habanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Pirate
I bought a green camo Challenger bib last year. It is very nice. It is also hanging in my closet and has never been used.

I keep a roll top dry bag stuffed with a cheap rain slicker and rain pants on the boat. If I get caught in the rain during the summer, the slicker is all that I need. It's too hot and humid during the summer for the rain pants and I'm dressed in fishing shorts and water shoes so I don't mind getting those wet.

I foresee using the bib on cold wet days and when I'm wearing more clothes. But the reality for me is, how many cold and wet days like that will I be going out?

It's easier to keep a set of rain gear stuffed in a dry bag permanently on the boat than to haul it around every time I think it is going to rain. But I don't want to store my Simms gear that way. Silly me.

Last edited by habanerojooz; 07-11-2019 at 08:42 AM.
habanerojooz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #6
troutsupport
Site Sponsor

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
depends on what you want it for too, Frogtoggs make nice inexpensive light rain gear you can keep stored. I love my Simms stuff for winter.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:52 AM   #7
habanerojooz
Registered Users-pm+

habanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Piratehabanerojooz has been promoted to Pirate
For the slicker rain jacket, I settled on a generic brand (Compass 360) that I found at Dick's. Moderately priced, good material, breathes nicely, sealed zippers and taped seams. The soft material makes it easy to roll up, stuff into a dry bag, and permanently leave in the boat.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...pltpntjcktxapo

I love my G3 Guide jacket during winter wades. The strap on the cuff that prevents your arm from getting wet when you reach into the water to land or release a fish is the bomb.
habanerojooz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #8
c hook
Registered Users-pm+

c hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Piratec hook has been promoted to Pirate
tarpon ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by habanerojooz View Post
For the slicker rain jacket, I settled on a generic brand (Compass 360) that I found at Dick's. Moderately priced, good material, breathes nicely, sealed zippers and taped seams. The soft material makes it easy to roll up, stuff into a dry bag, and permanently leave in the boat.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...pltpntjcktxapo

I love my G3 Guide jacket during winter wades. The strap on the cuff that prevents your arm from getting wet when you reach into the water to land or release a fish is the bomb.
Dick's is on the no-go list for banning rifles. Simms all the way. occasionally we hear a negative review like above, but 99.99% of the time they replace no questions asked. if not the best close to it. i've got a simms low end rain jacket, that is every bit of 15 years old and still good.
c hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #9
bss1
Registered Users-pm+

bss1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbss1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbss1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbss1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbss1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbss1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbss1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbss1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbss1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbss1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerbss1 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
I have the SIMMS challenger jacket and bib. I use them to layer over regular clothes in the winter, mainly to cut the wind while drift fishing. They Really nice to have in cold wet windy conditions when I know I won't be wading and only fishing from the boat. For the rest of the year, I use a lighter rain jacket that can roll up and stow in a fishing bag. Like the others have said, a bib really isn't a practical choice for 9 months out of the year. If this is going to be your only set of rain gear, you will be better served by a more inexpensive lighter rain jacket. If you are looking to fill a niche in your foul weather gear arsenal, then this is some nice stuff!
bss1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2019, 12:31 PM   #10
HooknUp
Registered Users-pm+

HooknUp has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HooknUp has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HooknUp has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HooknUp has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HooknUp has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HooknUp has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HooknUp has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HooknUp has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HooknUp has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HooknUp has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)HooknUp has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Frog Toggs for me during the summer rain cheap and I've had one for like 8 years that has not failed me yet. I have Cabelas guide wear gortex bib and jacket i got on sale two years ago for the winter months.
HooknUp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message