Need a offshore fishing rod and reel - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Bluewater Board (Recreational Fishing)

Old 04-26-2018, 10:30 AM   #1
dabear
Registered Users-pm+

dabear has been promoted to Piratedabear has been promoted to Piratedabear has been promoted to Piratedabear has been promoted to Piratedabear has been promoted to Piratedabear has been promoted to Piratedabear has been promoted to Piratedabear has been promoted to Piratedabear has been promoted to Piratedabear has been promoted to Piratedabear has been promoted to Pirate
Need a offshore fishing rod and reel

What is a good all around rod and real that won’t break the bank for catching tuna and other fish. Something universal but will do the job. I have only been a couple times and using the party boats gear kinda sucks. I would like to go more so any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
dabear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2018, 10:45 AM   #2
WestEndAngler
Cast & Blaster

WestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to PirateWestEndAngler has been promoted to Pirate
Saragosa 10000 or 12000 spinning reel and spinning rod matched to the line you choose. I have mine spooled with 65lb braid and use a fluorocarbon leader. I really like the setup.

I have used smaller Talicas for chunking or jigging the spinning reel can handle that work too if you're looking for one.
WestEndAngler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2018, 12:30 PM   #3
Drundel
Registered Users-pm+

Drundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to Pirate
This might be a bit light, but check out the BG8000 (or maybe 6500). Tuna guys can confirm.

https://www.tackledirect.com/daiwa-b...ning-reel.html
Drundel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2018, 12:41 PM   #4
wiznut
Registered Users-pm+

wiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Piratewiznut has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drundel View Post
This might be a bit light, but check out the BG8000 (or maybe 6500). Tuna guys can confirm.

http://www.tackledirect.com/daiwa-bg...ning-reel.html
I can personally confirm that is a stellar reel for the money. I've put one of mine through 8 YFT so far in the 60-90# range and it hasn't missed a beat yet.
wiznut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2018, 12:48 PM   #5
Drundel
Registered Users-pm+

Drundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiznut View Post
I can personally confirm that is a stellar reel for the money. I've put one of mine through 8 YFT so far in the 60-90# range and it hasn't missed a beat yet.
That's good to know. I have 2-BG6500 for snapper, ling, mahi, etc. but haven't had a chance at anything bigger yet.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:01 PM   #6
ML56

ML56 has been promoted to PirateML56 has been promoted to PirateML56 has been promoted to PirateML56 has been promoted to PirateML56 has been promoted to PirateML56 has been promoted to PirateML56 has been promoted to PirateML56 has been promoted to PirateML56 has been promoted to PirateML56 has been promoted to PirateML56 has been promoted to Pirate
Wife say's I have too many in closet, PM'd you.-Mike
ML56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2018, 01:36 PM   #7
ShawnQ
Registered Users-pm+

ShawnQ has disabled reputation
A guy on our trip landed 2 YFT up to 95# on his BG6500 on a Terez rod. I was impressed.

I bought one.

For what it's worth, Academy has a 20% coupon right now. You can pick one up for $103.99+tax.

Promo code is CC201820PCT
You can only use it on the website. They don't carry the 8000 series. It's the same reel with a bigger spool from what I can tell.
ShawnQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2018, 01:52 PM   #8
NaClH2O
aka Salty Nacho

NaClH2O has been promoted to PirateNaClH2O has been promoted to PirateNaClH2O has been promoted to PirateNaClH2O has been promoted to PirateNaClH2O has been promoted to PirateNaClH2O has been promoted to PirateNaClH2O has been promoted to PirateNaClH2O has been promoted to PirateNaClH2O has been promoted to PirateNaClH2O has been promoted to PirateNaClH2O has been promoted to Pirate
For a reel, I recommend the Quantum Cabo 80 or 100. I have an 80 and so far, it's been a rock solid reel. Much smaller and lighter than the Saragosa 10000 (have one of those, too). The 80 has a max drag of 55 pounds and the 100 has a max drag of 60 pounds.
NaClH2O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2018, 04:35 PM   #9
Drundel
Registered Users-pm+

I don't mean to hijack dabear post, but what about rod's, anyone have a non-$250 that will hold up to YFT? I have my BG6500 on some that will work for blackfin, but it'd take me a long time to land a YFT.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:02 PM   #10
ShawnQ
Registered Users-pm+

ShawnQ has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drundel View Post
I don't mean to hijack dabear post, but what about rod's, anyone have a non-$250 that will hold up to YFT? I have my BG6500 on some that will work for blackfin, but it'd take me a long time to land a YFT.
For jigging or casting tops/swimbaits?

I bought a cheap pair of tsunami rods at Cabela's for $59.99. A cracked guide/eye insert caused me to lose a good fish. The rod handled 2 dozen blackfin before that. I actually liked the rod, just double check the guides before you buy it. Mine wasn't beat up (brand new), but I guess I didn't look close enough at the eyes. I ended up returned the spinner and the conventional rod. I'll likely go with a rod from Pinnacle Marine (google them). They make a nice looking jigging rod for $169.95. They're highly regarded on several sites. If that's too much, it seems the Ugly Stick Tiger Lite is a good buy at $65-80 depending on rating. Cabelas, FTU, West Marine, and Academy carry them as well as the common Shimano Trevalla, Terez, and the Taravela (which I can't find a review on). Go in and see them in person.
ShawnQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message