The future of Rockport - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > TTMB > TTMB
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-02-2017, 10:05 AM   #1
pocjetty
I hate rude behavior in a man.

pocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Piratepocjetty has been promoted to Pirate
The future of Rockport

I'm sure some of the usual suspects will argue, but the statistics all show that after a big disaster like this, over 40% of businesses never re-open. And another 25% fail within one year.

I just got word yesterday that the theater in Rockport is shutting down. Fewer things for tourists to do means fewer tourists. Fewer tourists means that bigger businesses struggle, and may very well leave.

I also know a number of people who got wiped out, who are moving to other places to be near family now. Every person who leaves lessens the potential work force, the tax base, and the customer base. Every business that shuts down means less jobs, which means that more people have to leave. It's a vicious cycle. Rockport doesn't have any real industry, other than tourism - although there are some plants down the road a ways. Rockport also has/had the most realtors per capita of any town in the nation. Those people just lost a lot of the potential sales inventory in town, for quite some time.

One thing that hasn't sunk in for many people yet is that the homes that fared the best were newer, and owned by more upper-income people. A lot of those that were wiped out were owned by people who work and keep the town running. Without a place to stay in town, they will have to go elsewhere to find jobs. Without the tax base, it will be difficult (probably impossible) to maintain all the infrastructure currently in place.

The town will still be there, obviously, but it could very well shrink to something totally different. A lot of the conveniences that we residents, and tourists, are used to could be gone. Some undoubtedly will disappear.

The people of the town are safe and well-fed at the moment. But time is critical. Quickly getting those houses that can be saved fixed to the point of being inhabitable. Getting those businesses that can be salvaged back up and running. And getting as many people as possible into some sort of temporary lodging that is within reach of Rockport.

If you are an entrepreneur, I saw two coin-op laundromats that were wiped out. Lots of people will need to wash clothes soon. I understand that there are some respectable quality pre-fab homes that can be transported and put in place quickly as rent houses. There are probably some who would be interested in the tiny houses that can be transported. If you are quick to act, there are some good opportunities.

I know some will think it's too soon to talk about things like this, but the longer we wait, the more shrinkage we will have. The future of Rockport, for the foreseeable future, will be shaped by how well we manage these first couple of months.
pocjetty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
CrimsonTideGuy
Registered Users-pm+

CrimsonTideGuy has been promote to GunnerCrimsonTideGuy has been promote to GunnerCrimsonTideGuy has been promote to GunnerCrimsonTideGuy has been promote to GunnerCrimsonTideGuy has been promote to GunnerCrimsonTideGuy has been promote to GunnerCrimsonTideGuy has been promote to GunnerCrimsonTideGuy has been promote to GunnerCrimsonTideGuy has been promote to GunnerCrimsonTideGuy has been promote to GunnerCrimsonTideGuy has been promote to Gunner
My hope is the fishing will continue to bring not just tourists but new home and business owners to the area.
CrimsonTideGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2017, 11:25 AM   #3
Haute Pursuit
Give it hell Remy!

Haute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to Pirate
It will get an influx of new blood once the infrastructure gets back to normal. I know it's a different economy, but the west end of Galveston always bounces back... and it's mostly people who don't live there full time that rebuild it. The old real estate addage about location rings true for Rockport. I hope the area doesn't lose its character though.
Haute Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #4
Wado
Registered Users-pm+

Wado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to PirateWado has been promoted to Pirate
We lost a few residents in Palacios after Claudette a few years back. Some people just said they didn't want to go through something like it again and we really weren't damaged to the extent of Rockport is now, not even close. We use Carla as the standard here and I believe Harvey surpassed Carla but if Harvey had veered this way say forty miles we would be in bad shape here. Pretty sure there would be shrimp boats in the cemetery just like during Carla. I'm not talking about them sinking literally washed into the cemetery. I know lots of folks here that vow they won't rebuild if they incur a total loss, including me.The school situation in Rockport might contribute to the relocation of families especially if they get settled into another town with kids. I certainly hope Rockport bounces back bigger, better and wiser after this. I have some friends there and one I met through 2Cool that had just retired in that area. I am afraid to contact him fearing the worst. I did receive news that my brother in laws sisters house made it but the neighbors was flattened down the street from the Sea Gun in Fulton.
http://news4sanantonio.com/news/loca...d-indefinitely
Wado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2017, 11:52 AM   #5
Whitebassfisher
Retired opinionated old fart

Whitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to PirateWhitebassfisher has been promoted to Pirate
Yes, for real estate it is location, location, location. It seems like the relatively close distance to Corpus would help it pull through.
Whitebassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2017, 03:36 PM   #6
txshockwave
Registered Users-pm+

txshockwave has been promoted to Piratetxshockwave has been promoted to Piratetxshockwave has been promoted to Piratetxshockwave has been promoted to Piratetxshockwave has been promoted to Piratetxshockwave has been promoted to Piratetxshockwave has been promoted to Piratetxshockwave has been promoted to Piratetxshockwave has been promoted to Piratetxshockwave has been promoted to Piratetxshockwave has been promoted to Pirate
Exxon is going to build that new plastic plant in portland.
rockport is going to be fine. If I was going to transfer down there I would live in RP vs some of the other towns there. I sure dont want to live in corpus.
txshockwave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2017, 04:16 PM   #7
boltmaster
cat lover

boltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirateboltmaster has been promoted to Pirate
I agree I think Rockport is going to have a really hard time for a few years. Much of The labor force will not be able to rebuild and has nowhere to live. I was really sorry to hear the theater is not reopening, I always really like to see movies there. I have already seen a lot of traffic on Facebook from small businesses that say they are not staring over or have already moved on. Rockport will certainly survive and there are far to many high dollar homes in the town to give up on. So it will take some work to get new businesses back in and rebuild places to a higher standard. But much of the small artsy charm may be lost for years if not forever.
Hopefully a lot of the bad elements will leave forever and be replaced with a better more productive bunch.
But the fishermen and duck hunters will always be there.

Property values are bound to fall and that will hurt the city as well.
boltmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2017, 04:30 PM   #8
Lone-Star
Registered Users-pm+

Lone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to PirateLone-Star has been promoted to Pirate
I was wiped out by Ike on Galveston. Back then there was a lot of doom and gloom about Galveston dying and never coming back. But it has and seems to be doing great. So while there wil obviously be some tough times ahead, I have no doubt the rockport/port A area will be back and thrive eventually.
Lone-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #9
nauti19
Registered Users-pm+

nauti19 has been promoted to Piratenauti19 has been promoted to Piratenauti19 has been promoted to Piratenauti19 has been promoted to Piratenauti19 has been promoted to Piratenauti19 has been promoted to Piratenauti19 has been promoted to Piratenauti19 has been promoted to Piratenauti19 has been promoted to Piratenauti19 has been promoted to Piratenauti19 has been promoted to Pirate
i can only say to look at boliver peninsula . dang near totally wiped out , back up and running fine , now .
if i owned anything mobile , you bet i would have it down there for someone to stay in .
keeping all in my prayers
nauti19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2017, 05:31 PM   #10
Lunkerman
Registered Users-pm+

Lunkerman has been promoted to PirateLunkerman has been promoted to PirateLunkerman has been promoted to PirateLunkerman has been promoted to PirateLunkerman has been promoted to PirateLunkerman has been promoted to PirateLunkerman has been promoted to PirateLunkerman has been promoted to PirateLunkerman has been promoted to PirateLunkerman has been promoted to PirateLunkerman has been promoted to Pirate
Some of what you stated will be true, but I think in the long run Rockport will bounce back.

One friend had travel trailer there, uninsured and he's gone and not coming back. SNL's inlaws have a place there built out of pocket and may not be insured, have not heard how they faired yet.
Lunkerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message