Quick fix for stingray?? - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #11
JimD
JimD

JimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to Pirate
First thing to do to keep from getting hit is called Rayguards first and shuffle for the second suggestion. Third suggestion is NOT to get excited if you hook a good fish and step back.

If you look at most people hit that shuffle they either stepped off in a hole with something in the bottom or stepped back when hooked up. Can you guess what is right behind you eating what all you stirred up while wading in many instances.

If you want to see a white man jump watch someone that is wading with a lot of rays and then steps on a flounder. Seems they can come up 30 inches out of the water even if they know it is a flounder Ask me I know.

Some good ideas if you do get hit. If alone I try to spend more time in the kayak than wading.
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #12
CoastalOutfitters
sea monkey rancher

CoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to Pirate
i'm a member of the 2 hit club...........

turn on a Q beam and apply a clean wet rag over the wound and hold the qbeam over it till it heats up, the water off the motor is not hot enough.

get to the doctor and get the wound cleaned out thoroughly, they will have to prob do some cutting to do so.

get on good antibiotics and stay on them thru to the end

healing is a slow and irritating process
CoastalOutfitters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #13
JimD
JimD

JimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to Pirate
Here is a really quick fix for rays.

Shows you how to clean and prepare a ray to eat.

http://www.corpusfishing.com/ray.htm
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #14
Bonito
Registered Users-pm+

Bonito has been promoted to PirateBonito has been promoted to PirateBonito has been promoted to PirateBonito has been promoted to PirateBonito has been promoted to PirateBonito has been promoted to PirateBonito has been promoted to PirateBonito has been promoted to PirateBonito has been promoted to PirateBonito has been promoted to PirateBonito has been promoted to Pirate
Won Mo Kasst has some good advise. Put meat terderizer on immediately and then heat. I always carry meat tenderizer in my box. Also works for Jellyfish and Portugees Man-o-wars.
Bonito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #15
uncle dave
Registered Users-pm+

uncle dave has been promoted to Pirateuncle dave has been promoted to Pirateuncle dave has been promoted to Pirateuncle dave has been promoted to Pirateuncle dave has been promoted to Pirateuncle dave has been promoted to Pirateuncle dave has been promoted to Pirateuncle dave has been promoted to Pirateuncle dave has been promoted to Pirateuncle dave has been promoted to Pirateuncle dave has been promoted to Pirate
I've been hit and it is very painful, heat will control the pain, but make sure the doc cleans out the wound thoroughly. The poison is contained in the sheath that covers the barb. 8 weeks later and a lot of antibiotics I was healed up.
uncle dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #16
FishinHippie
Me want redfish...

FishinHippie has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFishinHippie has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFishinHippie has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFishinHippie has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFishinHippie has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFishinHippie has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFishinHippie has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFishinHippie has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFishinHippie has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFishinHippie has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerFishinHippie has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Answer:

There is no quick fix. Apply high heat as quickly as possible and get to a docter ASAP!!!!!
FishinHippie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #17
Im Headed South
Registered Users-pm+

Im Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to Pirate
Read on here before about going to a army surplus store and getting some kind of small burner and a tin cup to heat the water in. Could fit all of it plus some meat tenderizer,and peroxide in one of those waterproof boxes. Been meaning to do it have not yet. Wife and kids are in rayguards but I'm to hard headed to give up my Patagonias.

Mike
Im Headed South is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #18
atcNick
Dont eat before wading a remote area!

atcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to Pirate
I've been wading since I can remember and I've never been concerned about stingrays until the last few years that I've been reading this forum and other fishing related sites. All this talk of stingray danger has got me thinking a little too much about it everytime I get in the water. Are stingray encounters that common? How many of you have been hit or know someone who has by a stingray? Other than shuffling your feet, what else can you do to protect yourself? Does the shuffle really work? What about ray guards?
atcNick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2009, 11:40 PM   #19
JLKing
Registered Users-pm+

JLKing has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJLKing has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJLKing has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJLKing has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJLKing has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJLKing has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJLKing has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJLKing has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJLKing has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJLKing has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieJLKing has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by atcNick View Post
I've been wading since I can remember and I've never been concerned about stingrays until the last few years that I've been reading this forum and other fishing related sites. All this talk of stingray danger has got me thinking a little too much about it everytime I get in the water. Are stingray encounters that common? How many of you have been hit or know someone who has by a stingray? Other than shuffling your feet, what else can you do to protect yourself? Does the shuffle really work? What about ray guards?

The only folks I have personally known who have been hit were hit while bouncing in the surf, and I know a lot of wade fishermen. I've waded the ULM over 100 days per year for the last 11 years and I've never had a problem. (I'm sure I just jinxed myself)

Obviously it's possible to get hit in the bay, but shuffling your feet, stirring up the bottom with your pole before you step out of the boat and being careful not to step back in your tracks lowers the risk substantially.

Rayguard boots can help lower the risk, but they are not 100% effective and people should be careful not to be lulled into a false sense of security and stat ignoring the safty measures listed above.
JLKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2009, 11:44 PM   #20
atcNick
Dont eat before wading a remote area!

atcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to PirateatcNick has been promoted to Pirate
That's kinda what I figured. Thanks for the reply. I assume they're even less of a risk in the surf, right?
atcNick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message